Background Image

1 votes

Penny Auction Sustainability - What Would You Do?

Started by PennyAuctionWatch , Nov 14 2013 07:47 AM
penny auctions business bidrail.com bidrail bidrail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

The sheer number of penny auctions that have come and gone over the past few years are evident that there are major flaws in the traditional pay per bid penny auction model. Bidrail.com is the latest penny auction to close its virtual doors. Read the e-mail that they sent to bidders, it isn't far from the truth: http://wp.me/pyXlQ-5zE - What would you do to make penny auctions long-term sustainable?  

• Williamkn and MartinNew like this

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

"Dear BidRail Customer, It is with great sadness and devastation that we have to announce the closing of our site.   When we first opened our site, we had great visions and beliefs of being the best most exciting penny auction site out there.  We offered so much to our customers and as you know we made many changes and improvements along the way to make our customers experience that much better.  All of which we thought would help take BidRail to the next level and to find much success.

However, due to the bidding practices of the penny auction industry, it has become almost impossible for any site to sustain itself and succeed.  More than 1/2 of the bidders out there refuse to bid against their so called "friends". In addition, many of the bidders subscribe to the "tagging" approach which means they will not bid on an item unless they get the first bid in.

Well we along with many other defunct penny auction sites are prime examples as to why this approach will NEVER work in this industry.  It is not a coincidence that.. the majority of penny auction sites have gone out of business.  By definition, the word auction means competitive bidding against one another (no matter who they are) on items that the bidder is interested in winning.

Our advice to all those bidders out there, if you have any interest in keeping this industry alive you need to start bidding like a normal person would bid on an auction they are trying to win.  Otherwise we will be awfully surprised if any sites make it other than the couple of large ones out there right now.   We never in our dreams imagined that this is what the penny auction would turn out to be. We have devoted our lives to BidRail for the past three years. We always put 100% of our efforts into running a great website. When the funds started to run low, retirement funds were cashed in and are now exhausted.  Despite having to pay severe penalties and taxes for early withdrawal from the 401k's and IRA's, it was worth it to cash out in order to be able to keep the site going and mail out as many items as possible.

We are now out of options. Every single revenue dollar was put right back into the company to purchase merchandise to send out to customers and to pay for overhead.  The bottom line is we never made a single dime on this business which has been detrimental to us given the time commitment over the past two years.  Instead we lost quite a bit of money.  We have done everything in our power to try and secure a bank loan and/or find an investor but unfortunately this was to no avail.

Banks are not willing to work with penny auction sites as they deem them as high risk.  So in the end we had to fund this entire project with our own money.  We were able to sustain this for the past two years as best as we can even trying to introduce new features to draw in more business.  We offered more than any other site out there.  We featured our bonus board, grand prizes, doubling of auctions and until recently we were giving $.60 per bid towards the Buy It Now option even though a vast majority of the bids were being sold well below that price.

When we introduced our new reserve auctions, we set probably the lowest reserve prices on the market and we allowed customers to win as many items as they wanted with no limits.  All of this has contributed to the downfall of BidRail because of the fact that the offset was supposed to be from the sale of bids.   But when a large group of our customers refuse to bid against one another to the point where we rarely had multiple bidders on an auction, this offset never happened.  The sites that are successful have multiple bidders on every auction some auctions with 10 or more bidders but that never happened on BidRail.

In addition, we ran into many other unexpected hurdles along the way including trying to advertise in the most expensive advertising market in the country.  We did tv commercials, radio commercials all in the NY metropolitan area but with our small marketing budget this did not bring nearly as many bidders as we had hoped and expected.

Other hurdles encountered included shipping costs as well as paying full retail for our merchandise.  When we first opened the site we

mailed our gift cards out just using a stamp.  We found many customers complaining that they never received their items and therefore we were forced to change to Priority Mail with tracking which became an incredibly high expense for us.

Additionally we were never able to secure a way of getting gift cards and items at less than retail value.  In order to run a successful retail business, it is necessary to find products at wholesale prices.  As we wanted to guarantee 100% that our customers received the exact item they had won (or one of comparable value) we had to purchase everything at full retail cost as we could not find an online gift card site that we could trust.  We knew that the items we were sending our customers were completely valid and legitimate.  Again this was unfortunately another issue that made it difficult for the site to sustain itself.

As the majority of our customers know, we were always in communication with our customers and treated them with the utmost respect. Please also do not forget that most of you have received hundreds of items and packages from us over the years so we are not just some fly by night site like so many others who took customers money only to run off and never send an item out or to be heard from again.  We sent thousands of packages out and most people made out quite well on our site.  Our main goal was to always put the customer first and to create a fun and fair environment for everyone to enjoy.  We were at least able to provide this for longer than most of the penny auction sites around.  We are devastated over the end result.  We had high hopes for BidRail and we cannot tell you how sorry we are that we unable to live up to them.

If by some chance, anyone out there is interested in investing in BidRail we would love to hear from you.  In addition, if anyone out there is interested in purchasing the site, script and/or name we would love to hear from you as well.  We will exhaust all avenues we can before closing down.  We could have done the cowardly thing as alot of the defunct sites have done and just taken off without an explanation.  But our relationship with our customers is important to us and we thought it was best to do the right thing and be honest and upfront about our most unfortunate situation.  We are terribly sorry that it has come to this but we see no other choice at this time but to close down.  We will truly miss BidRail.  It had become a part of us and we are so sad to see it go.  Sincerely, The BidRail Team"

What did you think of this letter?

I've seen this very thing happen to a number of sites. Unfortunately BidRail is right, when a small group of bidders ban together by "claiming" auctions and "befriend" other bidders... How do bidders even become friends and are able to discuss auctions in private? Via social networks. Bidders are using their bidding usernames on Facebook and contacting other bidders that way. Some have been said to threaten opponents.

The bidder who sent us this told me, " They used to send many many wins together but charged for each one so they made out on shipping costs (happybidday does that too). "

It's a sad day when another penny auction site shuts down.

What was your experience with BidRail.com? If you bid there please let us know what your experiences were with this site, as you are invited to do with all penny auctions in our forum. Join, it's free! 

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

Mikebgold
  • Mikebgold
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationStockport (UK)

How sad to see a business close, This business has taken everything from the owners and believe me I know how that feels.

I hope someone can come up with a solution before penny auctions die forever.

I have just started out as a penny auction site owner and this letter scares me as I have the same dreams as BidRail owners.

All I can say is I hope we can learn from there mistakes re advertising.What do we do what's best for our customers or what's best for our loved ones?

In a way the owners were the gamblers, putting good money after bad. 

Good luck and I hope they find a buyer soon.

mike @ www.wedobid.com (UK)

P.S

If anyone has any great ideas about 

Sustainability

I would love to hear them .

tsizzi
  • tsizzi
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

i really believe that the penny auction model has to elevate from the typical standard that everybody got used to. it could have been profitable for owners and interesting for users especially at the beginning but now that loads of businesses have been found guilty in using shrill and having misleading behavior towards customers something has to change. the chance of having a great product at a small fraction of its price is a desire will never end particularly if it is connected to a challenging game. Humanity will always cope with the wish to play games. probably the whole thing has to start giving the impression that strategic skills are much more important than randomness...this may be a good point to start from!

socialshoppingnetwork
  • socialshoppingnetwork
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

The only way to make pay-to-bid auction compatible with social features (Facebook login & chat) is to make it compatible with "bidding groups" simoultaniously.

The most simple & easy way to do both of these simoultaniously: "prefunded pay-to-bid" auction.

How does "prefunded pay-to-bid" works ?:

User interface design images:

Patent:

I am currently seeking for cofounders / partners to start the next generation.

Greetings,

Miko

socialshoppingnetwork
  • socialshoppingnetwork
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I've seen this very thing happen to a number of sites. Unfortunately BidRail is right, when a small group of bidders ban together by "claiming" auctions and "befriend" other bidders... How do bidders even become friends and are able to discuss auctions in private? Via social networks. Bidders are using their bidding usernames on Facebook and contacting other bidders that way. Some have been said to threaten opponents.

How dare you blame the consumer for using social media in forming bidding groups. Bidding group formation is perfectly natural behavior and there is nothing wrong with it. There is something wrong with the business model since it doesnt support it. :) 

The penny auction model has been unchanged since 2005, social media didnt exist then , so the penny auction method was never designed to be compatible with social media in the first place. Its time to change this! and update the method to modern times.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: penny auctions, business, bidrail.com bidrail, bidrail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users