Started by rockybiduser , Sep 16 2009 05:56 AM
swoopo timer issue

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

Craig when I first notified you of the double bidding we both know the system was actually double bidding as there were multiple double bids in the same second, that was not a refresh issue, i agree that the ones you had at lated dates were refresh related, but the original issue per you r on admision at the time was real.

Who in their right mind would want to set up overlapping bid buddies to double bid, that is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. The reason most did not complain is they were simply did not notice it, for you to assume 100% of the affected bidders set it to double bid on purpose is insane. You did fix this issue took a few days and you still allowed auctions using the bidbuddy during that time, that does not look to good if it is malfunctioning SHUT IT DOWN. However you never notified anyone of the issue. You could have completed a audit of bids to see who had double bids, and returned them or at least notified your customers of the issue and the fix.

That camera auction you claim was canceled, if so rwb63 who placed a few bids in that auction stated here he did not revieve his bids back?

The auction that you clamed was canceled was clealy not canceled, I provided the video of the last few minutes of that auction my mouse coursor never when near the red X, in addition, had it been a refresh it would have not shown active through 4 cycles of the timer.

Craig as you and other auction site owners know I am very detailed and document everything, including the numerous emails we have exchanged. I only asked you to be accountable, obviously that is not in your DNA, It is clear that several of these auctions were not canceled you may have refunded my bids but not the other unsuspecting bidders who were not shown as the winner. There were other auctions where I only had a few bids in that I documented issues and emailed you the information, I stopped bidding in those auction because of the malfunctions and someone else won, I was never returned any of my bids. You should have thought about the repercousions instead of the greed. Nice job of spinning the truth, I have backed up all my claims and even posted some of the documentation here, where is yours???

ADMIN Maybe this should have it's own Thread ...

rwb63
  • rwb63
  • Members
  • 743 posts

It's sad that it took this long to get a reply from Craig.
This was truly one of the better sites after the issues stated by BTW I was not very active on the site.
I recently started bidding again but have to wonder how long I will there was no reason to take this long for a reply and really it wasn't much of a answer to the problems.
Also the shipping for this site is the worst and Craig didn't answer this issue.
I have items that I have been waiting for for almost 4 weeks now.
There is no excuse for this if we need to wait this long they should pay us interest.
I do agree with BTW's post we needed a explanation a long time ago.

mparzy
  • mparzy
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Ok so here's the deal. I decided the other day that I was going to win a tv - AT ALL COSTS - and this was mostly because of the type of auction it was. It was a fingerbitter auction where no bots are allowed (I hate them) and had a very nice 46" TV that I really wanted.

So I go on the site - load up with some bids and get ready to go, I was gonna purchase a few more bids and "houston we have a problem" moment occurs because for some reason their site is having an issue and won't talk to paypal's site. well anyway - 3, 2, 1 and we are off to the races - I watch for about 1/2 an hour before i place my first bid - then another 1/2 hour and i place my second bid - finally i start to see some light and decide to try the brute force approach to clear out some lookey loo's and fend off others - I zip through almost all my bids and keep a few in reserve just in case - i hop over on the other tab of my browser to try and buy more bids but no - site is still messed up - I e-mail tech support earlier so i'll just keep trying - back to bidding - now i'm getting scared because i'm down to like 2 bids left - I bid them out and hit the other tab to try again, all the while the auction still going and hoping that it keeps going long enough for me to get some more bids. I try again and again to no avail - finally after an hour and a half i give up trying and go to bed but not after sending them yet another e-mail.

Well this am I recieve no e-mail - apparently noone works there at night it all just kinda takes care of itself and they hope for no problems. Anyway I find a phone number (yes they do have a phone if you know how to find the number) and give them a call - voicemail says they open at 8pt and since it's 11:30et shouldn't they be open - anyway about 11:45 i finally get someone on the phone who says her manager isn't in but she can have her give me a call because she can't do anything for me accept refund my bids.

So i wait and she calls back - well not to sound all condecending and stuff but if your going to claim company policy then you should really know what it is. After quoting to her, her own companies policy on system outages she stated that there was nothing she could do more than refund my bids. I said well not for nothing that's not right and I feel that it should be fixed correctly, the proper and correct way being to reopen the auction for 10 minutes like it says you will do in the TOU of your site.

Well get this - she says that they can not do this, they don't have that much control over the system and can't just force it to do things like this. Well then why does thier TOU say that they will.

We continue talking for about 20 minutes for her to see my point and that she and her company were wrong. No avail - basically they admit that thier site had a problem because apparently a bunch of people had that problem too - BUT are not willing to follow through with what the TOU says by reopening the auction to allow those of us that were stuck without bids to get in and try to get this back.

So I ask her what I should do with my bids and she explains they have other tv's that will be closing soon and i should look at them. Anyway - I'm not wasting another 6 hours in the middle of the night just to go through this again - and since Swoopo can't live up to the part of the TOU that i've included below - I think that we should all boycot them until they begin doing so.

Section 12 of thier TOU state:

A system outage has occurred if no bids can be submitted for items due to an unforeseeable disruption in a system. In such a case, auctions will be temporarily halted and the remaining times for the auctions, the current bidding price and the current highest bidder will be maintained. After the disruption has been resolved, the auctions will be continued and 10 minutes will be added to the remaining times for the auctions. Temporarily halted auctions are clearly indicated. Bids placed on a temporarily halted auction shall not be credited back on a user’s account and are not eligible for a refund for bids used or other costs incurred.

Apparently - even though they admit thier was a problem and that i wasn't the only one - They don't have to follow through - but i'm sure that if you and your significant other or one of your children wanted to have an account they would ban you for life because you are only allowed 1 account per household. which is kind of funny because only one person in each household is allowed to have an account?

See here from section 2

Each user may register only once using their postal address (registration using PO Boxes or equivalents is not permitted). Additionally, only one user registration per household is permitted.

but don't share (also from section 2)

The user account may be used only by the user and not by anyone else. Any abuse of the user account, be it to the detriment of third parties or to the detriment of Swoopo, shall result in the disqualification of the user and the reporting of a crime. In general, the user shall be liable for all activities that are undertaken using the user account together with the associated password.

This is all kinda starting to make me wonder what other parts of thier TOU they don't feel they should have to live up to and enforce - I can almost guarantee that this one is overlooked time and time again and they probably even promote doing it

Employees and relatives of employees of Entertainment Shopping, Inc. are not eligible to participate in Swoopo auctions under any circumstances.
Swoopo’s products and services are offered exclusively to private users and not to commercial or partly-commercial resellers. Swoopo reserves the right to exclude commercial resellers from the participation in the auctions and to close their user accounts at any time.

- BUT - I'm not sure - just seems like alot of things sell real cheap when there is noone really bidding on them but those same bidders that won those items never show up when the bidding is going crazy

Anyway - i've vented and i'm good now - guess i'm gonna have to find someplace else and more reputable to spend my hard earned money

PS. they did give me a some free bids and refund my bids but that wasn't the point.

- NEW COMMENT - So I decided i'm gonna go to the BBB and complain. Mostly because I'm just out to annoy them now since i lost hours and hours of sleep for nothing and I told my friend lizzy that I wasn't done yet - The kicker is that in my BBB claim I'm putting the claim for the amount of savings I should have had, had I been able to buy more bids and win the item. This means that I'm claiming the difference from the retail price they list, minus the auction end price, minus the amount of bids it would have taken to win. There is no way to know for sure what this number is so i'm going to use their tried and true method of posting exactly the lowest possible numbers. Others have one this TV with as little as 45 bids so i'll use this number plus my already placed bids and whala - a Winning scenario. I think this is perfectly fair I'm using their math how could i be wrong

Edited by mparzy, 13 November 2009 - 02:39 PM.
add a comment to the end

613bid
  • 613bid
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Yes I also had a problem with the handshake between Swoopo and PayPal. I could not pay for the Laptop i won via paypal, i kept getting an error "ERROR CALLING CHECKOUT 1" I started to FREAK OUT. THought, damn - i got scammed... tried to find a phone number - NOTHING to be found - I see you found one - PLEASE SHARE IT!

Anyways i sent an email and got a reply the next day - they actually called me, and asked me to try paying with visa instead of paypal because they were having problems with it.

I am sad to see you had such a harsh experience, but at least you got your bids back.

mparzy
  • mparzy
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Yes I also had a problem with the handshake between Swoopo and PayPal. I could not pay for the Laptop i won via paypal, i kept getting an error "ERROR CALLING CHECKOUT 1" I started to FREAK OUT. THought, damn - i got scammed... tried to find a phone number - NOTHING to be found - I see you found one - PLEASE SHARE IT!

Hey - Congrats on your win - I was a little creative in how i found it - First i tried the simple stuff - you know yellowbook and google business listings and wouldn't you know it there is no listing - so then i said how about the whois for the domain - well that also led nowhere - so then i figured i couldn't be the only person who has ever had a problem with this company so lets go to someplace that stores that information and wouldn't you know it - they have the address, the phone number and even the name of the person you want to talk to - here's a link to the report but i'll also just put the phone number in for those that would like that. <a href="http://sanjose.bbb.org/Business-Report/Entertainment-Shopping-Inc-1000000550>Click here</a> or the phone number is (650) 567-9611

i sent an email and got a reply the next day - they actually called me, and asked me to try paying with visa instead of paypal because they were having problems with it.

Yeah, even though they claim to never have problems it is clearly apparent that they do, I just wish they would hold up their end of the agreement for when things like this happen. I'm sure they would if you did something wrong hold you to it, but i guess it only works when it's to their benefit. I wouldn't give them your credit card number directly though - I use paypal because at least that way i'm protected against fraud and BS.

am sad to see you had such a harsh experience, but at least you got your bids back.

It wasn't about the bids, I could have cared less about the bids, and the money involved with getting them. I wanted the tv and was gonna do whatever it took to get it. I wanted that specific tv in that specific auction format because I don't paticularly care for those stupid bidbutlers and i'm gonna start looking for sites that don't have them. It has become very clear that the only person that makes out with the bid butler (bid buddy or whatever they decide to call it) is the company because they can take 48 bids in the matter of 1 second from several people.

As a follow up I did recieve an e-mail from "liz" with a nice gift of some bids to use. GREAT FOR ME - more bids and um about the auction being closed during a network/site problem here was her response.

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch.

I do apologize again about what you went through. I know that Jehnna put those
bids you used in the auction back into your account. They are available for you
right now. As we discussed over the phone, we cannot give you the auction item as
it is not part of our protocol. However, I do encourage you to try again in our
auctions. I added FreeBids to your account in hopes that you can win an item.
If this is not acceptable to you, please let me know and I can assist you in
another way. I can process a refund for the purchased bids available in your
account under your request. Unfortunately, we cannot sell the TV at the ended
auction price. As we want to make the situation right again, we believe that it is
fair to give back what you have spent in the auction. Please accept our sincere
apology as we do our best to prevent these things from happening.

I hope this clears things up, but if not, please don't hesitate to get back in
touch. You'll also find lots of helpful information at http://www.swoopo.com/help.html

Regards,

Liz

Well, Lizzy, Are you listening - I only said that I should be allowed to purchase the TV at the auction price because you guys did not follow through with your PROPER PROTOCOL which would have been to extend the auction after the issue with your site was cleared up. YOUR TOU CLEARLY STATES THAT DURING A SYSTEM OUTAGE ALL AUCTIONS ABOUT TO END WILL BE PAUSED AND TEN MINUTES WILL BE ADDED. You should restart the auction, add ten minutes to the clock and let it roll (I won't be there because i'm disgusted with this company but someone else may be able to benefit from it).

And about the only thing helpful on the sites help section is where it allows you to NOT be able to find the Phone number for customer service or maybe the TOU which you guys don't live up to anyway. Other than that the rest of it is useless except to someone who really doesn't understand your site.

Have a great day all

ME:7:

kw344
  • kw344
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I am also having issues with swoopo. I actually won an auction and have not received my tv. They kept telling me it had been shipped, however could never provide a tracking number. Today I put my foot down and they admitted that it had not been shipped yet because they had not paid the vender. They have now told me that they will be giving me a refund of the full value of the tv plus shipping. They stated I should receive it in 7 days.

The telephone number for swoopo is (408) 540-6148 It is on the Better Business Bureau website.

613bid
  • 613bid
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Got my 18.4" Sony Vaio last night. I won it on Nov 9th. VERY pleased with how fast shipping was - UPS. It is an amazing machine.... its actually 2 model numbers better than the one i thought I was getting! i didnt realize how big an 18.4 inch Laptop is....its a beast!!

EllaJames
  • EllaJames
  • Members
  • 668 posts

I still haven't received my item won on Oct 19th. I haven't heard from them as to the status despite the 4x that I tried to email them. I just keep getting computer generated responses. I'll try the phone number. Thanks.

chrissurra
  • chrissurra
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I still havent received my item that I used the bid "discount" on, I didnt win but bought the item. Since they have my money there should be no issue with paying the vendor and shipping my item.

If I dont get my item in 1 week I will be contacting them and issuing a chargeback via paypal.

I FINALLY got them to answer an email after sending about 10 with a "form" letter stating it hasnt been shipped yet but will be in the next few days.

chrissurra
  • chrissurra
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Finally received my auction, took about 3 weeks. Wish they communicated better with winners but I am enjoying my win.

mp25bs
  • mp25bs
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

what was the item you were waiting for? im waiting for the nokia n900 from them for a bit over a month now, and their support was telling me (this is few days back) that they dont know when they will have it in stock.

chrissurra
  • chrissurra
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

It was for the Onkyo home theater system, I called them and threatened a charge back. Once I did that they had a confirmation number and told me that it would ship via Fedex the next day.

I won a PS3 game also and that took about 2 weeks to arrive.

candy
  • candy
  • Members
  • 2,195 posts

In my humble opinion, Swoopo is nothin but problems. Every auction I was in, timed out & I was sent to try again page.

Their bid butler/buddy eats bids at an astounding rate too. If I was told that they had not paid a vendor & that is why your item did not arrive, that would be a HUGE Red Flag.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swoopo, timer issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users