Lowest Unique Bid Auctions

Started by suzyq , Sep 30 2009 09:51 PM

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

Just wondering if anyone has tried any of the lowest unique bid auctions. Is there any strategy involved or is it all luck? I must not understand them because it seems like just a guessing game. There has to be more to it.

(I'm thinking about trying -- Nick Lachey is hot!)

monikab
  • monikab
  • Members
  • 834 posts

i dont like them .

monika

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

I tried Winnit and I actually got the lowest unique bid, but that didn’t last long- about 5 minutes-they’re right about bidders coming in at the last few seconds.

It does seem like there is some strategy involved at Winnit because they send bidders signals and you can refresh the page to see if you’re still the lowest unique bidder, or if your bid is lowest but not unique:

See how close I was to winning? I could have probably bought a few more bids and won the Kitchen Aid. Oh well!!! The winning bid was like $0.86!!!Posted Image

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

Ryan
  • Ryan
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again, lowest unique bid auctions are just glorified traditional auctions. You will bid and bid until you are unique, and you'll be the lowest unique bid for about 10 seconds then someone else will pick your bid, push it up more, and repeat. You will get to the point towards the end where it is pretty clear that when you are no longer unique you just have to raise it up a little bit, like one cent, to regain the title of lowest unique. I am not a fan, because I think it's too complicated for users. The traditional is easier to understand.

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

you'll be the lowest unique bid for about 10 seconds then someone else will pick your bid, push it up more, and repeat.

Tried my 5 free bids -- I was lowest for about 2 minutes (and that was 2 hours before it was to end). Seeing that I was bidding on the cheapest thing there at the time, I'm assuming that it would be almost impossible to win anything of real value. I don't think lowest unique is for me.

tracie_n_AnCapMan
  • tracie_n_AnCapMan
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

It would appear that there is very little skill involved with these types of auctions. It is more like a regular auction with some element of random chance. This type of auction may be more easily categorized as gambling.

eshopper
  • eshopper
  • Members
  • 2,437 posts

I'm not a fan either.

madbid700
  • madbid700
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

I tried this at centseller and don't really get it. I feel like it's just a lucky guess. However it must make sence if people play it. I will not be going back again thats unique.

roundydchik
  • roundydchik
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the penny auction universe but after losing so much on the penny auction sites, with many of the big fishes in a lot of sites dominating and bidding aggressively, it gets kinda scary and a lot of patience is required it seems like. I started looking into the lowest unique bid sites and found that it's more tame. It's a lot like a guessing game, with unlimited number of guesses... so I guess the strategy is to bid early and spread your bids out in a variety of ranges.

I like sites like winnit and Snagoo because they give you hints, they tell you if your bid is unique or not or if it's the lowest or not and you just kinda go from there.

Winnit is a little frustrating because their hints are a little off plusl the bids are $1. I like snagoo better because they give you a maximum bid and customer service is pretty good. They don't have a lot of items yet because they are very new but I can see this site going far with the right audience.

Good luck to all the bidders out there!

roundychik

P.S. If you guys do plan to check out Snagoo, can you please help me and click on this link -removed by admin- so I can get free bids. :P

Edited by PennyAuctionWatch, 08 March 2010 - 06:23 PM.
it is in violation of our rules to post referral links

annab
  • annab
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

There is a clear strategy to lowest unique - its not just guesing game

but you need a good bids amount behind you to complete your strategy.

Not good to have winning bid hours or even less than an hour before the wend - leave that to your lat second - butt obviously get it in thre without missing so auction doesnt close on you.

Basically:

Find yourself a unique bid (may need to fish about but often lucky first/second time) relatively close to end, say an hour or bit less. . .then wait and watch it - best o find a few unique bids if poss as idea is to have that unique bid you got stay unique till you go in at the end and usually by placing all the bids you can under that bid exactly which then makes it the winner - comprendo ??? - so long as you are allowed that many bids - as some sites/auctions give a bid limit per auction otherwise if you got the bids you know you're prob sure to win so not always fair for others pehaps - dunno - i think the bid limit is a silly idea though as the site surely makes from the mpore bids used.

Only snag of course is - and where further strategy is also perhaps needed is when someone else maybe doing that same thing with a unique bid above yours and threfore wipes yours out when they go in to make theirs the winning bids but thats the game. I have won like this and find it quite exciting and far less laborious than the auction long run style.

But beware - at he vrey end - n lat few minutes, indeed seconds is where a ca;lm nerve is needed - its v v exciting sonetimes - and if you do have unique bids but not lowest very tempting to go in quickly and buy loadsa bids - clever! Just be aware that someone else with unique bid above you can do the same and wipe your unique bid you were counting on to make the winner out. But generally thatis the strategy

explains why winning bids a few hours before, or even minutes are rarely the winner.

So not best to go in too soon and thin you can win like that - you need to be there, with bids - at the end.

Once you win - its addictive though - so be warned!!

I like them though - better thrill than the auction style

amcoffee
  • amcoffee
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

I came across TheSmartbid.com a couple of days ago. They are testing the site in April. Anyone else try them?

dirtyjerz
  • dirtyjerz
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

There is a clear strategy to lowest unique - its not just guesing game

but you need a good bids amount behind you to complete your strategy.

Not good to have winning bid hours or even less than an hour before the wend - leave that to your lat second - butt obviously get it in thre without missing so auction doesnt close on you.

Basically:

Find yourself a unique bid (may need to fish about but often lucky first/second time) relatively close to end, say an hour or bit less. . .then wait and watch it - best o find a few unique bids if poss as idea is to have that unique bid you got stay unique till you go in at the end and usually by placing all the bids you can under that bid exactly which then makes it the winner - comprendo ??? - so long as you are allowed that many bids - as some sites/auctions give a bid limit per auction otherwise if you got the bids you know you're prob sure to win so not always fair for others pehaps - dunno - i think the bid limit is a silly idea though as the site surely makes from the mpore bids used.

Only snag of course is - and where further strategy is also perhaps needed is when someone else maybe doing that same thing with a unique bid above yours and threfore wipes yours out when they go in to make theirs the winning bids but thats the game. I have won like this and find it quite exciting and far less laborious than the auction long run style.

But beware - at he vrey end - n lat few minutes, indeed seconds is where a ca;lm nerve is needed - its v v exciting sonetimes - and if you do have unique bids but not lowest very tempting to go in quickly and buy loadsa bids - clever! Just be aware that someone else with unique bid above you can do the same and wipe your unique bid you were counting on to make the winner out. But generally thatis the strategy

explains why winning bids a few hours before, or even minutes are rarely the winner.

So not best to go in too soon and thin you can win like that - you need to be there, with bids - at the end.

Once you win - its addictive though - so be warned!!

I like them though - better thrill than the auction style

I decided to give Winnit a go last night for the 3D TV. I had the lowest unique bid from 8 seconds left until the timer ran out. Then it said waiting...and suddenly someone else showed up as the winner! Last time I bid there. I didn't care for it.

annab
  • annab
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

sorry to hear this - really i am - that has happened to me too, 8 seconds is enough for someone to just about do sthg to knock you i guess - thats where it can gte very tense making and i'm sorry you lost.

they are not for everyone

i do tend to go on the usual run penny auction sites more - but if i add up all i lost there too its about evens with these unique bid ones also, and as they are not so popular i would have thought it worth a go every now and again

i have won on the unique ones a couple times

annab
  • annab
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

also - if the bid you were working on was a liitle low - then you can often assume that someones else could be doing the same strategy (as i mention above in mypost thread here) with a higher uniuqe they may have, so always best to work with your higher unioque bids if you can.
its all about having - therefore, buying, of course - BIDS!!! hence: watch out if someone has won a massive bid package VERY recently b4 the auction you choose also.

Tones
  • Tones
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Just wondering if anyone has tried any of the lowest unique bid auctions. Is there any strategy involved or is it all luck? I must not understand them because it seems like just a guessing game. There has to be more to it.

(I'm thinking about trying -- Nick Lachey is hot!)

I have tried 2 lowest unique and 1 highest unique website. I found that the auctions without a bidding range (only lower limit but no upper limit on bid price) are just a game of luck. I would compare them to finding a needle in a haystack. On the other hand, when the bids are range bound, the game becomes one of strategy. I have looked around for a while for these types and so far only found one called Smart Bid (thesmartbid.com). I played around during their Beta testing. As of this moment have not launch yet tho. In my opinion, these type of auctions are by far much better than Penny Auctions. With Penny Auctions, you just blindly insert bids..

Snagoo
  • Snagoo
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hey, just FYI to all of you who are interested in Lowest Unique Bid sites... if you haven't tried it yet, head on over to the new version of Snagoo. It's free to bid, there are no reserves, shipping is free and the prices are ridiculous.

See you there!

John from Snagoo

W1zard
  • W1zard
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

This is an interesting topic - Lowest Unique Bid versus the typical countdown bid up model.

Personally I cant see how one method would require more skill than another. The timer countdown model is nothing more than a slugfest and the winners will mostly be the power bidders who are either loaded up with bids and are prepared to go that extra mile or a late comer who jumps in late on and gets lucky.

Lowest Unique Bid tends to be where people head to once they have been busted a few too many times by powerbidders and have run up a series of uncomfortable losses.

Lowest unique bid for me is probably a fairer more even playing field which isnt time specific. The first bid could turn out to be the winner so it doesnt require you have to sit around all day glued to your pc waiting for auction timers to end.

The penny up countdown approach makes an individual feel more involved right up until the end. This can then make people believe they have some sort of skillfull approach to it, but the reality is if you are up against someone who has just won a 500 bid bid pack and will happily use them up to land themselves that laptop your 'skill' will come to nothing and you will invariably come away as a loser.

I find a similar approach to online poker - Everyone totally over estimates their skills at poker and will wave goobye to a great deal of cash before realising they really are not that special at the game.

Maybe its an involvement factor - Maybe people feel less involved when bidding on lowest unique bid auctions as it feels like you have little influence over the final result.

For me I like the idea of finding an auction entering my level of investment relative to the value of the item and then sit back in the hope of catching a winner, so LUB suits me better than waiting for never ending timers to finish having lost my discipline and overspending by $40....:)

amazindeals
  • amazindeals
  • Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

I MUST START BY SAYING I AM OWNER OF THIS SITE SO THAT YOU DO NOT THINK I AM SHILL REVIEWING.

I MADE MY SITE TO MAKE LOWEST UNIQUE SITES GOOD AGAIN.
I TELL OU HOW MANY BIDS LEFT UNTIL IT ENDS SO 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, LEFT.

WWW.10CENTBID.COM A NEW SPECIES OF AUCTIONS!

Scoodaloo
  • Scoodaloo
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

10 cent bids ?? The bids are like $10!! Maybe not the most appropriate name? But more importantly... it might help if you remove... BPLOWERAUCTION
Your best auction script!

...and replace it with your sites logo or at least its title!!

To see a genuine handmade lowest unique bid auction please check out Scoodaloo.com. We have not used an out of the box script and we do have a logo :) You get $2.50 worth of credits for signing up.

charlie
  • charlie
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Has anyone tried bidbudgie.co.uk? I've registered with them and received the free credit they give to new members but am reluctant to play with my own money until i've heard some reviews from others!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users