Started by JusNikki , Nov 10 2009 03:54 PM

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

JusNikki
  • JusNikki
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I am a new member here, and very novice at penny auctions. I recently joined Beezid and already have some concerns.
I am frustrated because I should have had two wins so far, but got bumped both times after the timer hit zero.
I had placed bids at the bottom of the timer, had my name as high bidder
for a full second with the timer at zero, and then had the timer reset. If this is the way it's supposed to be, how does anyone win?

I’ve emailed them twice with questions, and have not received any response in four days. That to me is also a red flag. These are my questions for them if they watch this forum:

I would like to know how I am supposed to win if I'm the top bidder at Zero and it resets.
I would like to know why the Reveal Auctions that show as active really aren’t active.
I would like to know why I was charged a bid on a free auction.
And I would like to know why, when I had actually only spent 8 bids, my account showed I had spent 11.

I would really like to aggressively bid on an I Touch and a Mac for Christmas presents, but now I’m worried I’m being taken for a ride.

Any advice from more experienced Beezid users? There do seem to be
a lot of repeat winners.

biddor
  • biddor
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

JusNikki,

The reason the timer reset is because they either have Reserve Prices set on, or something is broken. Probably reserves.

The site is less than 1 year old (registered Jan, 12 of this year), and they already are auctioning off cars. Wish I was at that point!

The reason you may have spent 11 is because they can change the amount that each bid debits from your account. I'm not familiar with their site at all, but you might want to check if they have auctions that take more than 1 bid per placement.

caveninit
  • caveninit
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts

On many sites the timer will go to zero and freeze for a few seconds and reset. This is because so many people tend to throw bids in during that very last second and the clock plays "catch up".The auction isn't actually over until you see "Auction Ended" or "Sold". ..actually, a couple of times I have seen it flash "Auction Ended" but the clock reset again. It happens. Not all sites are like that, but it is something you will see frequently and it can be very disheartening. I no longer bid on sites that have clocks that do that.

yiddles
  • yiddles
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Here's my experience with Beezid:

I just learned about the site last week when they started advertising on the Howard Stern show. I too am a novice when it comes to participating in penny auctions, but I understand what they are and the inherent risks involved in playing.

Beezid is the first (and only so far) auction site I ever bought bids on. What convinced me to give it a shot was the level of professionalism of their website. Most of the penny auction sites I've seen look amateurish, i.e. bad site designs, pages filled with spelling and grammar errors etc. If a business looks shady, I expect it probably is shady. I work in marketing communications, so I recognize the amount of effort/investment Beezid has made in at least looking legit. ;)

After spending a day watching auctions to get a feel for how they work on Beezid, I decided to take the plunge and buy some bids. The first thing I went after was a bid pack to lower my per-bid cost. Having looked at the closed auctions list, I knew roughly what it would cost me to win the bid pack.

The first item I decided to go after was a high-end Playstation 3. I won it with 162 bids, with a final price of $17.99 (see my attached pic). I bought a couple more bid packs along the way to ensure I had enough ammo. I don't bid casually; if I'm going to bid on an item I'm in for the long haul.

The second item I went after was a nifty Darth Vader USB hub. (I'm a Star Wars geek, what can I say?) I won that with 5 bids, with a final price of 12 cents. :cool:

Obviously I haven't received my items yet as it's only been a couple of days, but Beezid did email me a confirmation after I paid and said they'd email again with tracking numbers once the items ship. I'll post an update once my stuff arrives.

I don't know for sure if I went up against any bots, but it didn't look like any were in use. My PS3 win came down to a classic bidding war with two people. Autobids were disabled for that auction.

I've never witnessed Beezid change the number of bids debited for each bid, and nowhere on the site does it say they would ever do that! I know you get 3 free bids when you register, so perhaps that explains why the counter showed the OP used 11 bids instead of 8?

There is also no reference made (or evidence) of reserves being used on Beezid. Why would anyone participate in a site like this with reserves, let alone unpublished ones?

And Like caveninit said, the timer issue the OP experienced is probably due to the tendency for many people to log their bids in the last second. I've seen the counter stall briefly after that final second and then reset while it updates. When an auction is truly over, it displays a "SOLD" message.

I hope this info is of some help!

Attached Files

yiddles
  • yiddles
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Update: I received my PS3 yesterday, shipped directly from Amazon. I didn't get a shipping confirmation via email as Beezid claimed I would, but the item arrived on my doorstep safe and sound. :)

613bid
  • 613bid
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

I would also like to confirm that Beezid is legit. I have won about 13 auctions on the site and got my first items last night ($50 home depot card, $25 starbucks card, and the Blue-Ray of Up!)

Shipping was a bit slower than i hoped but the customer service by phone was great- they always answer the phone and are very polite.

I am still waiting on, 2 cordless drills, a toaster, a remote control car, 2x $50 victoria secret gift cards, and an LCD keychain. Will update when those arrive,

613bid
  • 613bid
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Quick update: Got my toaster today, and it is actually a toaster worth $99. The one i was bidding on was supposed to be $49. pleasant surprise!

ls1
  • ls1
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I won 2 different items a ps3 game on 12/9 and a remote controlled cooler on 12/11 from beezid.
I emailed them yesterday for tracking numbers and they still have not replied.
On top of that today i called them early this morning and talked to someone about getting tracking numbers. They said they would call me back today with them which seemed a little fishy to me. Still havent gotten a call back :7:. Did everyone have as bad of customer service as I did and did it take as long for their item to ship?

ls1
  • ls1
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Just got my ps3 game today guess they are legit, but that doesn't change the fact that they have horrible customer service.

harleydude
  • harleydude
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Here's my experience with Beezid:

I just learned about the site last week when they started advertising on the Howard Stern show. I too am a novice when it comes to participating in penny auctions, but I understand what they are and the inherent risks involved in playing.

Beezid is the first (and only so far) auction site I ever bought bids on. What convinced me to give it a shot was the level of professionalism of their website. Most of the penny auction sites I've seen look amateurish, i.e. bad site designs, pages filled with spelling and grammar errors etc. If a business looks shady, I expect it probably is shady. I work in marketing communications, so I recognize the amount of effort/investment Beezid has made in at least looking legit. ;)

After spending a day watching auctions to get a feel for how they work on Beezid, I decided to take the plunge and buy some bids. The first thing I went after was a bid pack to lower my per-bid cost. Having looked at the closed auctions list, I knew roughly what it would cost me to win the bid pack.

The first item I decided to go after was a high-end Playstation 3. I won it with 162 bids, with a final price of $17.99 (see my attached pic). I bought a couple more bid packs along the way to ensure I had enough ammo. I don't bid casually; if I'm going to bid on an item I'm in for the long haul.

The second item I went after was a nifty Darth Vader USB hub. (I'm a Star Wars geek, what can I say?) I won that with 5 bids, with a final price of 12 cents. :cool:

Obviously I haven't received my items yet as it's only been a couple of days, but Beezid did email me a confirmation after I paid and said they'd email again with tracking numbers once the items ship. I'll post an update once my stuff arrives.

I don't know for sure if I went up against any bots, but it didn't look like any were in use. My PS3 win came down to a classic bidding war with two people. Autobids were disabled for that auction.

I've never witnessed Beezid change the number of bids debited for each bid, and nowhere on the site does it say they would ever do that! I know you get 3 free bids when you register, so perhaps that explains why the counter showed the OP used 11 bids instead of 8?

There is also no reference made (or evidence) of reserves being used on Beezid. Why would anyone participate in a site like this with reserves, let alone unpublished ones?

And Like caveninit said, the timer issue the OP experienced is probably due to the tendency for many people to log their bids in the last second. I've seen the counter stall briefly after that final second and then reset while it updates. When an auction is truly over, it displays a "SOLD" message.

I hope this info is of some help!

If a bid cost up to $.70 cents and the item sells for $12.00 it cost $840.00 1200x70

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users