Brass Bids

Started by suzyq , Nov 11 2009 05:15 AM

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

While looking thru the “Red Flag” section this past weekend, I came across the Brass Bids thread and was curious if they were still in business after all of the bad press they received on PAW. They are and I was very surprised to see that people were winning things at very low prices, including some members from PAW. I registered and received 10 free bids (that has since been changed to 3). On my first attempt I won a $50 Target Gift Card with 6 of my free bids. Before I purchased a bid pack, I wrote to Samantha and asked if she was using any bots, shills, or hidden reserves. It didn’t look like there were but I wanted to see what she said. She replied definitely not. I lost a few bids just getting a feel for the site. But on my first serious attempt I won a $100 Visa Gift Card. Tonight I won a $50 Victoria’s Secret Gift Card. As far as shipping, I have already been notified that my first 2 cards will be sent out tomorrow. Customer service seems to be top notch. I have written Samantha several times with questions and she has always answered within a half hour. Only one account per household is allowed. Starting Sunday they will be instituting a 2 wins within 7 days limit. The only problem I have found with Brass Bids is that when you purchase a bid pack, it is not instantly put in your account. It has to be done manually so it would be wise to not wait until the last minute. They are working to change this.

I would suggest you at least sign up for your free bids and take a look around. If you are willing to forgive and forget, Brass Bids is definitely a keeper.

angelducky
  • angelducky
  • Members
  • 2,149 posts

I decided to give them a shot too, mainly because I never ever get in on early sites and win something good. Well today I won a Nintendo DS, iPod Touch (a reward for all the work my fiance has put into med school lol), and $25 gift card for Starbucks. Grand total, I took a risk I don't normally take and invested about $100 of my own money. I still have bids left over and I won items that on other sites have cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars to win, if I even won at all.

When I have questions, Samantha responds very very quickly. After having a delay wtih some bids I bought registering in my account, she even gave me a few extra bids for the inconvenience. I asked for my DS to be blue instead of the listed red and they're even going to try to accommodate that odd request :) I know they had a rocky start, but I truly think BrassBids is trying very hard to be a legi site. If they were using shills or reserves, could I have won a DS with about 30ish bids or an iPod touch wtih 50ish bids?

As soon as my items arrive, I plan on taking pictures for any testimonial page they may have and I'll also be posting them in the forums. For a little while, the auctions will be smaller items because they've taken a huge hit (just look through the history...there was even an elusive PS3 lol). The bid packs can be purchased in very small increments and I really hope people will give them a second chance.

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

...there was even an elusive PS3 lol

angelducky, thanks for rubbing that in!! :P

Classified
  • Classified
  • Members
  • 580 posts

Ahh! You guys are stealing all the good auctions! lol!

I'll try and steal something with my 3 bids..mabey I can do it? Who knows?

angelducky
  • angelducky
  • Members
  • 2,149 posts

Ahh! You guys are stealing all the good auctions! lol!

I'll try and steal something with my 3 bids..mabey I can do it? Who knows?

I got a Starbucks card with 1 bid :) It can happen!

They'll still do big items but she can't afford to list them every day like before :( She lost too much money. I think it'll be kind of like a featured weekly deal until things pick up.

angelducky, thanks for rubbing that in!! :P

I know!! I was like "damn why didn't I try this site sooner!!!!" Oh well. I showed my fiance his Christmas present (I'm horrible at keeping secrets :smilielol5:) and he's really excited. I jokingly said he'll have to wait until Christmas to get his iPod and he would have none of that :smilielol5: His iPod is a 3rd or 4th generation (don't remember which) that's at least 4 years old probably and doesn't have color or play videos or anything so he's all excited to get a brand new one finally :)

caveninit
  • caveninit
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts

I bought a bid pack there when they first opened...just haven't used them yet. There were 2 auctions I was going to bid on but I was actually waiting to hear if people were getting their wins and how quickly...glad to hear you did so well angelducky and Suzyq.

Miss Marple
  • Miss Marple
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

I would suggest you at least sign up for your free bids and take a look around. If you are willing to forgive and forget, Brass Bids is definitely a keeper.

Thanks for the tip, suzyq, I'll try it, and I need some free bids!!
I gave your name as a reference. Hope you get some free bids for it!

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

Thanks for the tip, suzyq, I'll try it, and I need some free bids!!
I gave your name as a reference. Hope you get some free bids for it!

Thanks Miss Marple! I think you're going to like Brass Bids. Good luck!

Miss Marple
  • Miss Marple
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Thanks Miss Marple! I think you're going to like Brass Bids. Good luck!

Thanks, me too!
But I just realized that I probably have to buy bids before you get anything. That probably won't happen for a while--my allowance is all tied up in every site that's down right now for repairs. Arghh--that's why I need the free bids!
But sooner or later, I'll cave in and buy.

angelducky
  • angelducky
  • Members
  • 2,149 posts

By the way, there's a little glitch on the system where the item that's ending the soonest doesn't show up on the front page. Click "All Items" to view everything. For example, the 5th season of the Office on BluRay is ending soonest but you can only see it when you click "All Items"

bidn1
  • bidn1
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

I did try it sooner - free bids after all, and didn't have any luck.
My timing must be off.
But I caught the itunes card at biddango for one bid last night, so I feel better even after reading your posts.

angelducky
  • angelducky
  • Members
  • 2,149 posts

I did try it sooner - free bids after all, and didn't have any luck.
My timing must be off.
But I caught the itunes card at biddango for one bid last night, so I feel better even after reading your posts.

LOL at least we didn't go through another epic battle ;)

Classified
  • Classified
  • Members
  • 580 posts

Google Checkout only? No Paypal?

Hmm..

I really need to snag something..

David
  • David
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Is this a new site? It sounds like my latest blog entry where the picking are good at the mo?
*Disclosure*
I help to run YooBeeDoo!, an auction site that has two auction models, a penny auction and a Bid-Block auction (which is unique to YooBeeDoo - US Pat Pend). Check us out!

angelducky
  • angelducky
  • Members
  • 2,149 posts

Google Checkout only? No Paypal?

Hmm..

I really need to snag something..

Yeah. I kinda like Google Checkout. The owner needs to manually add your bids so you won't want to wait until the last few minutes. She said she checks about every half hour.

Is this a new site? It sounds like my latest blog entry where the picking are good at the mo?

It's new and they messed up early on by approaching reserves in teh wrong way. THey're trying to redeem themselvs and last night I won some awesome things :) I'll let you know when I receive my items!!

Classified
  • Classified
  • Members
  • 580 posts

I can't wait for the auction to end!

angelducky
  • angelducky
  • Members
  • 2,149 posts

I can't wait for the auction to end!

LOL what auction?

Classified
  • Classified
  • Members
  • 580 posts

Sony Micro Vault Click 2 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive

or

The Office: Season Five (4 Discs) (Blu-ray)

mwasnidge
  • mwasnidge
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Yeah, I gave them a second chance when they came on here, apologized for the reserved prices and bots and refunded the 10 free credits. Seemed to me that they still had them in place though when I went back and used the refunded bids. Looks like they are trying to regain a decent reputation, but too late for me-if you can't be honest from the outset, then see you later. However, I am slightly hypocritical and would have gone back on and snapped up all y'all stuff if i'd have known they had turned llegit :-)

Classified
  • Classified
  • Members
  • 580 posts

Couldn't get the office..I can't seem to get anything.. :redface:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users