auction bargains and fun bargainsandfun.com bid-fee penny auction

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Review and discuss your experiences with Bargainsandfun.com.

Read our introductory interview with Bargainsandfun.com.

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

After looking at your ended auctions, I'm assuming you don't have win limits?

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

After looking at your ended auctions, I'm assuming you don't have win limits?

Currently (while there is little traffic) there are no limits. When traffic picks up or I start hearing that people are leaving because the same people keep winning then I will start putting limits on things.

I see no reason in limiting those who are coming on the site now as they are the only traffic I have and closing the door to them would be like shooting myself in the foot if you know what I mean.

I do however have the plans of putting win limits in place when there is more traffic and more items.

Jeremiah

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

Currently (while there is little traffic) there are no limits. When traffic picks up or I start hearing that people are leaving because the same people keep winning then I will start putting limits on things.

I see no reason in limiting those who are coming on the site now as they are the only traffic I have and closing the door to them would be like shooting myself in the foot if you know what I mean.

I do however have the plans of putting win limits in place when there is more traffic and more items.

Jeremiah

Quite frankly, Jeremiah, I think you may have already shot yourself in the foot. I would imagine that most people look at ended auctions before investing in a site. I know that I do. Today I was planning on purchasing bids to replenish my bid account...until I looked at the ended auctions. After seeing all of the bid packs that have been won, coupled with the people who have won multiple bid packs and are now winning the "real" items with these "free" bids, I will have to wait and see what happens over the next several weeks.

caveninit
  • caveninit
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts

Quite frankly, Jeremiah, I think you may have already shot yourself in the foot. I would imagine that most people look at ended auctions before investing in a site. I know that I do. Today I was planning on purchasing bids to replenish my bid account...until I looked at the ended auctions. After seeing all of the bid packs that have been won, coupled with the people who have won multiple bid packs and are now winning the "real" items with these "free" bids, I will have to wait and see what happens over the next several weeks.

Yep...I did the same thing..saw all the bid packs that have been won and decided not to buy right now. Not enough items to justify so many bid packs.

angelducky
  • angelducky
  • Members
  • 2,149 posts

Yep...I did the same thing..saw all the bid packs that have been won and decided not to buy right now. Not enough items to justify so many bid packs.

Those were my thoughts too. The same bidders are scooping things up and I recognize the names from other sites as people who would be unpleasant to take on. Add that fact to the number of bid packs and I'll sit back and watch for now.

wilbid
  • wilbid
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

put on a new macbook pro 17inch and you'll get some traffic

caveninit
  • caveninit
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts

put on a new macbook pro 17inch and you'll get some traffic

yep...give them something good to use up all those bids they won!

coolguy451
  • coolguy451
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts

I have to agree with the posters above (except for the Senior Archtect's post). I haven't bought a bid pack for the same reasons---too few auctions, too many bid packs, and who is now in control of many free bids.

Some win limits, fewer bid packs (and limiting how many you can win), and maybe some cheaper gift cards (2 $25 cards instead of 1 $50 card) might make this site more enticing.

Good luck and I will keep checking it out.

rockybiduser
  • rockybiduser
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

I think this is one lesson PA owner should take into account.Avoid doing stuff which makes bidder thinking whether to try it out or not.I hate bid pack and I wonder why so many bid pack are there in a newly opened PA site.Don't they have basic fund to start with. Instead of putting 3 50 bid pack if 4 $25 gift cert was put for auction that can generate more buzz. I think digbids and live2bid start with a cool plan.

Good luck on your site and like other bidder I will wait too.

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

From the Hot Updates thread --

http://www.pennyauct...689&postcount=2

Miss Marple
  • Miss Marple
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Ditto what they all said...

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

Those were my thoughts too. The same bidders are scooping things up and I recognize the names from other sites as people who would be unpleasant to take on. Add that fact to the number of bid packs and I'll sit back and watch for now.

I have to agree with the posters above (except for the Senior Archtect's post). I haven't bought a bid pack for the same reasons---too few auctions, too many bid packs, and who is now in control of many free bids.

Some win limits, fewer bid packs (and limiting how many you can win), and maybe some cheaper gift cards (2 $25 cards instead of 1 $50 card) might make this site more enticing.

Good luck and I will keep checking it out.

I think this is one lesson PA owner should take into account.Avoid doing stuff which makes bidder thinking whether to try it out or not.I hate bid pack and I wonder why so many bid pack are there in a newly opened PA site.Don't they have basic fund to start with. Instead of putting 3 50 bid pack if 4 $25 gift cert was put for auction that can generate more buzz. I think digbids and live2bid start with a cool plan.

Good luck on your site and like other bidder I will wait too.

Thank you all for the comments and I have been considering win limits since the sites original planning phases. They will over time be installed, but at this time I can not justify putting a win limit on people who are supporting my site. Everyone From PAW was given a chance to help with the beta testing of the site - those that did were rewarded with extra free bids when the site officially listed it's first "real" Auction.

To top it off I held the advertising and publicizing of the site for an additional 3 or 4 days to give PAW members the chance to get in and get all kinds of stuff right off the bat before anyone even knew the site existed. Look how many auctions were held in the first 3 or 4 days the site was open - this was a gift to PAW members all of whom knew the site was launching on the 1st. After I started publicizing the site and advertising the site I cut the auctions down.

As of now I have very few "active" users and like I said I can't justify cutting them off in the hopes that others will come to the site. I have a number of users in my head, when I reach that number I will put limits on (that number is actually not far away at the rate new users are signing up).

I have done everything possible to give everyone on PAW the same fair chance at getting ahead on my site. The day will come for limits but I'm not going to sell out the few who support my site now.

As for cutting the gift cards down to smaller ones - the site started with smaller ones and there was actually LESS interest in those but if there is more interest in the smaller cards then I will be happy to put them back.

From the Hot Updates thread --

http://www.pennyauct...689&postcount=2

I'm at a loss as to why your quoting this one here?

coolguy451
  • coolguy451
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts

I was suggesting smaller cards + some win limits might make it so you can hold more auctions, thus opening up more opportunities for new bidders on your site. No idea if it would work, it just seems to make sense to me as someone just visiting your website and wondering if it is worth investing despite the number of free bids won and the frequency of auctions.

Either way good luck to you :-)

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

I was suggesting smaller cards + some win limits might make it so you can hold more auctions, thus opening up more opportunities for new bidders on your site. No idea if it would work, it just seems to make sense to me as someone just visiting your website and wondering if it is worth investing despite the number of free bids won and the frequency of auctions.

Either way good luck to you :-)

One thing I will be putting into place this week is that I will be having beginner auctions. This will be for people who have not won anything on the site as yet. The items will be the same as the items i currently list BUT if you have already won you will not be eligable to bid on them or win them.

What I have noticed about smaller items is that they generate less interest because a $25 gift card with $5 shipping is not worth it compared to a $50 gift card - BUT - I will consider this - what do other members think of this idea?

Jeremiah

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

Thank you all for the comments and I have been considering win limits since the sites original planning phases. They will over time be installed, but at this time I can not justify putting a win limit on people who are supporting my site. Everyone From PAW was given a chance to help with the beta testing of the site - those that did were rewarded with extra free bids when the site officially listed it's first "real" Auction.

To top it off I held the advertising and publicizing of the site for an additional 3 or 4 days to give PAW members the chance to get in and get all kinds of stuff right off the bat before anyone even knew the site existed. Look how many auctions were held in the first 3 or 4 days the site was open - this was a gift to PAW members all of whom knew the site was launching on the 1st. After I started publicizing the site and advertising the site I cut the auctions down.

As of now I have very few "active" users and like I said I can't justify cutting them off in the hopes that others will come to the site. I have a number of users in my head, when I reach that number I will put limits on (that number is actually not far away at the rate new users are signing up).

I have done everything possible to give everyone on PAW the same fair chance at getting ahead on my site. The day will come for limits but I'm not going to sell out the few who support my site now.

Jeremiah, I do admire your loyalty to your current customers. I was only trying to point out that when 1 or 2 players totally dominate a new site, it discourages new players to even try. And, yes, they might be "supporting" your site now...but if you don't attract new customers, it won't be long before you are supporting them.

And, yes, you did communicate well on PAW and offered many, many auctions in the beginning. But, if I am incorrect and I will certainly apologize if I am wrong, I seem to remember that most of those auctions were for baseball trading cards. I am not a baseball card collector, so preferred not to waste my bids on those auctions.

As far as having "very few 'active' users"....again, I can't help but feel that the lack of win limits has very much to do with that. All one has to do is look at the ended auctions, figure out who has most of the "free" bids, know their overall bidding history, and determine what they think their own chance of winning is. People are not going to invest in a site where they feel they have a minimal chance of winning.

wilbid
  • wilbid
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

seems like someone needs to spend some extra starting capital for advertisement as well. i doubt any site can depend mainly on PAW members to be the main customer base.

time to rethink the business plan.

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

One thing I will be putting into place this week is that I will be having beginner auctions. This will be for people who have not won anything on the site as yet. The items will be the same as the items i currently list BUT if you have already won you will not be eligable to bid on them or win them.

I think that would be a wonderful idea.

What I have noticed about smaller items is that they generate less interest because a $25 gift card with $5 shipping is not worth it compared to a $50 gift card - BUT - I will consider this - what do other members think of this idea?

Why do you have to charge any shipping on gift cards? I think people are more likely to spend more on bids for an item with free shipping. If a $25 gift card with free shipping is going to cost you a total of $30, it would only take 43 bids (using 70 cents as the bid cost) to get to break even. I have seen numerous $25 gift cards go over $1. Of course, we're back to the same problem of too many "free" bids floating around so you would probably have to go higher than the 43 bids.

ggrahamlc
  • ggrahamlc
  • Members
  • 545 posts

think ill pass with all those high bid packs that have been won. If you wanted to offer bid packs you should have created smaller bid packs to auction off. Make up smaller bid packs to auction off like 10,15,20. offer only those for auction and not to sell. Plus no win limits. No thanks, Not going to throw my money away against those that have won the bid packs. Good Luck though.

bigman701
  • bigman701
  • Members
  • 504 posts

Actually looking at this site and the past winners, unless someone is using someone's name on this site. the major winner is the wife of one of our respected members here on PAW. Very tough even with no bid pack wins.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: auction, bargains and fun, bargainsandfun.com, bid-fee, penny auction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users