Started by PennyAuctionWatch , Jan 05 2010 08:37 PM
auction bargains and fun bargainsandfun.com bid-fee penny auction

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

Why do you have to charge any shipping on gift cards? I think people are more likely to spend more on bids for an item with free shipping.

There is a shipping charge on the gift cards mostly because I have tried to emulate in some aspects what people are used to. Sites like bidcactus.com which charges almost $6 to ship a gift card and rockybid which charges $4 to ship a gift card.

In this consideration - Beginners auctions will NOT have a shipping charge for gift cards (even if listed in the description).

Some win limits, fewer bid packs (and limiting how many you can win), and maybe some cheaper gift cards (2 $25 cards instead of 1 $50 card) might make this site more enticing.

Heres the changes (I also put them in the updates thread)
Instead of 1 $50 card there will be two $25 cards - one as a beginners auction and one as a regular auction

Instead of (1) 50 or 25 bid bidpack i'll have (2) - (1) of them will be a smaller amount like 10, 15, 20 which will be a regular auction and (1) will be the same amount 25,50,75 as now BUT will be a beginners auction.

And, yes, you did communicate well on PAW and offered many, many auctions in the beginning. But, if I am incorrect and I will certainly apologize if I am wrong, I seem to remember that most of those auctions were for baseball trading cards. I am not a baseball card collector, so preferred not to waste my bids on those auctions.

The first day of the site had -
3 Gift Cards, 10 bidpacks and some other memorabilia type stuff
The Second day had -
3 gift cards, 4 bidpacks, and again some other stuff
The third day had -
3 gift cards, 3 bidpacks, and again some other stuff

I gave everyone the same opportunities to get in on ALL of the thank you items that were being offered exclusively to PAW members at that time. The people that got ahead and won allot of auctions were the ones who took a firm foothold in the beginning within the first few days.

As far as having "very few 'active' users"....again, I can't help but feel that the lack of win limits has very much to do with that. All one has to do is look at the ended auctions, figure out who has most of the "free" bids, know their overall bidding history, and determine what they think their own chance of winning is. People are not going to invest in a site where they feel they have a minimal chance of winning.

Without being able to see what I see from my side of the keyboard you will not understand why looking at the past auctions and who has won what without being able to see how many bids were spent by that same user is a very BAD thing and very deceiving and miss leading. If you had all of this information the results would surprise you.

Just a quick though - maybe this thread should be in the discussion topic and not the reviews as we have turned it into a discussion rather than a review from users of the site?

Edited by Bargainsandfun, 11 January 2010 - 04:32 PM.
added quick thought!

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

Ok before the rumors start - the site broke due to heavy load. I was on a shared hosting account and the load on the server got the account locked. I have saved all the database information and should be back up within the next 24 hours.

I will update this forum at that time!

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jeremiah

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

I'm sorry to all those who I let down when the site crashed. I know that this put a wrinkle in allot of peoples hats. Anyway - the new host is holding the site and it's running and ready to go.

The DNS just has to propagate and then I'll restart the auctions - this usually takes about 24 hours but I want to make sure everyone knows it's up so I'll send an e-mail to everyone as soon as I think it's done.

Jeremiah

coolguy451
  • coolguy451
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts

Congrats ducky on your back to back wins (on different sites)---I was trying to bid on this site but I was having some wireless issues.

angelducky
  • angelducky
  • Members
  • 2,149 posts

Congrats ducky on your back to back wins (on different sites)---I was trying to bid on this site but I was having some wireless issues.

Thanks coolguy!! That has happened to me like 3 different times on this site lol. And then earlier tonight I set my auto bidder wrong! Sooooo glad to finally win something on there :smilielol5: Good luck on your next auction coolguy!!! Hopefully your wireless issues will get worked out. Nothing more frustrating than wireless dying right in the middle of bidding.

I've had a vicious migraine so winning the 2 cards was a wonderful way to take my mind off of it

coolguy451
  • coolguy451
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts

Hope you feel better. I did try setting the auto on this site a couple of times and each time it said my beginning price needs to be higher than the current price (which it appeared to be). anyone else experience this? It could have been when the internet went in and out but it did happen a couple times so i thought I would check.

Hopefully I get a chance to test it tomorrow.

angelducky
  • angelducky
  • Members
  • 2,149 posts

Thanks coolguy! My migraine is gone now :) Good luck to you when you bid again.

I'd just like to say that Jeremiah is wonderful! When I purchased bids I used a different PayPal address than the one I registered with and he emailed me to tell me that was the reason why my bids didn't automatically get added to my account. Most auction owners wait for you to email them but he took it upoon himself to explain without me even having to ask! He's also been prompt to respond to my emails and was very helpful when I had a question about the auto bidder.

Just a warning about the auto bidder. I was bidding and had the high bid at .02 and since I wasn't sure I'd get online in time for the auction I set the auto bidder for .03. Unfortunately it didn't fire after someone placed the winning bid of .03. Jeremiah gave this explanation:

You had the low price as .03 and the high price as 1.00 since the
bidding was not above your low (.03) it did not act on the bidbuddy.
It's just the way the script is written and I will change the way it's
written on that page.

So it seems to work just a little bit differently than I'm used to. I guess I would have had to place an additional bid or someone else would have had to place an additional bid for my auto bidder to fire. Hope that made sense to people!

All in all Jeremiah is off to a great start and I hope that people use his site more so he sticks around for a good, long time! It's not often we have a site with such a helpful owner!!

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

Hope you feel better. I did try setting the auto on this site a couple of times and each time it said my beginning price needs to be higher than the current price (which it appeared to be). anyone else experience this? It could have been when the internet went in and out but it did happen a couple times so i thought I would check.

Hopefully I get a chance to test it tomorrow.

More than likely it was because your internet connection was going in and out - usually I just get comments that it's not working not that people can't book them. I checked again and I had no problems booking an auction. If the current price is .05 then you would need to book a minimum of .06 and a max anywhere above that. You also need to make sure to give it more than 1 bid

- NOTE - another thing to remember is that you MUST place at least 1 manual bid on the auction either before or after you place your bid buddy or he will NOT bid at all.

Thanks coolguy! My migraine is gone now :) Good luck to you when you bid again.

I'd just like to say that Jeremiah is wonderful! When I purchased bids I used a different PayPal address than the one I registered with and he emailed me to tell me that was the reason why my bids didn't automatically get added to my account. Most auction owners wait for you to email them but he took it upoon himself to explain without me even having to ask! He's also been prompt to respond to my emails and was very helpful when I had a question about the auto bidder.

Just a warning about the auto bidder. I was bidding and had the high bid at .02 and since I wasn't sure I'd get online in time for the auction I set the auto bidder for .03. Unfortunately it didn't fire after someone placed the winning bid of .03. Jeremiah gave this explanation:

You had the low price as .03 and the high price as 1.00 since the
bidding was not above your low (.03) it did not act on the bidbuddy.
It's just the way the script is written and I will change the way it's
written on that page.

So it seems to work just a little bit differently than I'm used to. I guess I would have had to place an additional bid or someone else would have had to place an additional bid for my auto bidder to fire. Hope that made sense to people!

All in all Jeremiah is off to a great start and I hope that people use his site more so he sticks around for a good, long time! It's not often we have a site with such a helpful owner!!

Thank you for the wonderful comments - I'm glad you find my customer service acceptable. I do watch the site very closely (to the dismay of my significant other at times) mostly to take care of problems BEFORE I read about them on here. I strive to have 100% problem free auctions.

bigman701
  • bigman701
  • Members
  • 504 posts

One of the best customer service sites around. I would recommend this site to anyone. Very quick response and in my opinion really looks out for their customers. Once again thank you, and bidders you can trust this site.

PennyPincher
  • PennyPincher
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Alright! something was wrong with that auction! Awesome only placed 1 bid!
BIGGGLE! Fun to say and fun to play! :smash:

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

There was nothing wrong with the auction - Two people were battling it out. When one of them stopped battling, awesome jumped in. Since he is a power bidder on other sites the other bidder backed out leaving him to get the card.

There were no technical difficulties reported, the bid buddy was working fine, just everyone stopped bidding. Awesome placed the last bid before the timer ran out. Same thing would have happened if you placed the last bid and had only placed one bid.

Jeremiah

PennyPincher
  • PennyPincher
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Ok, thanks!

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

Ok, thanks!

Well let me ask you this - Why did you stop bidding on the auction?

You could have continued to bid and won the auction but you stopped!

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this as I don't want anyone thinking there is something wrong with the site. So please if you had a problem that was site related please tell me - If not then I would appreciate you not implying that there is a problem with the site just because someone can win something with one bid. Several of the auctions on my site are won with only 1 or 2 bids. Check the history for ended items. Some items go much higher than others and many end for very low prices.

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

Well let me ask you this - Why did you stop bidding on the auction?

You could have continued to bid and won the auction but you stopped!

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this as I don't want anyone thinking there is something wrong with the site. So please if you had a problem that was site related please tell me - If not then I would appreciate you not implying that there is a problem with the site just because someone can win something with one bid. Several of the auctions on my site are won with only 1 or 2 bids. Check the history for ended items. Some items go much higher than others and many end for very low prices.

Jeremiah....I don't think PennyPincher was trying to imply anything negative. I think it was simply one of those "wow, somebody won with only one bid" type of statements. No need to be so defensive....we're all friends here. You should know by now that if we have something negative to say...well, you know how we are! ;)

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

Jeremiah....I don't think PennyPincher was trying to imply anything negative. I think it was simply one of those "wow, somebody won with only one bid" type of statements. No need to be so defensive....we're all friends here. You should know by now that if we have something negative to say...well, you know how we are! ;)

I understand that things surprise people from time to time and maybe I overreacted (in which case I offer my apology) but the way the initial post came off is that there was something wrong. And In this day and age I Don't want to take any chances - If there is something wrong I need to know so that it can be fixed!

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

I understand that things surprise people from time to time and maybe I overreacted (in which case I offer my apology) but the way the initial post came off is that there was something wrong. And In this day and age I Don't want to take any chances - If there is something wrong I need to know so that it can be fixed!

Stop stressing, Jeremiah...it's looking great. But you are correct, it is so easy to read something else into anything in print. Rest assured, if something does go wrong you will undoubtedly be the first to know. We scream really LOUD!!! :smilielol5: Nice to see some of the policy changes you're making.

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

Stop stressing, Jeremiah...it's looking great. But you are correct, it is so easy to read something else into anything in print. Rest assured, if something does go wrong you will undoubtedly be the first to know. We scream really LOUD!!! :smilielol5: Nice to see some of the policy changes you're making.

Just wait till you see what's coming up next - Shhhhhhh - Be Berry Berry Quiet I'm hunting Wabbits! (hint)

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

Just wait till you see what's coming up next - Shhhhhhh - Be Berry Berry Quiet I'm hunting Wabbits! (hint)

Hmmmm.....either it's a shotgun or you're going to pay my Geico insurance premium!

PennyPincher
  • PennyPincher
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

It was just meant to be a "wow" statement. Sorry bout that I was not trying to diminish your site in any way. If it was a technical problem I would have used the contact page. Oh and I stopped bidding because I ran out of bids :)

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

Oh and I stopped bidding because I ran out of bids :)

Don't you just hate when that happens? :svengo:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: auction, bargains and fun, bargainsandfun.com, bid-fee, penny auction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users