Started by PennyAuctionWatch , Jan 05 2010 08:37 PM
auction bargains and fun bargainsandfun.com bid-fee penny auction

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

It was just meant to be a "wow" statement. Sorry bout that I was not trying to diminish your site in any way. If it was a technical problem I would have used the contact page. Oh and I stopped bidding because I ran out of bids :)

Ok - I miss understood what you were saying in the initial post - My apologies since I was clearly wrong and over reacted.

ggrahamlc
  • ggrahamlc
  • Members
  • 545 posts

couldnt contact you through contact page, the $25 card kept freezing and timer waas very sporadic, took 4 secs after pressing bid button for the bid to actually show. Also after each auction ended the timer would freeze for all auctions

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

couldnt contact you through contact page, the $25 card kept freezing and timer waas very sporadic, took 4 secs after pressing bid button for the bid to actually show. Also after each auction ended the timer would freeze for all auctions

I thought we did speak in the email back and fourth fassion!

Anyway - As I said I was watching the auctions and did not notice a freeze or jump during them. If others are also seeing this PLEASE let me know and I'll make some config changes to the server.

The timer freeze when another auction ends is the reason I keep them fairly well spread out over time. It is due to the script writing lots of info into the database at one time. The bid button and all other things will still function during this freeze the auction will just gain a second. This was heavily tested when the script was in BETA.

Jeremiah

ggrahamlc
  • ggrahamlc
  • Members
  • 545 posts

I thought we did speak in the email back and fourth fassion!

Anyway - As I said I was watching the auctions and did not notice a freeze or jump during them. If others are also seeing this PLEASE let me know and I'll make some config changes to the server.

The timer freeze when another auction ends is the reason I keep them fairly well spread out over time. It is due to the script writing lots of info into the database at one time. The bid button and all other things will still function during this freeze the auction will just gain a second. This was heavily tested when the script was in BETA.

Jeremiah

Sorry that message was posted before i was able to finally get through to you on the contact page

greendoor
  • greendoor
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Well Jeremiah, you clearly still have issues with your site. Instead of listening to the real issues that your customers try to related to you, you get defensive and give them some hogwash you call an explanation. I don't buy it! Your customer service is severely lacking and you need an attitude adjustment. There WAS a glitch and it was NOT my browser.....i am not "stupid"! (as you modestly implied!)
jollygreen

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

Well Jeremiah, you clearly still have issues with your site. Instead of listening to the real issues that your customers try to related to you, you get defensive and give them some hogwash you call an explanation. I don't buy it! Your customer service is severely lacking and you need an attitude adjustment. There WAS a glitch and it was NOT my browser.....i am not "stupid"! (as you modestly implied!)
jollygreen

I have just sent you another e-mail. I will not continue this discussion here in the public forum without your consent to release the information I have that will clear my site. Your consent will come in the form of replying on this thread again (as mentioned in the e-mail) negatively.

NOTE* I will not provide personally Identifying information however I WILL Defend myself and my site from your accusations.

And for the record I never implied that you were stupid.

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

I have just sent you another e-mail. I will not continue this discussion here in the public forum without your consent to release the information I have that will clear my site. Your consent will come in the form of replying on this thread again (as mentioned in the e-mail) negatively.

NOTE* I will not provide personally Identifying information however I WILL Defend myself and my site from your accusations.

And for the record I never implied that you were stupid.

Ouch! This almost sounds like a threat....be quiet, or else. Jeremiah, there is a difference between defending your site in a friendly manner and threatening a paying customer, a respected member of this forum. Without knowing the specifics of what is being discussed, I am merely commenting on the tone of your response. I am certain that this outburst did absolutely nothing to attract new customers to your site.

greendoor
  • greendoor
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Ouch! This almost sounds like a threat....be quiet, or else. Jeremiah, there is a difference between defending your site in a friendly manner and threatening a paying customer, a respected member of this forum. Without knowing the specifics of what is being discussed, I am merely commenting on the tone of your response. I am certain that this outburst did absolutely nothing to attract new customers to your site.

Yes...that is the exact attitude and tone i received in the emails that he sent me. Now he is calling me a cheater....trying to extort free bids from him. I just felt I was cheated when the auction would not take my bid after I had invested so many. The lost of the bids is inconsequential to the issue now. It is his responses and his attitude to the situation that infuriates me. In the heat of the moment i am sure i came across a little strong, but he didnt see it from my perspective...only his....He was right and I was wrong..."plain and simple"! He can prove things all he wants...i could care less about the bids. I am more concerned with his threatening attitude and apparent lack of customer service.

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

Suzyq,
You know from your dealings with me through e-mail that I do not "jump" on people when they send me e-mails on the site. I give the facts of the situation and a response to the matter at hand.

There was no threat implied. What I am saying is that if someone comes on here and wants to make accusations I will use the information that is at my disposal to correct them and defend my site. I will NOT share personal information but I will show information about the incident. That is all that was meant by this. Since no-one is going to "give permission" when they know what the facts are. I tried to handle this matter in private e-mails however as you know everyone is quick to jump for the trigger and post a bad review when they don't get what they want.

Yes...that is the exact attitude and tone i received in the emails that he sent me. Now he is calling me a cheater....trying to extort free bids from him. I just felt I was cheated when the auction would not take my bid after I had invested so many. The lost of the bids is inconsequential to the issue now. It is his responses and his attitude to the situation that infuriates me. In the heat of the moment i am sure i came across a little strong, but he didnt see it from my perspective...only his....He was right and I was wrong..."plain and simple"! He can prove things all he wants...i could care less about the bids. I am more concerned with his threatening attitude and apparent lack of customer service.

Greendoor,
Since we seem to feel that this is my FAULT and my customer service is poor lets put the e-mails into perspective here

Your e-mail to me @ 10:20

I was still trying to bid on this auction and started clicking at 6 sec and it would not take my bid.I click 5 times before it said ended and it would not take my bid!!!!!!!!!! I feel there was a glitch here and I would like my bids back.

My E-mail back to you 10:37

I'm sorry to hear that you believe there is an issue with the site. I have been keeping a very close eye on things tonight after the issues that were encountered last night. As such I was paying extra close attention to the auction for the $50 gift card and the server performance during that auction.

There were no technical issues or errors encountered during this auction. I
have also checked the connection log for the server and there were NO hickups in the server connection to the network or the internet. I have also not recieved any other reports of an outage from any other user that was involved in that auction.

I feel that the issue you may have encountered is actually an issue with the
browser on your computer. Some browsers including Internet Exploerer and Google Chrome have a connection limit of 10 minutes. After which time they will "drop" the connection to a website and in some cases you will be logged out. To restore this connection you must refresh your browser and make sure that you are still logged in. We recommend a refresh every 5-7 minutes if you have been watching an auction.

Thank you and have a wonderfun Evening!

Jeremiah

Where in my e-mail is it that I imply that you are "stupid" as you say I did. I told you what the possible issue was as I have encountered this issue on other sites as well as my own. The timer will usually STOP counting and then

Where in this e-mail do I get defensive. In every e-mail (ask anyone who had a bidbutler issue when we started) I do get technical and show them as much data as I can so they can see exactly what I see.

The second set of e-mails are a little more rash on both counts and if you would like to continue this I will post them as well. But I would like to know in everyone's honest opinion did I do something that would be considered implying that someone was "stupid" or being "defensive".

Edited by Bargainsandfun, 05 February 2010 - 04:27 PM.

coolguy451
  • coolguy451
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts

I guess a question came up from this post Jeremiah:

"I feel that the issue you may have encountered is actually an issue with the
browser on your computer. Some browsers including Internet Exploerer and Google Chrome have a connection limit of 10 minutes. After which time they will "drop" the connection to a website and in some cases you will be logged out. To restore this connection you must refresh your browser and make sure that you are still logged in. We recommend a refresh every 5-7 minutes if you have been watching an auction."

Besides the fact that she wasn't watching and instead was actively bidding on the auction, I am not sure I see how this explanation would explain why she had a problem bidding. More importantly, do you have this posted on your site? Do you have it posted that people should be using Firefox to avoid this issue? I know for myself I don't assume going to a site I need to refresh it manually every 5-7 minutes and I would guess most people don't do this either.

I don't know greendoor but I have experienced this same problem on a couple other sites this past week but with a different outcome. In each case, I was refunded the bids used and told they would try to figure out why I couldn't place a bid. Now, I wouldn't expect every site to refund bids every time a problem comes up but I guess with your site being so new, I am surprised you chose the path that you did.

Edited by coolguy451, 05 February 2010 - 07:57 PM.
learned that he is actually a she :-)

greendoor
  • greendoor
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

I guess a question came up from this post Jeremiah:

"I feel that the issue you may have encountered is actually an issue with the
browser on your computer. Some browsers including Internet Exploerer and Google Chrome have a connection limit of 10 minutes. After which time they will "drop" the connection to a website and in some cases you will be logged out. To restore this connection you must refresh your browser and make sure that you are still logged in. We recommend a refresh every 5-7 minutes if you have been watching an auction."

Besides the fact that he wasn't watching and instead was actively bidding on the auction, I am not sure I see how this explanation would explain why he had a problem bidding. More importantly, do you have this posted on your site? Do you have it posted that people should be using Firefox to avoid this issue? I know for myself I don't assume going to a site I need to refresh it manually every 5-7 minutes and I would guess most people don't do this either.

I don't know greendoor but I have experienced this same problem on a couple other sites this past week but with a different outcome. In each case, I was refunded the bids used and told they would try to figure out why I couldn't place a bid. Now, I wouldn't expect every site to refund bids every time a problem comes up but I guess with your site being so new, I am surprised you chose the path that you did.

I concur coolguy...I WAS using firefox, always do and NEVER had an issue with "timeouts"...aka as jollygreen (she)

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

Besides the fact that he wasn't watching and instead was actively bidding on the auction, I am not sure I see how this explanation would explain why he had a problem bidding. More importantly, do you have this posted on your site? Do you have it posted that people should be using Firefox to avoid this issue? I know for myself I don't assume going to a site I need to refresh it manually every 5-7 minutes and I would guess most people don't do this either.

The problem with the bidding was due to the fact that the user had logged out of the site. This was explained to the her in a second e-mail to the user after the comment that was made here and the second e-mail from them to me. The link below shows more information about this (scroll to the bottom) and it is also posted in the Bidding help section of my site.

I did incorrectly list the browsers earlier in THIS thread - Google is not affected by the connection drop/logout issue (as far as I can tell) you can still bid BUT from time to time the clock will stop and you will need to refresh the screen. Internet Explorer and Firefox have the drop/logout issue.

Here is a link to where this problem is listed on this site -
http://www.pennyauct...hread.php?t=859

I made the decision based on all the facts I had to review for this matter. It was not about bids or money or even the customers attitude in her e-mail to me. It was about the facts behind the case, I review each situation separately and use all of the information I have at hand to make my decision. Should this matter have been solved differently because I am a new site and not one that has been around for a year? The same facts would have still been there.

Here are the facts -
1. User logout time prior to end of auction
2. User had bids in account
3. No other site errors were reported

This last part becomes a very slippery slope because If I were to just give everyone their bids back now even when a complaint is unjustified and six months from now I actually do the research and make a decision not to then I'll get the response of "well you did it six months ago why not now?". I believe that consistency in your policies is one of the things that users look for. It has been a problem with many other PA sites where they don't follow their own policies they write them as they go. I would like to have a stable, reliable site where the policy doesn't change every time you turn around just because the site is "more established".

Edited by Bargainsandfun, 05 February 2010 - 08:41 PM.

coolguy451
  • coolguy451
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts

I did incorrectly list the browsers earlier in THIS thread - Google is not affected by the connection drop/logout issue (as far as I can tell) you can still bid BUT from time to time the clock will stop and you will need to refresh the screen. Internet Explorer and Firefox have the drop/logout issue.

Here is a link to where this problem is listed on this site -
http://www.pennyauct...hread.php?t=859

I don't think this is good enough because I don't think it is fair to assume everyone reads these threads. I had previously bid on your site and when I went through it I don't remember seeing any mention of what browsers I need and issues with being logged out if I don't hit refresh. If this isn't on your site, I would suggest adding it so you can avoid this issue in the future. What you do with this case is up to you, it just doesn't seem to be a good sign when a customer on a new site is having issues with getting a problem resolved to the satisfaction of the customer and site.

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

I don't think this is good enough because I don't think it is fair to assume everyone reads these threads. I had previously bid on your site and when I went through it I don't remember seeing any mention of what browsers I need and issues with being logged out if I don't hit refresh. If this isn't on your site, I would suggest adding it so you can avoid this issue in the future. What you do with this case is up to you, it just doesn't seem to be a good sign when a customer on a new site is having issues with getting a problem resolved to the satisfaction of the customer and site.

That is why it is in the HELP -> Bidding section of my website - I don't list specific browsers there it is a general "If you have been watching an auction for a while your browser may have lost the connection to the site. We recommend if you intend to bid near the end that you refresh your browser and confirm that you are still logged into the site." Listing browsers specifically could get me into trouble if someone has a browser that I haven't tested. Maybe it should be made bigger but it is there at the bottom in the ****NOTES**** section.

The only way the customer would feel satisfaction is for her to get her bids back and in MOST cases it would have been done after simple communication without foul language or threats. However this user decided to take it another way.

Let me share just a little more on this now -

Her e-mail to me at 11:59 PM

That is total WORDREMOVED and I am letting all PAW users know of your bad customer support and the glitches on your site. Others have stated the same problems and you give me a crock of WORDREMOVED!!!!!

I decided after this e-mail to think on the matter and leave it be till morning - Maybe with time emotions would not be as HIGH and there could be a sensible conversation.

My e-mail to her at 8:45 AM

Susan

Here are the direct entries from the database on my site. I will be glad to
let PAW owner Amanda into the database directly to verify this information

Last Bid Placed By User 2010-02-04 22:16:15
Last Bid On Auction 2010-02-04 22:16:30
Auction End Time 2010-02-04 22:16:41
Users Log In Time 2010-02-04 20:45:16
Users Log Out Time 2010-02-04 22:16:31

SECTION REMOVED WITH PRIVATE INFORMATION

Plain and simple, You either stopped bidding or had a browser/internet
connection on your end. Since you logged out before the auction was even
over. I feel you just stopped bidding and decided you wanted your bids
back.

Jeremiah J. Hobson

The section that was removed has private information regarding her account that others should not know.

coolguy451
  • coolguy451
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts

Thank you for pointing out where this is stated on your site, I did seem to miss it when I read through the different sections.

dragon ball
  • dragon ball
  • Members
  • 2,174 posts

Regular bidders has too many bids and seems like they always win as I had played and observe. Even with the win limits as for me it was hard to win. Just my thoughts. But my wife did received the gift card by certified mail which is a safe way to send so she said thank you.

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

Regular bidders has too many bids and seems like they always win as I had played and observe. Even with the win limits as for me it was hard to win. Just my thoughts. But my wife did received the gift card by certified mail which is a safe way to send so she said thank you.

She is very welcome - hope she uses it for something fun!

When we opened I wanted to give everyone on PAW a thank you and I offered many bidpacks to allow PAW users to get a little ahead of the curve. I have since lowered the amount of bidpacks listed. Since I didn't really think about it when I put the limits in place I just lowered the limits you can win in this category to 1/day 1/week 4/month.

As for the Gift Cards I have been adding to those auctions so figured it was best to raise that limit a little. In all fairness I do want to see new winners so monday I will probably look at the won auctions and decide some new numbers for the gift card limits.

bella
  • bella
  • Members
  • 1,376 posts

i ave 2 laptops set up. one laptop says bella won, the other laptop says lightsout won. what's going on? I certainly wouldnt have stopped bidding, i dont feel lightsout woas ready to stop either.

bella
  • bella
  • Members
  • 1,376 posts

Price:
$5.67
excl. delivery & Taxes
Bidder:
lightsout

Posted Image Ended

bella
  • bella
  • Members
  • 1,376 posts

Price:
$5.67
excl. delivery & Taxes
Bidder:
bella1277

Posted Image Ended

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: auction, bargains and fun, bargainsandfun.com, bid-fee, penny auction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users