Started by vibbu , Jan 19 2010 02:59 PM
winning for profit

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

BTW, It's called Paypal. Paypal offers protection. I'm sure everyone here has that. Usually the way it goes is you pay for the item, and then the other person sends the items. It's even easier for e-cards, then the transaction can happen almost instantly. My amazon.com cards are e-cards.

Also, you won't buy / shouldn't buy from "strangers" . And I know there are people on this forum who won't tarnish there reputations just for a $5.00 off a gift card, or $10.00 off a kindle.

Soooo.. With that said, I have a $55.00 worth of amazon.com e-cards for sale. Payment via paypal or check. E-cards sent instantly once payment has cleared. Reply with interest, and I'll send you my E-mail to make arrangments. :)

PAYPAL will not offer ANY seller protection for a non Ebay transaction, better think again. And even if you do sell an ecard on Ebay Paypal will not protect the seller if you email it, it has to be snail mailed mailed, and over $250 signature is required. Trust me I have won 100's of giftcards they have to be mailed, which you can do with a ecard. Over the last month I have had over $5000 worth of Ebay auctions canceled because of fruadulent buyers and I have talked extensivly with Paypal. I even shipped $2000+ in product to these crooks that Paypal ended up paying for.

Edited by realbidtowin, 07 March 2010 - 07:21 PM.

BeckyP
  • BeckyP
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

no but you can use a credit card via paypal. And a credit card offers protection. Anyways, I'm not talking about selling to complete strangers. I'm talking about selling with in this forum. And i've only been in this forum a week now, and I can already tell who'd i'd buy from and who I won't.

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

no but you can use a credit card via paypal. And a credit card offers protection. Anyways, I'm not talking about selling to complete strangers. I'm talking about selling with in this forum. And i've only been in this forum a week now, and I can already tell who'd i'd buy from and who I won't.

Now this made me bust up and laugh " I'm not talking about selling to complete strangers. I'm talking about selling with in this forum" You cannot be seroius This forum is nothoing but a group of gamblers, they are all strange, opps I mean strangers. yes the buyer has protection only when they uses a Credit card, but the seller has none. Besides you cancel a credit card purchase through Paypal and they pay the recipient they can come after you for thier loss.

The bottm line is this system does not work, it has been discussed several times in the past

zero
  • zero
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Update on the Macbook I sold and turnd out to be a fraudulent buyer. So you know i did ship it it arived today and because I required signature Paypal immediatly while on the phone with me released the funds $1150 to me even though the Macbook was shipped to a scammer. I know many of you hate Paypal but me, I think they are great.

By the way Vibbu, when I want to convert amazon credit to cash I buy Macbook Pro's for $1149 and I sell it on Ebay for $1149 the reason I get retail is i show the buyer how to get the Bing 8% cashback so their final cost is only $1057. I also ship it direct from Amazon to the ebayer so I pay no shipping. You have to be careful though because Amazon will collect tax for 5 states, WA, NY, KS, KY, and ND so I collect tax and pay Amazon if shipped to those states.

I really like paypal if you are cautious they do back up their transactions with no penalty to you. That is part of the reason ebay is so successful.

dragon ball
  • dragon ball
  • Members
  • 2,174 posts

Hi Becky, if you can scroll back to #43 on my thread I did post sites that do sell-trade-buy gift cards. Since that is their profession maybe you can go directly to their site and send them e-mail so it might help you find the answer I don't know but it doesn't hurt to ask. I had sold some gift card myself since some of gift card my family didn't want them or it was not needed after all. I hope this helps.

Can we start a thread here to sell our winnings? For Example I have $55 in amazon.com gift cards I'd like to sell for $50... I'd be great to have a sticky for this type of stuff. It'd be a win- win situation for both the sellers and buyers. woot

superelmo
  • superelmo
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

has anyone ever got "partial credit" taken off of items sent back to amazon? I recently won a camera which I kept and a Wii skateboard tony hawk. I sent the skateboard back but was only given 45.01! I got upset and of course called because we all know the retail value is way higher. I ended up getting 46 promotional dollars on top of the 45. So in total I got 91 dollars. The retail value on amazon is 99 which sounds a bit more correct. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

mp25bs
  • mp25bs
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

i never had that happened to me, and i sent in about 10 items... i never open the items and use the same packaging that it came in. I get credited what the retail value of the item was, minus the cost of shipping back to them (if i elect to use their prepaid service).

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

has anyone ever got "partial credit" taken off of items sent back to amazon? I recently won a camera which I kept and a Wii skateboard tony hawk. I sent the skateboard back but was only given 45.01! I got upset and of course called because we all know the retail value is way higher. I ended up getting 46 promotional dollars on top of the 45. So in total I got 91 dollars. The retail value on amazon is 99 which sounds a bit more correct. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

They must of thought it was an open package thus the restocking fee was assesed

superelmo
  • superelmo
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

On returns, Don't even open the package? just send it right back after you log in and filed your returns section am I correct? new to the sending stuff back but none the less, as soon as it gets to your house, drop it back off? Only reason I asked is because the only way i know how to get the number is through the packing slip. Thanks for the help everyone

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

On returns, Don't even open the package? just send it right back after you log in and filed your returns section am I correct? new to the sending stuff back but none the less, as soon as it gets to your house, drop it back off? Only reason I asked is because the only way i know how to get the number is through the packing slip. Thanks for the help everyone

open the box but not the item

superelmo
  • superelmo
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Thanks BTW. yeah that's exactly what I did and they probably thought I opened it.

NHappraiser
  • NHappraiser
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

So I have won numerous products that I want to sell. I have read here that I can get an Amazon credit in some cases but I want the cash not the credit. I have read that Craigs list is a good place to sell. Here is my question. How do I price the items? I know the MSRP on the PA sites is bogus. I have crossed referenced the new values of the items on Amazon. My thought is to find the lowest price for the item being offered on Amazon and then sell it for less. Is this a good theory or do you think I am under pricing the item. Should I just concentrate on beating my local Wal-Mart or Best Buy. I would think that most buyers would at the very least, do some research on line and know the value of the item. If anyone wants to see the examples I have placed 5 ads on Craigs list in the New Hampshire location. The items are an IPod, a Viewsonic TV, a Sony bloggie, an xbox, and a Samsung monitor. I am not soliciting from this site but am directing people to the items for comparison so I can be told if the prices are fair, high, or low since many users of this forum have sold WAY more than I have ever won. Each item is still in the original shipping box and has not even been open (yet), let alone the original packaging from the manufacturer. Please let me know what your thoughts are.
Thanks

dragon ball
  • dragon ball
  • Members
  • 2,174 posts

I always just drop it back off at the UPS Store location unopened and make sure to get a drop off receipt for proof. Also you have to keep the order id # inside the box when returned for verify. I also get a e-gift card from Amazon in about two weeks after they receive my item back and confirmed. I just keep accumulate my e-card at amazon then use that to buy something that I want on their site. At Amazon usually I list them the lowest price if the item doesn't sell well. Only thing is customer don't pay you right away like e-bay and usually after about a month I get a Bank Wire from amazon once a month or so with a payment.

Edited by dragon ball, 19 March 2010 - 02:17 PM.

mp25bs
  • mp25bs
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I just looked up amazon vs ebay... they are higher than ebays. any particular reason why you prefer to sell thru amazon?

Edited by mp25bs, 19 March 2010 - 07:39 PM.
typo

NHappraiser
  • NHappraiser
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

I just looked up amazon vs ebay... they are higher than ebays. any particular reason why you prefer to sell thru amazon?

Was that a question to everyone or a select person. As for me, I am just checking prices on Amazon and then listing on craigs list. Ebay has a list fee. I am just trying to find what I can sell the items for locally.

gront
  • gront
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

One tip with craigslist, be sure to be absolutely clear in your listing that you won't take paypal and you won't ship. otherwise expect dozens of scam emails, some of which may actually look like buyers but are all not legit.

standard craigslist scam is that they want your papal address to try and hack your account, or they paypal you funds, you ship, and it turns out to be a fraudulent transaction.

One way to receive funds remotely are USPS money orders. While there are scam money orders, you can cash them at the post office and see if they are valid right away (and get cash) and any tomfoolery done by someone with USPS money orders gets investigated by the postal inspectors and is mail fraud fed-level crime stuffs. Postal inspectors love to go after the bad guys, its what they live for, vs. having paypal charge you $25 to "look into things".

dragon ball
  • dragon ball
  • Members
  • 2,174 posts

I haven't got scammed yet on Amazon and on e-bay I sold some new laptop above $600 and got few scams buyer claiming to be from USA but I checked with the send invoice on e-bay to pay on PayPal but the address for the buyer came up from UK and Nigeria as their residence. I do post my sell items on e-bay that I only ship to the 48 US Continent States with no PO Boxes and APO still when my item time ends I get these buyers from overseas trying to get my stuff. I almost sent out the item before getting money in my paypal so I don't deal with the overseas customers until I get more comfortable with e-bay. Amazon so far everything is smooth no problems yet.:wink:

mp25bs
  • mp25bs
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

i had it happen where people from Nigeria bid on my things, 50$ for a item thats selling 35$ but i monitor the bids and was able to cancel that one. I just posted a bigger item for sale today, so i guess ill see how my experience goes.

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

One way to receive funds remotely are USPS money orders. While there are scam money orders, you can cash them at the post office and see if they are valid right away (and get cash) and any tomfoolery done by someone with USPS money orders gets investigated by the postal inspectors and is mail fraud fed-level crime stuffs. Postal inspectors love to go after the bad guys, its what they live for, vs. having paypal charge you $25 to "look into things".

Yes the USPS does take it very seriously when something like this happens

Another thing to beware of is people who will send you a money order through DHL,UPS or FedEx. It is a federal crime to send a fraudulent money order through the mail and the postal service will track them down and find them. The crooks know this so they always send them out via a different carrier.

MOST will be either a self printed check (you can get the stuff at staples) or a "washed" and reprinted Wal-Mart Money order(moneygram). Call the number to verify the money order and they will tell you it was for a different amount and that it was already cashed. The check is usually drawn off a random account and the owner doesn't even know and neither will you until it is returned to your bank.

NEVER take more than you sell the item for and "forward" money back to them - usually a fake check or money order and by the time you find out they may not have the merchandise but they usually have the money you forwarded and are long gone.

Western Union - even if they give you a US address the money can be picked up anywhere in the world as long as the person has ID (even a fake one) and it is usually picked up in Nigeria or South Africa. Again perp is usually long gone before you find out you got scammed

UPS/FEDEX/DHL prepaid shipping labels - this is a good one they have figured out - rather than you paying for shipping they will e-mail you a UPS label. That label is from someone else's account or a complete fake. UPS will then track you down because they want their money and the label says "shipper to pay handling fee" right on it.

Look close and think hard before dealing with someone over the net - do your research - MOST (not all) of the people that can't meet with you in person are trying to pull a scam on you!

NHappraiser
  • NHappraiser
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

That was all great advise.
But......again, how do I determine the price I should be asking for an item. Should I base it off Amazon, ebay, best buy, tigerdirect or what? I want to get rid of the items for a reasonable price and not over price them and be left holding them or under price them and lose money. A few bucks is fine but not 5-10%. So, for you sellers who have listed won items, how did you determine the price you listed them at? What was your source?
Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users