Started by vibbu , Jan 19 2010 02:59 PM
winning for profit

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

Pricing on electronics is a moving target expect to be around 10-20% lower than Amazon. It is crazy though I put on Cl a PS3 I usually get $250-$260 i was recieving offers above retail I sold it for $310, There is a huge shortage. Ipods they suck low resale value, bluray even worse.
  • Donaldnug likes this

dragon ball
  • dragon ball
  • Members
  • 2,174 posts

Another good place I got rid off my unwanted items was at this place:http://www.bonanzle.com/ :)

That was all great advise.
But......again, how do I determine the price I should be asking for an item. Should I base it off Amazon, ebay, best buy, tigerdirect or what? I want to get rid of the items for a reasonable price and not over price them and be left holding them or under price them and lose money. A few bucks is fine but not 5-10%. So, for you sellers who have listed won items, how did you determine the price you listed them at? What was your source?
Thanks

Valhad
  • Valhad
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

So, in a slight twist...

Has anyone ever returned an item to Amazon, then sold the resulting amazon credit certificate on eBay? I don't understand why, but it looks like amazon credit regularly sells for full value, +/- 5% on eBay.

Having never sold on eBay before, I don't know what kind of possible scams this would be open to, but it is an interesting idea, at the very least.

Thoughts, experience?

ProtoProtoss
  • ProtoProtoss
  • Members
  • 743 posts

[quote name='bid-to-2-too-win']It is crazy though I put on Cl a PS3 I usually get $250-$260 i was recieving offers above retail I sold it for $310, There is a huge shortage. [/QUOTE]

I noticed that also. Take this for example: [quoted directly from Amazon]
PlayStation 3 120 GB by Sony (Video Game - Aug. 25, 2009) - PLAYSTATION 3
Buy new: $364.53

35 new from $299.99
31 used from $245.00

I list PS3s there for $25.00 under whatever the buy new price is and they sell within a couple hours everytime. I think people whom see the higher price feel it's a better chance of getting the real thing and not a fake from a separate seller. I usually hold items until I see the prices have gone up then list them, and generally gain and extra 10-25% per item.

Edited by ProtoProtoss, 04 June 2010 - 10:22 PM.

Disclaimer: All of the text stated above is MY own personal opinion... so for those of you who seem to always find something or have something negative to say about anything I seem to type... :lurk5:

You can't control the flock without the fear of the wolf.
---

uanjum
  • uanjum
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Hey BTW,

I was just wondering if you still use this same method. You said they return the shipping and only charge $4-10 on the shipping. I been sending items back but always got charged and when I get charged it is substantial any where from $5-$25 depending on the product.Do you know anyway around this? I found a way by saying the product is damaged. Which a lot of the times they are, well at least the box shows up severely damaged. But the products usually are fine even with the damage. I think I may eventually get in trouble for this. Any Ideas?

Edited by uanjum, 23 March 2011 - 05:50 AM.

nit2winn
  • nit2winn
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

WOW. This whole thread could easily been seen as money laundering and fraud.

kimbers
  • kimbers
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Not to mention most PA site have it against policy to resell winnings.

BigHumpDaddy
  • BigHumpDaddy
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

I had no idea about any of this stuff. I guess I am just totally naive.

I bid on stuff I want/need and can use.

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

Not to mention most PA site have it against policy to resell winnings.

You are clueless, most PA's do not prohibit you from reselling an occasional item you won, they prohibit resellers from participating (A reseller is a company that purchases goods or services with the intention of reselling), In 2010 I did sell less than 10% of what I won, yet you have emailed PA owners claiming I am a reseller. Speaking for myself most of the PA's I bid on offer alternatives like amazon or Paypal credit to replace the actual item, if reselling was such an issue why do so many PA's offer these choices??? Most of what I win comes in the form of Amazon credit. When you consider that most of the PA's are very repetative on their item selection it would be STUPID for them to limit customers from reselling any item otherwise the customer would leave the site to never return once they have won only the items they can personally consume, and that would put most of the PA's out of business as they would have no residual bidders, thus radically increasing their marketing cost to constantly replace those bidders.

The provision you are referring to is to prevent busineses from bidding with the intent to resell all items won for profit.

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

Hey BTW,

I was just wondering if you still use this same method. You said they return the shipping and only charge $4-10 on the shipping. I been sending items back but always got charged and when I get charged it is substantial any where from $5-$25 depending on the product.Do you know anyway around this? I found a way by saying the product is damaged. Which a lot of the times they are, well at least the box shows up severely damaged. But the products usually are fine even with the damage. I think I may eventually get in trouble for this. Any Ideas?

$4-$10 is about average there is the occasional big Item that may cost more, however sending items back claiming damaged is wrong and unfair to Amazon. However I have retuned things like TV's where the packaging was opened or trashed by the shipper as you never know the long term impact of the neglegent handling of electronics, even if I ordered the item from Amazon I use the same standard.

nit2winn
  • nit2winn
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

This is why so many Amazon buyer accounts gets closed. It screams of money laundering.

nit2winn
  • nit2winn
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

BTW. I am not saying anyone is laundering money. But to Amazon and PayPal that's exactly how it looks and why they close accounts. So by doing this you could be costing a site their Amazon and PayPal accounts.

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

BTW. I am not saying anyone is laundering money. But to Amazon and PayPal that's exactly how it looks and why they close accounts. So by doing this you could be costing a site their Amazon and PayPal accounts.

This has been discussed in depth in the past, infact there is a email response from Amazon posted here on PAW acknowledging it is ok to return wins for credit and it is well within thier policies.

As for Paypal that is the choice of the PA, Paypal profits from those transactions too, however those can become a Tax liabilty depending on the amount and cost verses income. Very few PA's do paypal like that anymore so it is not really an issue anymore

There is a huge gray area here as when you win you have to actually purchese the item that is what differs from gambling (at least for now)

Technically when you win an auction you have only won the right to purchase the items for a specified price.

TyWin7
  • TyWin7
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • 921 posts

Wow this whole thread is crazy

Edited by TyWin7, 23 March 2011 - 08:31 PM.

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!!!:iamwithstupid:

nit2winn
  • nit2winn
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

I have had purchases froze by PayPal until they contacted me several times. They always want to know if I am buying stolen goods. They are confused on how I can buy a new $500 item for $5.

nit2winn
  • nit2winn
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Kinda Ty, but I am also not saying anything bad at B2W.

What I am saying is this business model he has described looks like money laundering (even if that's not the intent).

The example is:

You buy a $500 item for $5 (you won an auction)

You then receive the item but send it back to Amazon for a credit (and collect back the shipping and sales tax that was not paid by you in the first place).

You paid sales tax on the auction win, not the retail amount as the PA site did that but are collecting the sales tax on the retail amount (could be viewed as tax fraud).

You then buy another product that you sell on Ebay or Craigs and collect the cash.

Rather it is your intent or not that is how money is laundered.

Thats why I say it screams of money laundering rather its the intent or not. Amazon and PayPal could easily view it that way and close the PA's accounts because of it (it isnt worth the risk to them).

I have several friends that are Ebay sellers that had their Amazon account closed for buying too many products. You say Amazon dont care because they will still make a sale but I dont believe that to be true. They have lost money on the shipping and a lot of things sold on Amazon isnt sold by Amazon (they just process it).

If your selling your stuff on Amazon and it gets returned you lost that sale didn't you? Yes you may buy something else from Amazon but that doesnt mean the person that sold the product through Amazon in the first place is going to make a sale. Plus someone somewhere lost money on the original shipping.

Plus you are using your Amazon Prime account for free shipping. That is totally against Amazon TOS.

Even if your doing everything totally above board, Amazon may not think its worth the risk and close the PA's buying account because thats where the whole process started.

For the life of me I dont understand why you wouldnt just ask for Amazon credit in the first place and save all the steps and confusion to begin with.

Wow this whole thread is crazy

uanjum
  • uanjum
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

$4-$10 is about average there is the occasional big Item that may cost more, however sending items back claiming damaged is wrong and unfair to Amazon. However I have retuned things like TV's where the packaging was opened or trashed by the shipper as you never know the long term impact of the neglegent handling of electronics, even if I ordered the item from Amazon I use the same standard.

Thanks I just wanted to get your expertise on this. I only say damaged when the box is actually damaged. Sometimes I get boxes from Amazon that looks like they were crushed by big foot himself. Even though the items looked undamaged from the outside of their packaging doesnt mean that the actually item is damaged or not. I rather not take the risk. So every time I get a damaged box I just send it back as damaged. I was just saying it was a way around it by saying that because this was the only time I was not charged for the shipping.

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

Kinda Ty, but I am also not saying anything bad at B2W.

What I am saying is this business model he has described looks like money laundering (even if that's not the intent).

The example is:

You buy a $500 item for $5 (you won an auction)

You then receive the item but send it back to Amazon for a credit (and collect back the shipping and sales tax that was not paid by you in the first place).

You paid sales tax on the auction win, not the retail amount as the PA site did that but are collecting the sales tax on the retail amount (could be viewed as tax fraud).

You then buy another product that you sell on Ebay or Craigs and collect the cash.

Rather it is your intent or not that is how money is laundered.

Thats why I say it screams of money laundering rather its the intent or not. Amazon and PayPal could easily view it that way and close the PA's accounts because of it (it isnt worth the risk to them).

I have several friends that are Ebay sellers that had their Amazon account closed for buying too many products. You say Amazon dont care because they will still make a sale but I dont believe that to be true. They have lost money on the shipping and a lot of things sold on Amazon isnt sold by Amazon (they just process it).

If your selling your stuff on Amazon and it gets returned you lost that sale didn't you? Yes you may buy something else from Amazon but that doesnt mean the person that sold the product through Amazon in the first place is going to make a sale. Plus someone somewhere lost money on the original shipping.

Plus you are using your Amazon Prime account for free shipping. That is totally against Amazon TOS.

Even if your doing everything totally above board, Amazon may not think its worth the risk and close the PA's buying account because thats where the whole process started.

For the life of me I dont understand why you wouldnt just ask for Amazon credit in the first place and save all the steps and confusion to begin with.

Your senaio presented itself a while ago, the PA tried to get amazon to not accept returns and Amazon sided with the bidders that they would accept the returns. These days I send very little back to amazon, as many PA's offer Amazon credit right up front. Other examples I am building a new deck on my house so one PY gives me Home Depot giftcards in lew of the item won, (that site also offers cash but I prefer this route, less complicated) that has been the evolution, When this thread was started 1 year ago PA's them selves were only a little over 1 year old it has evolved since then. Simply put I recieve very few won items these days (except giftcards) and I think that is the same for many here on PAW.

dpennybidder
  • dpennybidder
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

I think this is a great thread. It is nice to know that instead of selling an item on ebay you can return it to amazon for credit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users