The power poster

Started by rwb63 , Feb 28 2010 03:27 PM

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

rwb63
  • rwb63
  • Members
  • 743 posts

PAw has what 1100 members and most likely around 10 percent post.

Could it be that these so called power posters scare them off.
Yes I said it the power posters are spooking members from posting,because they don't want to be attacked by these power posters about there opinion.

Power posters you know who you are. LOL drool

Yes I used to be one of these power posters, but after a stay at power poster rehab I'm better now. :o

Maybe a thread that these power posters can not use would help say anyone who has posted more than (let me see I have posted around 500 times I think) so 620 post can not post.:S

On a serious note we do need more members to tell there dealings with sites it is very helpful to members and readers alike.
Yes it may bring more bidders to your best site, or show a mistake playing a scam site which we all have.
But overall the more bidders know about these site the better for all of us

Lets get these scam sites out of here and let the money go to the honest sites and help them grow.

IHPPC the I Hate Power Poster Club.
  • Miss Marple likes this

SavvyAussie
  • SavvyAussie
  • Members
  • 515 posts

PAw has what 1100 members and most likely around 10 percent post.

Could it be that these so called power posters scare them off.
Yes I said it the power posters are spooking members from posting,because they don't want to be attacked by these power posters about there opinion.

Power posters you know who you are. LOL drool

Yes I used to be one of these power posters, but after a stay at power poster rehab I'm better now. :o

Maybe a thread that these power posters can not use would help say anyone who has posted more than (let me see I have posted around 500 times I think) so 620 post can not post.:S

On a serious note we do need more members to tell there dealings with sites it is very helpful to members and readers alike.
Yes it may bring more bidders to your best site, or show a mistake playing a scam site which we all have.
But overall the more bidders know about these site the better for all of us

Lets get these scam sites out of here and let the money go to the honest sites and help them grow.

IHPPC the I Hate Power Poster Club.

Sign me up!

Seriously, I have wondered if one reason people have posted so often in the past is to "earn" the senior member badge. I think that now the junior member/senior member distinction has been/is being phased out?

eshopper
  • eshopper
  • Members
  • 2,437 posts

lol rwb, i have a lot of posts but there were only 150 members when i joined here so i dont think i scared anyone away. i have piped down a lot lately, for many reasons.

i think the power posters to stay away from are those who are power posting with ulterior motives. ie - be sweet to everyone, befriend all the power bidders, using the same name you bid with in hopes they will let you win auctions. it happens, you know it happens, and you'd be surprised if you could see who is really posting behind those names.

the other is the power posters who somehow make buddies with other power posters and get their email address, phone number, etc and make contact with them off forum. i haven't figured out yet how thats possible since there is no private message system here but then those power posting friends collude against you on an auction. yeah..that happens here too.
You aren't wealthy until you have something money can't buy.

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

How many times has someone "stumbled" upon a site you never heard of and found familiar bidders playing there and they are winning? I know I have. Why is it that people don't want to share their secrets with the rest of the world? Because their chances of winning will get much smaller. Yes, we have probably at least 900 members who do not post (many who had to register to take part in the free give-away, and we haven't heard from them since)....we have probably just as many "guests" who view our forum to see what we're recommending. Unfortunately, many new or "seldom" posters only come to scream "Scam!" or shill post for an auction site. How many of these non-actives are reaping the benefits of our knowledge and not sharing what they have found? I think lack of posters has nothing to do with anyone scaring people away....I think they just don't want to share.

Another point....when someone new does join and posts an introduction...how many members even take the time to post an acknowledgment and welcome? Not many considering the size of our forum. We really do not give warm welcomes to new members.

I would be interested in hearing more on your definition of a Power Bidder....please elaborate.
I used to be a powerbidder, but now I just make mental bids. That’s how I lost my mind.
suzyq aka cwazywabbit

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

Sign me up!

Seriously, I have wondered if one reason people have posted so often in the past is to "earn" the senior member badge. I think that now the junior member/senior member distinction has been/is being phased out?

Sorry, but I also disagree with this one....maybe if there were some monetary reward involved. What benefit would there be for a senior member?
I used to be a powerbidder, but now I just make mental bids. That’s how I lost my mind.
suzyq aka cwazywabbit

PAWUSER8
  • PAWUSER8
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

lol rwb, i have a lot of posts but there were only 150 members when i joined here so i dont think i scared anyone away. i have piped down a lot lately, for many reasons.

i think the power posters to stay away from are those who are power posting with ulterior motives. ie - be sweet to everyone, befriend all the power bidders, using the same name you bid with in hopes they will let you win auctions. it happens, you know it happens, and you'd be surprised if you could see who is really posting behind those names.

the other is the power posters who somehow make buddies with other power posters and get their email address, phone number, etc and make contact with them off forum. i haven't figured out yet how thats possible since there is no private message system here but then those power posting friends collude against you on an auction. yeah..that happens here too.

OMG....eshopper you could not be more correct. But there does not have to be a private message system on here for that to happen. Some of these people are from old sites like Bidsticks and Bid66 who had chat rooms on their sites. And if you use bidsticks who used chatango, you could send a private message. In fact this is how I met several people on here. And just as you said, I thought I had met a great friend (a power-poster on this site), however that so called friend took me for over 1400.00 and will not even respond to an email. Knowing what I know about some of these sites and how an owner colluded with a bidder, and how another owner knew of collusion and would not get involved because they said it sounded personal, I am not sure if I trust any site. Collusion is Collusion and in many occasions is personal.

And if you watch closely on some of the sites you can figure it out as you will never see these friends bid against each other unless they are playing the collusion card, so they will go against each other for a few bids so they think people won't think it is collusion, but people are not stupid.

I would love to expose these sites and these peoples names, but I need to check with an attorney first to make sure there are no legal ramifications for me.

I have been called names, accused of bidding on sites I have never even registered for, and have had these so called friends come after me on sites, because they are sticking up for a power-poster!

Tired of it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PAWUSER8
  • PAWUSER8
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Sorry, but I also disagree with this one....maybe if there were some monetary reward involved. What benefit would there be for a senior member?

It is the same reason you have power bidders, it is intimidation! And I do believe that is why they power post.

rwb63
  • rwb63
  • Members
  • 743 posts

All three are great points of discussion.

The senior member thing yep could be some of it.

eshopper I do agree that the site is used for strategy and you make a good point, also there are politics involved within this site too!

Suzy very good point too!
As for the power bidder thing I think that changes from bidder to bidder what some consider a power bidder other bidders don't.
You should start a thread on that too!

I too have stopped posting for a few reasons.
I try to stick too posting about sites or helping out bidders with sites I play I try to stay away from a lot of the discussions just not worth it anymore.Way to much drama and fights,instead of a good discussion.
I do feel that keeps some away

The reason I posted this thread is for this discussion right now and maybe it would bring some members out and post the more we have the greater benefit it is to all.

rwb63
  • rwb63
  • Members
  • 743 posts

It is the same reason you have power bidders, it is intimidation! And I do believe that is why they power post.

Not all power posters do this for intimidation a lot are trying to help share too!
Lets not lump everyone together

The reason for this thread is to get more people posting.

Is there collusion yes there is,but it's not that easy.

Also some bidders don't bid against each other because we want deals and bidders that have been on the circuit or do their homework know it's not worth it to challenge some bidders.

PAWUSER8
  • PAWUSER8
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Not all power posters do this for intimidation a lot are trying to help share too!
Lets not lump everyone together

The reason for this thread is to get more people posting.

Is there collusion yes there is,but it's not that easy.

Also some bidders don't bid against each other because we want deals and bidders that have been on the circuit or do their homework know it's not worth it to challenge some bidders.

I was not trying to lump everyone together, please accept my apology if it seemed liked that. I was speaking more of the one's that I know from the sites I have been on.

I just wanted to make a point it does happen and more than anyone realizes.

And as far as not bidding against each other, most friends don't bid against each other because they are friends. However you are right if you do your homework you will know that product will be up again for bidding with in a few days (usually).

But I agree with you that more should post, it would be great to see more people's perspective.

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

I have more respect for the PAW members who openly disclose their bidder names. I am more afraid of the ones who use a different name, or different names on different sites. Some even go as far as changing their name frequently on any given site so you never know for sure if they are colluding.

I might be incorrect, but I believe that at one time PAW did have an instant messaging system for members. Even without that, it would still be very easy to get in touch with other members.
suzyq aka cwazywabbit

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

I have been called names, accused of bidding on sites I have never even registered for, and have had these so called friends come after me on sites, because they are sticking up for a power-poster!

I don't recall seeing PAWUSER8 on any sites....do you mind telling me where you bid?
suzyq aka cwazywabbit

Barbarian
  • Barbarian
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

You guy's raise some very valid points, check out my post here... http://pennyauctionwatch.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33203&posted=1#post33203
If I can't take it with me, then I am not going.

PAWUSER8
  • PAWUSER8
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

I don't recall seeing PAWUSER8 on any sites....do you mind telling me where you bid?

my name on here was changed by the owner. But I am sure with enough research you would know who I am. I only bid on a couple of sites.

suzyq
  • suzyq
  • Members
  • 3,109 posts

You guy's raise some very valid points, check out my post here... http://pennyauctionwatch.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33203&posted=1#post33203

I did see that post, Barbarian, and even commented on it.

Team bidding, collusion, revenge, whatever you want to call it, is prevalent in penny auctions. I tried to bring the subject up several months ago. Probably 90% of the people who responded to my post said that I was full of beans.

I have seen power bidder friends working together....one bids until midnight (because the other cannot due to win limits), midnight comes along when win limits are reset, and then the other one jumps in.

I have seen families bidding on the same auction. No, they did not have the same physical or IP address. But they are related....so is that not collusion?

As far as not bidding against PAW friends....I, myself, would be guilty of that. Sometimes out of respect, sometimes because I know I wouldn't stand a chance. Is that also collusion? I don't believe so because it does not have any affect on the auction itself.
suzyq aka cwazywabbit

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

I have more respect for the PAW members who openly disclose their bidder names. I am more afraid of the ones who use a different name, or different names on different sites. Some even go as far as changing their name frequently on any given site so you never know for sure if they are colluding.

I actually think its better when people use different names on different sites but hear me out on this one
1. for security because if you have multiple screen names it is harder to try and hack your account.
2. it may prevent the "no bidding out of respect" thing. Provided of course the members don't communicate in other places and tell one another their screen name.

Team bidding, collusion, revenge, whatever you want to call it, is prevalent in penny auctions. I tried to bring the subject up several months ago. Probably 90% of the people who responded to my post said that I was full of beans.

I have seen power bidder friends working together....one bids until midnight (because the other cannot due to win limits), midnight comes along when win limits are reset, and then the other one jumps in.

I have seen families bidding on the same auction. No, they did not have the same physical or IP address. But they are related....so is that not collusion?

As far as not bidding against PAW friends....I, myself, would be guilty of that. Sometimes out of respect, sometimes because I know I wouldn't stand a chance. Is that also collusion? I don't believe so because it does not have any affect on the auction itself.

No your def not full of beans - collusion and stuff like that is to hard to prevent in this type of communication age. Only thing that could really be done would be to blank out the high bidder and bid history so that you would never know who the high bidder is or who they were bidding against until the end. MOST users would hate this idea and the site would look bogus BUT it would prevent the collusion of bidders.

This is why win limits the way they are on some sites are somewhat useless. You can win a 50" plasma just before midnight at the end of the month and then win another one first thin in the morning of the next month. Some sites (bidpigs.com, sellmoo.com and a few others) use a rolling period. Daily limits are 24 hours exactly so the person can't bid until 24 hours has passed on that type of auction. Weekly limits would be 7 days and monthly would be 30 days. Now if the auction they want to bid on passes that 24 hour or 7 day or 30 day mark then they can begin bidding on those auctions but if someone invests enough bids to keep that auction going for that long why wouldn't they just continue and win the item and save the bids on the other persons account.

Families bidding on the same item is def collusion but once again how could it be stopped. There is no sure fire way accept for the one i mentioned above. The same thing could possibly be done with a random number or something assigned to each bidder in an auction. But all it would take is a PM or IM to get that new id out to the peeps helping you.

For this part - if it is out of respect (because they want it and you don't want to possibly take it away) then yes it is collusion Even if there is no spoken agreement. The second part of "knowing you don't stand a chance" is more of a bullying method. It's what power bidders do to make sure that people "won't" bid against them because they will Believe they "don't stand a chance"

rwb63
  • rwb63
  • Members
  • 743 posts

I'm not calling anyone out so don't get me wrong here.

I started this thread as a discussion to help get more members to post and it started as just that.
Then it turns to a collusion thread and this is one of the reasons I feel some do not post, to much extra post off topic makes a lot of threads a very long read.

Hopefully we can get more new members and non active members posting if we can find out more on this subject.
This should be a subject that all members no matter if they have posted 3000 times or 1 time to give their opinions and maybe help others want to become more active on the forum *hug*

Barbarian
  • Barbarian
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

I did see that post, Barbarian, and even commented on it.

Hi SuzyQ, You are 100% correct on all points in your post. Its too bad that others have not made the same observations you have. Your last paragraph "Bidding against PAW friends" is equally correct. Bidding
between PAW friends is friendly competition, but competition nevertheless and everyone should realize this. If I were you I wouldn't feel one bit guilty bidding against PAW friends and neither should they feel guilty for bidding against you.

By all means build up a social network of freinds on PAW, but when push comes to shove, try to win. Don't worry you are not in collusion. You are already a nice person with a great sense of fair play about you this is very obvious from your posts throughout the PAW forum. No one is qualified to point any finger of blame at you if you win a hard fought bidding battle. Now go and kick some butt and if someone beats you fair and square congratulate them, I am sure they will do the same for you.
If I can't take it with me, then I am not going.

Alice
  • Alice
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

While I just joined PAW officially, I have been "lurking" for quite some time. I haven't ever made posts, but I've done TONS of research here looking for new, legit sites. I've tried a few on my own, and have been burned, and I have done VERY well at some others. Now that I'm a member, I plan to leave my opinions and experiences in the appropriate threads. However, I do want to say that even though I don't know anyone here personally, and have never interacted with any of you (aside from bidding against one another), there are some here, the "power-posters" as they've been dubbed who's opinions, points of view and experiences I trust. Sometimes I see PAW folks on certain sites and will join because of their reputations here for finding legitimate sites, shills, bots, and other positives and negatives. So, i think these "power posters" do the forum and the PA community a world of good. Just 2 cents from someone who isn't a newbie to the PA world, but a newbie to posting here.;)

rwb63
  • rwb63
  • Members
  • 743 posts

While I just joined PAW officially, I have been "lurking" for quite some time. I haven't ever made posts, but I've done TONS of research here looking for new, legit sites. I've tried a few on my own, and have been burned, and I have done VERY well at some others. Now that I'm a member, I plan to leave my opinions and experiences in the appropriate threads. However, I do want to say that even though I don't know anyone here personally, and have never interacted with any of you (aside from bidding against one another), there are some here, the "power-posters" as they've been dubbed who's opinions, points of view and experiences I trust. Sometimes I see PAW folks on certain sites and will join because of their reputations here for finding legitimate sites, shills, bots, and other positives and negatives. So, i think these "power posters" do the forum and the PA community a world of good. Just 2 cents from someone who isn't a newbie to the PA world, but a newbie to posting here.;)

Hi Alice welcome to the forum hopefully we will have more like you post any info is good info even if it's the sites a lot of us have been posting about.
It's always good to see it from another bidders opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users