Scams?

Started by PennyAuctionWatch , Mar 10 2010 11:20 AM

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

dzignr_tastz
  • dzignr_tastz
  • Members
  • 696 posts

Well who would care that this is happening? Let's analyze what's happening...

1) They are committing fraud.

2) They are using copyrighted images and descriptions of companies' products (most of the time directly from the manufacturer websites) to further facilitate this fraud.

3) Certain sites have been "endorsed" in some way or another to provide a false sense of security while bidding.

Based off of these three facts alone, I could probably come up with a list of over 100 different email addresses that a link to this article should be emailed to in an attempt to put an end to these fraudulent companies.

Anyone else?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
- Albert Einstein

eshopper
  • eshopper
  • Members
  • 2,437 posts

I'm curious as to why the title of this thread keeps changing? I mean, I know you want everyone to read the blog post, and I have, but I don't understand the need for the rotating thread title every few hours. Other than that, I'll leave a more positive comment:

Good job, PAW! Thank you for all you do! Shilling is wrong! Fraud is wrong! We need federal regulation in this industry NOW. :)
You aren't wealthy until you have something money can't buy.

dzignr_tastz
  • dzignr_tastz
  • Members
  • 696 posts

I'm curious as to why the title of this thread keeps changing? I mean, I know you want everyone to read the blog post, and I have, but I don't understand the need for the rotating thread title every few hours. Other than that, I'll leave a more positive comment:

Good job, PAW! Thank you for all you do! Shilling is wrong! Fraud is wrong! We need federal regulation in this industry NOW. :)

She's just a little undecided as to the best way to get people's attention on the matter (since no one seems to be saying much about such an important issue) - LOL!! Me... I just left mine abstract title alone and it's gotten plenty of attention. :wink:

Now until federal regulation is in place (if ever), what are your suggestions towards putting a stop towards the obvious fraud (which is still happening to unwitting individuals not lucky enough to have found PAW yet as we speak)?

EDIT: I mean - it's relatively easy (and not very time consuming) to say "shilling is wrong". But what are you personally willing to contribute to help attempt to put an end to it? A couple hours? A few emails? Anything? After all - it could be affecting every one of us in one way or another, and the support is few and far between it seems.

Not picking on you, eshopper. :toung: Just making a point.

Edited by dzignr_tastz, 14 March 2010 - 12:47 AM.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
- Albert Einstein

candy
  • candy
  • Members
  • 2,195 posts

She's just a little undecided as to the best way to get people's attention on the matter (since no one seems to be saying much about such an important issue) - LOL!! Me... I just left mine abstract title alone and it's gotten plenty of attention. :wink:

Now until federal regulation is in place (if ever), what are your suggestions towards putting a stop towards the obvious fraud (which is still happening to unwitting individuals not lucky enough to have found PAW yet as we speak)?

EDIT: I mean - it's relatively easy (and not very time consuming) to say "shilling is wrong". But what are you personally willing to contribute to help attempt to put an end to it? A couple hours? A few emails? Anything? After all - it could be affecting every one of us in one way or another, and the support is few and far between it seems.

Not picking on you, eshopper. :toung: Just making a point.

I wonder if the honest PA owners will even be able to keep their doors open for the long term? After all, they have to compete with dishonest PA's which make much larger profits.

We all complain about not having a level playing field, at one time or another, but the honest PA owners have a good beef about this also.

What worries me about the government getting involved...bids will go up & who knows what else? We need something done, but the Feds may screw it up worse! LOL They might find a way to tax us! If they can include soda in the sin tax, I bet PA users would get taxed sinfully also :o

Wouldn't it be nice if people would just stop using the fraudulent PA's? That would be really fun to watch happen. Everyone would get e-mails with bid pack specials, free bids, contests, etc etc etc. :smilielol5:

Too bad there isn't an activation you have to validate to PAW before joining any PA. The honest PA's could require it, having PAW's seal of approval. If it's not stamped PAW.... don't go there woot

Don't join without protection! Use PAW forum :P

NHappraiser
  • NHappraiser
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

OK, I just ran a search on Penny auctions on Yahoo, PAW came up number 7 on the list. It was number 2 on Google.
Perhaps somehow the search engines could be convinced that it is their moral duty to boldly list PAW as the #1 spot and have the PAW header (or whatever it is) scream Scam busters louder than anything else. Also, while typing this I came up with this, perhaps Yahoo and Google could be informed about the scamming sites and block them from coming up on searches. Thus, no potential customers from searches at least. If they can't block them than maybe they can attack the sites with the large font SCAM or red letters indicating dangerous web sites. There must be some way for the search engines to help protect their users and the rest of the general public. I guess perhaps PAW could send some of these rip-off report type sites proof of these companies and maybe that will also help. Just my new thoughts.

dzignr_tastz
  • dzignr_tastz
  • Members
  • 696 posts

There we go! :wink: Excellent contribution, NHappraiser (and one that I don't think has been considered yet, although I do know PAW is very adamant about their SEO).

I suppose we could also try compiling a list of all their server hosts and report them to the abuse center for each? Maybe if the host sees need they would simply shut them down...

- Albert Einstein

Linky
  • Linky
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

a thought - could PAW have a seperate list or directory for the scammer sites - the proven ones - with a tab at the top of the home page? that way members or passer byers could quickly access the list instead of having to hunt for the threads that discuss them.

dzignr_tastz
  • dzignr_tastz
  • Members
  • 696 posts

Sounds like another great idea! I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement (or how quickly it could be done), but it's surely possible with the WordPress theme that is currently being utilized.

Keep 'em coming, guys. :lurk5:

- Albert Einstein

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

a thought - could PAW have a seperate list or directory for the scammer sites - the proven ones - with a tab at the top of the home page? that way members or passer byers could quickly access the list instead of having to hunt for the threads that discuss them.

That sounds great, would you guys like to help me compile this list?

You can use this http://www.pennyauct...ny-auction-list & the threads in the forum & blog posts for reference :)

I'll start a new thread for this in the sites section.

Thank you!

Edited by PennyAuctionWatch, 14 March 2010 - 09:16 PM.

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

rain2112
  • rain2112
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

There are lots of great suggestions here. Additionally (if it has not been done already) for sites that list users' e-mail addresses, a list could be compiled of those addresses and an e-mail sent out to those who are on it.

This practice really does need to be stopped!

bids4che4p
  • bids4che4p
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

The sad thing about sites like this, they make it very hard for us new legit sites to come out. People either get turned off from the idea, or they wait to see how things work and the site ends up shutting down. Hopefully this wont happen to us. We are doing everything possible to spread the word and take every suggestion from PAW and its users. I was telling another user how most forum sites I visit are full of "experts" who think they are the master of the universe, but not this site. Seems to be solid posters who truly wanna keep this idea going. Thanks PAW and all the users for your help and support.

Thanks,
Brandon
www.bids4cheap.com

eshopper
  • eshopper
  • Members
  • 2,437 posts

I suggest that persons who have been scammed by any of these sites to file a complaint at http://www.ic3.gov/ - if they get enough complaints on PA's maybe this industry will finally be properly regulated.
You aren't wealthy until you have something money can't buy.

dzignr_tastz
  • dzignr_tastz
  • Members
  • 696 posts

So what happened to this? the article exposing about 20 different scam sites sat on the front page for a week... this thread was started and barely made it to 20 posts... and all of a sudden no one really gives a crap? What's wrong with this picture?

So NO ONE here ever bid on any of these sites (except for me)? No one ever got ripped off by one of them and is a bit upset about it?

- Albert Einstein

Rexi
  • Rexi
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

how can i report one more suspicions site? actually am sure they scam ppl :(
just need someone to confirm it in professional way.
they even made humanitary tv promotion.. how sad.... scam from one so u can have promotion for poor... terrible

dzignr_tastz
  • dzignr_tastz
  • Members
  • 696 posts

how can i report one more suspicions site? actually am sure they scam ppl :(
just need someone to confirm it in professional way.
they even made humanitary tv promotion.. how sad.... scam from one so u can have promotion for poor... terrible

Well if you don't want to post the name up here, either send an email to pennyauctionwatch@gmail.com (you REALLY need some sort of contact info somewhere on the site or send it to me at removed I'll be glad to look into it and discuss it with you.

Edited by PennyAuctionWatch, 26 March 2010 - 04:36 AM.
email address reoved, see rules

- Albert Einstein

Rexi
  • Rexi
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

sent on mail

I dont wanna put it public untill we r sure :)

dzignr_tastz
  • dzignr_tastz
  • Members
  • 696 posts

sent on mail

Got it. :wink: Since I'm very familiar with the bidding pattern when the shills are being used, I'll watch them on and off for a short while and let you know what I think.

- Albert Einstein

glassware
  • glassware
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Got it. :wink: Since I'm very familiar with the bidding pattern when the shills are being used, I'll watch them on and off for a short while and let you know what I think.

Along with that dzignr can you clue the rest of us what to look for with shill
bidding...???? I feeling that there are sites I'm on that aren't just right........

dzignr_tastz
  • dzignr_tastz
  • Members
  • 696 posts

Along with that dzignr can you clue the rest of us what to look for with shill
bidding...???? I feeling that there are sites I'm on that aren't just right........

Sure! I'd be glad to... but I honestly feel something like that should be dedicated to it's own thread and stickied versus lost in here somewhere.

However, my last comment was specifically referring to being very familiar with the bidding patterns of the autobidders in the PHPPA script, for lord knows I spent enough time fighting (and losing money to) them when I first started on NickelBids.

- Albert Einstein

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

sent on mail

Thank you, I'll take a look & get back to you soon.

Edited by PennyAuctionWatch, 26 March 2010 - 11:23 AM.

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users