Started by Shenanigans , Mar 10 2010 08:20 PM

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Shenanigans
  • Shenanigans
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • 1,086 posts

How about when these scam sites are busted, the thread which was started prior to that being known gets locked with a final note/message/link from PAW?

This way, those scam sites, which have been red flagged, and condemned by PAW, no longer get the free exposure, publicity, or opportunity for new bidders?

Makes sense to me, YMMV ;)
DO WHAT'S RIGHT, NOT WHAT'S EASY

PennyBuy.US
  • PennyBuy.US
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

How about when these scam sites are busted, the thread which was started prior to that being known gets locked with a final note/message/link from PAW?

This way, those scam sites, which have been red flagged, and condemned by PAW, no longer get the free exposure, publicity, or opportunity for new bidders?

Makes sense to me, YMMV ;)

I think I like what yer saying.. as an example:

I started a thread called NEWAWESOMEPENNYAUCTION.COM IS SUPER GREATS!!!!!!!!

and then 3 weeks later someone calls foul, and it's determined the site is using bots or something equally chitty, PAW would rename the original thread to

"NEWAWESOMEPENNYAUCTION.COM - Fraud Alert! Uses Shill/Auto Bidding!"

Could be helpful to the community!!
(PennyBuy - No !##%$&!*%^ BOTS!)

Shenanigans
  • Shenanigans
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • 1,086 posts

Yup, I saw PAW has been "archiving" threads, and I think she could make a LOCKED Redflag section for these instances.

rockybiduser
  • rockybiduser
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

I am not sure if bad publicity is a good one for these tainted sites.So when a busted site thread get some update it comes up to top but with the red flags and fraud alert which i think better to remind all visitor (old and new) about that site .

While we are on the topic how about adding a summary paragraph for each thread. I have seen that implemented in some popular deal sites like fatwallet.com .In that case we can just summarize the gist there so that should give an idea about those lengthy discussion running into 10-15 pages .Any PAW user can add their comments and should be moderated by PAW admin. But this require PAW member to act responsibly and they should not add the same thing what is part of the thread and use their due deligence.

Shenanigans
  • Shenanigans
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • 1,086 posts

I am not sure if bad publicity is a good one for these tainted sites.So when a busted site thread get some update it comes up to top but with the red flags and fraud alert which i think better to remind all visitor (old and new) about that site.

The bad publicity theory failed to dissuade people from registering at BidTent.com :rolleyes:

This would still update the thread, bringing it to the top with the last message from PAW. When you have multi page threads, IME the majority of user jump to the last page to see what's new, but as PennyBuy added, PAW could edit the title as well.

cherilen
  • cherilen
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

I like the idea. How about something like this. In the forums, right now there is a special section for the "107 Winners"; maybe we could have a special forum section like that. It would only be thread listings of auction names and beside the name will have thumbs up or stars for a ranking.

Then only one or two posts, or just one post from PAW or PAW updated posts. Maybe state opening date, location, and if PAW aproved then only PAW can add stuff. Not pages like they are now where everyone can do it. Just short and simple and it's own forum.

On another note, I am not on the auction list. Could I please be added.
THANKS!

CHERYL
www.abcpennyauctions.com

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Thanks for the feedback.. Well I had this in mind Cherilen for reviews but it turned into a discussion section, What do you think about this? (View screenshots).

http://www.vbcover.c...t&productid=48#

I think there is a flaw though and users will have to post probably at minimum 200-300 words.

I'll add your site now.

Thanks

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

PennyBuy.US
  • PennyBuy.US
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Thanks for the feedback.. Well I had this in mind Cherilen for reviews but it turned into a discussion section, What do you think about this? (View screenshots).

http://www.vbcover.c...t&productid=48#

I think there is a flaw though and users will have to post probably at minimum 200-300 words.

I'll add your site now.

Thanks

The review module is nice; the subaru forums I belong to has a review section for after market parts and it comes in handy to get actual reviews instead of chatter back and forth.. don't get me wrong, i'm all about useless posts [as you can probably gather by now], but it's nice when theres a section dedicated to "yes/no" for things!
(PennyBuy - No !##%$&!*%^ BOTS!)

Shenanigans
  • Shenanigans
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • 1,086 posts

ewww (at the price) I thought the itrader system was built into vB.

Even with the iTrader, how would you incorporate that into PAW between the PA owners and who gives them + or - ratings??

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

ewww (at the price) I thought the itrader system was built into vB.

Even with the iTrader, how would you incorporate that into PAW between the PA owners and who gives them + or - ratings??

Yes, that's the problem. I can get iTrader it's not built in, i thought itrader was just for a marketplace system though.. Hm

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

Shenanigans
  • Shenanigans
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • 1,086 posts

ireviews***

Sorry =)

Anyway, back on topic, I just think once you deem a site a scam, the thread should get locked, with a last word from PAW.

Barbarian
  • Barbarian
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

I think many of us without realizing it, are losing sight of a very important condition that now exists on PAW. Quite often we make mention of the owner of PAW approving this and not approving that, or she should do this or she should do that etc.

By virtue of her ownership alone, we are setting the PAW owner up to be proficient in ALL areas of the Penny Auction Industry. She is indirectly being asked to be Judge, Jury, Mother Theresa and anyone else one cares to mention. Plain and simple, this is not only impossible for Amanda to be all things to everyone, its simply not fair or right to expect anyone to accomplish this daunting task alone.

Even though many of the things suggested are well intentioned, as the PAW owner, she is quite often being placed in a position of, she is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

While having ownership of PAW gives her the indisputed authority to make the final descision on anything involving PAW. It also follows, as PAW grows, that she is increasingly finding herself in the unenviable position of being torn between several factions on the various forums. She cannot possibly be expected to be fully conversant on all subjects raised in the forum posts.

In view of this, I personally am going to suggest to Amanda that she select a volunteer advisory board to PAW. This board can be comprised of a good cross section of talents ranging from Legal, Business, Homemakers, Bidders, Auction Owners, technical talent etc, just to name a few.

Initially, the Advisory board would NOT be an elected board, instead it would be selected by the PAW owner only, from volunteers who wish to have their name considered for advisory board membership.

Once the original board has been selected, then it would be up to the PAW owner if she wants any subsequent advisory board members to be elected by vote or to be selected by her only at her sole discretion.

In any event, she needs help plain & simple. PAW is growing in leaps and bounds, it is enjoyed freely by all of us, we have adopted it as our own voice. I can well imagine that before too long it will become overwhelming for Amanda, if she isn't starting to feel that already. I think it is time to show our appreciation and give a little something in return for what we are enjoying on a daily basis.

If she accepts the formation of an advisory board,. then once the board is convened, a section on the forum should be set up for any registered member to submit suggestions of varying kinds to be considered by the board. Only PAW related issues would be submitted in this section.

Your CONSTRUCTIVE opinions are most welcome.
If I can't take it with me, then I am not going.

Rayall20069
  • Rayall20069
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Yeah but, Amanda owns PAW. She has the right to change things, I would almost suggest if anybody has a problem with that maybe you should start your own site? Unless I misunderstood Barbarian's post.

monikab
  • monikab
  • Members
  • 834 posts

hi,

rayall20069,i think you did misunderstood barbarian.

i took the post as a suggestion for paw .

but well maybe i misunderstood?

gonna read it again

monika

Barbarian
  • Barbarian
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Rayall20069, Yes, Monika is correct, you missunderstood my post. I already own my own site and all I was trying to do is point out that the PAW site owner Amanda needs some help.

Quite often some of the PAW members tend to be a little over critical of PAW. Even if they weren't, Like I mentioned in my previous post,, Amanda can't be expected to be all things to be everybody and be right all the time on top of that.

Therefore, I propose that she convene a volunteer advisory board comprised of pAW members to help her. I also mentioned that I would be approaching her direct on this. In the final analysis, its up to her to accept or refuse to do this. I hope I have clarified things a bit better this time around.

When you read between the lines and pick up the TONE of the posts as opposed to the written word, then it is obvious that many PAW members are very protective of PAW to the extent that it could be construed that they have kind of adopted it as their own, (WHICH IS A GOOD THING). That seemingly being the case then lets help her out, because before anyone realizes, it will become too big to handle at the rate it is growing.
If I can't take it with me, then I am not going.

Shenanigans
  • Shenanigans
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • 1,086 posts

Barbarian (Shakespeare), PAW has the reins, and is capable to do a LOT more than she even realizes. Henry Ford once said "Whether you think you can, or can't, you're usually right."

PAW has an advisory board, it's headed up by PAW, admin, and Amanda. =) From my discussions with PAW, I gather she does not want anyone else being involved.

Trying to steer us back on topic, I don't think this would add any more load to PAW's plate, as PAW regularly posts in threads where a site is found cheating. The only difference is, PAW would decide when the thread is locked, and where it goes from there.

"Members" protective of PAW? Of coarse. Does PAW always understand that? NOPE!! LOL

zero
  • zero
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Barbarian (Shakespeare), PAW has the reins, and is capable to do a LOT more than she even realizes. Henry Ford once said "Whether you think you can, or can't, you're usually right."

PAW has an advisory board, it's headed up by PAW, admin, and Amanda. =) From my discussions with PAW, I gather she does not want anyone else being involved.

Trying to steer us back on topic, I don't think this would add any more load to PAW's plate, as PAW regularly posts in threads where a site is found cheating. The only difference is, PAW would decide when the thread is locked, and where it goes from there.

"Members" protective of PAW? Of coarse. Does PAW always understand that? NOPE!! LOL

I think a flat out rating system would be good, with site reliability,integrity, and shipping speeds, being factors for the rating system. In addition if a site is found as a scam they should not be allowed to post and advertise in the forum.
That's my opinion though

rebecca1973
  • rebecca1973
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

I would love to do rating it would be a geat resource for all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users