Started by tghan89 , May 13 2010 12:10 PM

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

tghan89
  • tghan89
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello , I have been in this forum quite a while , reading lots of threads and getting a lot info about building up a penny auction website, so i hope i can get more info from you guys and maybe we can learn from each other.

I have been told saying that running on a shared hosting may not be sufficient , previously i was thinking of running on hostgator shared hosting ( business plan ) and that may be good enough , only when i got more customers then only i upgrade to vps or dedicated server.

However , after much threads i have read and some recommendation, they say it is a must to get a dedicated server, because of the cron job , scripts , the number of people , etc etc..

so here is my problem , we're trying to cut our cost to the very minimum and of course by doing that we hope to give our customer the best experience ever in our penny auction site .

The currency at my country is much lower than USD , so converting to our currency the server cost is quite expensive , so i am thinking whether vps hosting is enough to support the script.

Besides that, would also like to know which hosting is best recommended , i saw they recommend WiredTree , i read up the reviews about this hosting company and most of them are positive reviews , that goes the same to hostgator.

So would like to hear more opinions from you guys , thanks a lot !! woot

ZMakarov
  • ZMakarov
  • spammer for bid66
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi,
How about godaddy, its a good hosting company.

bcinvestitures
  • bcinvestitures
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

A VPS solution should be sufficient to handle the of cronjobs that a typical PA requires to operate. (60+ cronjobs/hr) Obviously, a dedicated server is a better option for performance despite cost. I use a Go Daddy VPS and it performs well.

tghan89
  • tghan89
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

i see...hmm..
but i saw quite a few bad reviews about godaddy..
godaddy is good in domain names , and handling small sites , when it comes to heavy sites , they dun really perform in a very good way , and very poor customer service

bcinvestitures
  • bcinvestitures
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

My point is that a VPS solution should work fine for you. Go Daddy works okay for me, but by all means, use anyone you like.

tghan89
  • tghan89
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

i see..hmm..thanks a lot for helping me out..haha..
i guess i know which one i will go for

Linky
  • Linky
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

You should also check out this thread

http://www.pennyauct...-explained.html

A lot of great information about servers for PA's!!

Kelly

tghan89
  • tghan89
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

thx a lot for helping me out !!

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

There are several options for hosting of a PA script -
Depending on what the script is it may have some very high requirements and it's best to check with the developer first.

For Shared Hosting - You may be able to get away with this for a beta-test but should never consider it a good choice for a live environment. MANY OF US INCLUDING MYSELF went this way and wound up with downtime because of it.

VPS - In most cases is not a suitable environment, its basically a shared hosting platform that is made to look more like a dedicated server. YES you can have a few more controllable features but again - it's still shared. Thats why the VPS acronym means VIRTUAL private server - it is not a private server but a virtual one.

CLOUD COMPUTING - This is not a bad option and with advancements coming along daily in the field of networking and cloud computing this could be a very good option for a small budget minded site. Just remember that because it's a CLOUD and not a dedicated server you may have higher lag than on a dedicated server. You may also have more lag on your database transactions causing more issues with timers and bid placement. BUT since you can upgrade the hardware quickly without having to setup a new server that process is much faster.

Dedicated Server - Ultimately this is the BEST option if you get a server that has the right specs for your software. You get the quicker transmission speeds, the dedicated server that no-one else is on - and the security of a non-shared environment. BUT with that you also have the drawbacks of the higher price and the single point of failure if the server crashes.

The Other option - with so many PA sites out there these days you could talk to a "Trusted" site owner who has a dedicated server. In some cases they may be willing to host another site, this will allow them to cut the cost of the server. BUT BE WARNED - since they have the full access to the server they will also have access to anything you put there including your customer database. Another drawback is that if they get greedy and start hosting too many sites - all the sites will have issues.

char-par
  • char-par
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

In my opinion cloud hosting is your best option. I can recommend you this cloud hosting provider. Check you the free trial and their support. I was really surprised about the quality they offer.

Wicket56
  • Wicket56
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

In my opinion cloud hosting is your best option. I can recommend you this cloud hosting provider. Check you the free trial and their support. I was really surprised about the quality they offer.

Do you have issues with time not being synchronized across multiple servers that are running your cloud application.
It seems like time synchronization would be important for penny auctions.

Dedicated servers can be rented for $100 a month, eboundhost.com. It seems if you don't have the capital for a dedicated server, or especially a VPS ($35) then you don't have the capital on hand to put items up for auction.

richuno
  • richuno
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I know this response is a bit dated, but....

If anyone reading this thread has concerns about $100 - $500 per month for hosting, you DO NOT have the capital to run a penny auction. No website has an instantaneous visitor base. You should have a large enough budget to promote your site, pay for your infrastructure and post product.

I have custom written my own script. I am VERY proud of my accomplishment and would love to launch it live, BUT I know I do not have the capital to expose myself to downside risks during the startup phase of the site.

Ask yourself, "Can I afford to sell an iPod for $0.60 + s/h if I only get 1 bid?" How about an auction ending every couple of minutes? Can you afford to take the hit in the beginning while you build a customer base?

I know every person on this site has a business model, mine is neither better nor worse - just mine: I need the following:

• $3500 per month late night TV (cable & Satellite) Advertising
  • $1000 per month pay per click advertising
  • $10,000 per month pre-purchased product
  • 6 months ramp up timeframe

Not including hosting and IT I need a minimum of $87,000 working capital to even THINK about going live (with the intent of being profitable)
If I were concerned about $500, I would seriously reconsider your business model (Unless you have a ready supply of cheap or free product that people are willing to buy credits to bid on).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users