beware bid deal penny auction ethics

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

cobidder
  • cobidder
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Many months ago, I thought BigDeal was one of the best penny auction sites around. It was possible to win, and they offered buy-it-now and a rewards store. In the last month or so, it seems impossible to win. I have invested a good amount into BigDeal, yet have not won one auction. No, obviously this does not mean it's a scam, but it does seem fishy that there are hardly any PAW members over there.

Anybody have any opinions?

monikab
  • monikab
  • Members
  • 834 posts

hi ,

i have to say i like bigdeal but only use it very sparingly .

basically i only use it on items i want and i am willing to go all the way .

but you are correct it is very hard to win there .

this is why i only use maybe 1 time a month :)

monika

NHappraiser
  • NHappraiser
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

So has anyone won/received product from bigdeals?

rockybiduser
  • rockybiduser
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

I always received my won and buy now items.the max waiting time was 2 weeks and min was less than a week.Hope it helps.

cobidder
  • cobidder
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

So has anyone won/received product from bigdeals?

Whenever I have won or used buy-it-now, I receive the products in about two weeks. They do ship products, just not sure whether they use bots.

NHappraiser
  • NHappraiser
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

I was wondering about the bot thing too.
Anybody know about this?
They are not even listed on Pennyauctiontraffic dot com. They are listed as 5440 in the traffic rank according to alexa, is that good? Paw was in the 11,000's.

Edited by NHappraiser, 31 March 2010 - 02:08 AM.
last line

Tweety1
  • Tweety1
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

BigDeals.com is a rip-off. Unlike other penny auction sites, they indicate that they are risk-free, because if you don't win, you'll still accrue "loyalty credits" that can be used to purchase the item at full retail. The "retail" prices are inflated, and what they don't tell you is that you don't get to redeem them dollar for dollar as they suggest. I spent $45, and found I could only save $5 on the item I wanted to buy. Their customer service rep blew me off. So, bad service, bad ethics, bad site. Beware!

Edited by PennyAuctionWatch, 20 May 2010 - 03:15 AM.

NHappraiser
  • NHappraiser
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

BigDeals.com is a rip-off. Unlike other penny auction sites, they indicate that they are risk-free, because if you don't win, you'll still accrue "loyalty credits" that can be used to purchase the item at full retail. The "retail" prices are inflated, and what they don't tell you is that you don't get to redeem them dollar for dollar as they suggest. I spent $45, and found I could only save $5 on the item I wanted to buy. Their customer service rep blew me off. So, bad service, bad ethics, bad site. Beware!

Here is direct copy/past from their site about the loyalty bucks program.
How do I use my "Loyalty Bucks"?

Cybersource Nov 04, 2009
We think "Loyalty Bucks" are one of the coolest features on BigDeal.com.
Every time you buy Bid Tokens on BigDeal.com, you get the equivalent amount of Loyalty Bucks. For example, if you buy $25 of Bid Tokens, you get $25 in Loyalty Bucks. Loyalty Bucks can only be used to get large discounts on popular items in our Rewards Store.
Here’s how it works: At any point, click the "Redeem Loyalty Bucks" link located under the orange "Buy Bids" button. You'll land in our Loyalty Rewards Store. Select an item that catches your eye. You'll be able to use your Loyalty Bucks to get the stated discount on that item. For example, with $25 in Loyalty Bucks, you can get a $100 item for about $75.
Here is a clever way to use your Loyalty Bucks: buy $25 in Bid Tokens then use your $25 in Loyalty Bucks to buy a $100 item for $75. You've spent $100 and you have a $100 item + $25 of Bid Tokens. Your Bid Tokens are basically free!

It seems to me that it is spelled out pretty clearly. It is very similar to most other sites. Check out Wavee dot com. Their program is similar to bigdeals.
As for your $45's spent, I find it hard to win anywhere with less than the full amount of bids to get to the bid to buy price. Many sites sell smaller bid packages and that is actually a way to get money in their bank because they are fairly confident that your money will be gone before you win anything. They will also get the same amount of bids from an opposing bidder. I have played on this site a few times. I won a Wii for about $50 or so but I had wasted more than that learning the site.
I wish you luck and hope you are not offended by this response.

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

I have tested BigDeal.com, as have many of our mystery shoppers, and I will tell you that I do not believe they have bad service, bad ethics or a bad site. In fact they are one of my favorite sites, I haven't been on there in awhile but I was able to get some deals and even when I didn't I was glad to be able to buy the item and not walk away totally empty handed. Also I haven't seen any retail prices that were inflated, can you point out an example? Next time be sure that you want to purchase the item if you spend more than want and check the buy it now price vs the current market prices before you bid. In fact most of them are either retail or fairly comparable with current market pricing. Please let us know what concerns you have.

How did the customer service rep "blow you off?"

Everyone else that has tried BigDeal is welcome to post about their experiences here!

Edited by PennyAuctionWatch, 20 May 2010 - 03:19 AM.

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

chubbyone
  • chubbyone
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I have used it and got very good deals. The mistake people make is to bid and hope to get an item at a low price and not be willing to pay full price. Be sure you are willing to pay their "retail" price or don't bid. I have bought $800 tvs (their retail was about $1100) for $150 and resale on eBay. You can sometimes get a good deal but don't count on it. They count on several bidders getting in on the action, thats where they make the big bucks. Two bidders may bid an item up to their "retail" then they have to "buy it now" and they're out of it and bidding resumes with other bidders. Their "Retail" price is usually inflated up to 25%. They sometimes sell one item several times during one auction at inflated "retail". My suggestion is if you dont need it or want it for yourself dont get it here. You can usually get it for a lot less on eBay. I hope what I have said makes some sense. I'm a gambler and usually have a little extra money to burn to try to get a good deal

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Anyone else bid on Bigdeal.com?

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

JKDBlake
  • JKDBlake
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

I love bigdeal. I don't always win but when I do I know my win will be delivered within a week or two. I also find that having all the information ie. the amount of bids a competitor has used and an idea of what the item has gone for over a significant period of time, is very useful and allows for more intelligent bidding.

BC1
  • BC1
  • Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Anyone else bid on Bigdeal.com?

Big deal is my favorite site, I've won 77 items there this year. I rarely see any of their users on PAW though.

CapitalistPig
  • CapitalistPig
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I just started over at Bigdeal.com, basically by default cause Haggle.com abruptly closed shop and all remaining bids were transferred to Bigdeal.

I find they have ALOT of good quality items up for auction 24/7. I like the amount of info they give you about how long a bidder has been on the auction, how many bids they placed and when they last placed a bid. All that info is handy when determining how far you want to go if you decide to get into the battle. The Buy It Now option is nice and i find most their retail prices to be fairly accurate.

I been there about a week now and have won about 5 items, haven't got any in the mail yet, but its been less than a full week, no worries.

Its best to find out EVERYTHING you can about a site or auction BEFORE entering. Their Loyalty program rules are clearly stated, i really don't understand what the problem is.

Happy Bidding

CapitalistPig

rotaryguy
  • rotaryguy
  • Members
  • 1,368 posts

wow FORTY DOLLARS for a 8gb iPod Nano?!?! that right there makes me not wanna bid.

LadyK
  • LadyK
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Something must be up when you register... All it asks for is your email and a password.
Once in the account it lets you change your NEWUSER# to a regular name but I went though not only my 2 names I use everywhere to almost over 25 names before it let me accept one as valid. My DOGS name was even considered invalid...

They let you input your birthday and address.... But there is NO way to enter your REAL NAME for shipping.... I've put in a email request to see what's up....

Will let you know what I find out... Site looks fine but will wait to hear back and watch a little before investing $$ to play and save...

BC1
  • BC1
  • Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

wow FORTY DOLLARS for a 8gb iPod Nano?!?! that right there makes me not wanna bid.

$37.50 in bids and $2.62 sale price. $40.12 total price. If that's a bad deal I may be using the wrong site.:S They retail for around $150. Maybe you were thinking of the iPod shuffle?

jets5000
  • jets5000
  • Members
  • 758 posts

Something must be up when you register... All it asks for is your email and a password.
Once in the account it lets you change your NEWUSER# to a regular name but I went though not only my 2 names I use everywhere to almost over 25 names before it let me accept one as valid. My DOGS name was even considered invalid...

They let you input your birthday and address.... But there is NO way to enter your REAL NAME for shipping.... I've put in a email request to see what's up....

Will let you know what I find out... Site looks fine but will wait to hear back and watch a little before investing $$ to play and save...

Ran into the same problem. Even tried using my dog's breed (shikoku) and it said it was not available.

$37.50 in bids and $2.62 sale price. $40.12 total price. If that's a bad deal I may be using the wrong site.:S They retail for around $150. Maybe you were thinking of the iPod shuffle?

Are you saying the total number of bids cost $37.50 or there were $37.50 (or 3750) bids placed? The two are totally different. The former would be reasonably priced and the latter would be outrageously expensive.

BC1
  • BC1
  • Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Are you saying the total number of bids cost $37.50 or there were $37.50 (or 3750) bids placed? The two are totally different. The former would be reasonably priced and the latter would be outrageously expensive.

The winner placed $37.50 in bids (50 bids) and paid $2.62 for winning the auction. There was a total of 262 bids placed by all that participated in the auction.

rotaryguy
  • rotaryguy
  • Members
  • 1,368 posts

oh wow i feel soooo ******ed! :-52-: :-52-: :-52-: I thought the ended price was $37 and the person spent $3 bucks in bids! my apologizes everyone. :-52-: :-52-: :-52-:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beware, bid deal, penny auction ethics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users