Started by cobidder , Mar 29 2010 12:46 AM
beware bid deal penny auction ethics

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

rotaryguy
  • rotaryguy
  • Members
  • 1,368 posts

is "r e t a r d e d" a bad word cause it edited it out...:S i mean if i was in pre-school that might be mean but im referencing myself and not someone else lol

BC1
  • BC1
  • Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

oh wow i feel soooo ******ed! :-52-: :-52-: :-52-: I thought the ended price was $37 and the person spent $3 bucks in bids! my apologizes everyone. :-52-: :-52-: :-52-:

It is kind of deceiving how they show how much items are won for in their winners list and its not to their benefit I would think.

BC1
  • BC1
  • Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

is "r e t a r d e d" a bad word cause it edited it out...:S i mean if i was in pre-school that might be mean but im referencing myself and not someone else lol

Must be a politically incorrect "bad word"? You obviously meant no harm.

IAlwaysBid2Win
  • IAlwaysBid2Win
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Both my roommate and I have preferred bigdeal as far as pas.
We both have done quite well.
But I am wondering if that is coming to an end.
This last month two of her items PS3 controllers came with no retail box.
Today an item was delivered with no mailing box at all, we did not even know this was possible.
Then she signed in to them and sent an email and the email ended up in my gmail?
Kind of watching to see what happens
Pat

BC1
  • BC1
  • Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Today an item was delivered with no mailing box at all, we did not even know this was possible.
Then she signed in to them and sent an email and the email ended up in my gmail?
Pat

The controllers sounds weird. Big deal usually has stuff drop shipped so they never even see the product, maybe a supplier problem. Usually big items like 32" or bigger TV's, big stereo systems, etc get shipped with the shipping label right on the retail packaging. No extra box. I have had at least ten things this year shipped to me that way. I kind of like the delivery company to know that they are carrying a 50" tv. That way it is less likely to be tossed around recklessly since they could be liable for the damages. Was it an over sized item?

BC1
  • BC1
  • Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Pat

The controllers sounds weird. Big deal usually has stuff drop shipped so they never even see the product, maybe a supplier problem. Usually big items like 32" or bigger TV's, big stereo systems, etc get shipped with the shipping label right on the retail packaging. No extra box. I have had at least ten things this year shipped to me that way. I kind of like the delivery company to know that they are carrying a 50" tv. That way it is less likely to be tossed around recklessly since they could be liable for the damages. Was it an over sized item?

IAlwaysBid2Win
  • IAlwaysBid2Win
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Hi ya BC
Yep I know you go for the TVs in fact you are one of the reasons that I don't. But I am or was thinking about going for one.
I can see your point. Customer service wrote me this morning and said that Sony had to pull the controllers since their supplier did not have any in stock, I wrote back and basically said this was not acceptable, they wrote back and said they would see what they could do.
As for the item with no outside packaging yes it was an oversized package but customer service said this was not normal and that they were going to contact their supplier, after reading your reply I am even more puzzled.
I am really hoping things work out. As I do not want to leave bigdeal they have been great up until now.
Have a good one and please be nice to me if I do go for a TV ok?:redface:

caveninit
  • caveninit
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts

Have a good one and please be nice to me if I do go for a TV ok?:redface:

be careful...comments like this are against forum rules...would hate to see ya get in trouble.

IAlwaysBid2Win
  • IAlwaysBid2Win
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

be careful...comments like this are against forum rules...would hate to see ya get in trouble.

Hi ya
OOPS very very very sorry, DUHH to me. I wasn't thinking.
Thanks soo much for correcting me.
Have a great one
Pat

letsplay
  • letsplay
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello All,

Bigdeal.com is legit as those above have mentioned...I am thier top #15th winner. Over 100 Items with almost 70% avg. savings. If anyone has questions for me I will be happy to help and answer :) I have been a member of PAW for a while, I just haven't checked the forum in a while...

IAlwaysBid2Win
  • IAlwaysBid2Win
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Hello All,

Bigdeal.com is legit as those above have mentioned...I am thier top #15th winner. Over 100 Items with almost 70% avg. savings. If anyone has questions for me I will be happy to help and answer :) I have been a member of PAW for a while, I just haven't checked the forum in a while...

Hi ya letsplay
Yep seen you around. You are right bigdeal is very legit I love the site, just was those 3 auctions out of lots that were messed up.
I did not mean to imply they were not legit and hope I did not come across that way. I love the site.

Windrider1967
  • Windrider1967
  • Members
  • 568 posts

I appreciate all the info on Bigdeals as this is one of the PAs I am looking to get my feet wet in. One thing that I DO like about them is if you look at the "closed auctions" it shows not the final bid price but the total paid including cost of bids used. Gives a MUCH better view of the actual costs - now of course some of these bidders may have discounted bids from bid pack auctions, but still - it more legitamate than some of the auctions that I have seen that show $2 win and don't take into account the $60 spent on bids for the win.

The only concern that I have is that as a new bidder I don't want to be seen as a "jumper" but it seems like there are several PBs that seem to dominate the bidding. For each item I seem to see the same bidders on each one, and I really don't know where the little guy fits in. I have been on unemployment for over 6 months and am really looking for a way to get some special items for my family, not make a fortune on resale right now.

thepenmaster
  • thepenmaster
  • Members
  • 772 posts

I appreciate all the info on Bigdeals as this is one of the PAs I am looking to get my feet wet in. One thing that I DO like about them is if you look at the "closed auctions" it shows not the final bid price but the total paid including cost of bids used. Gives a MUCH better view of the actual costs - now of course some of these bidders may have discounted bids from bid pack auctions, but still - it more legitamate than some of the auctions that I have seen that show $2 win and don't take into account the $60 spent on bids for the win.

The only concern that I have is that as a new bidder I don't want to be seen as a "jumper" but it seems like there are several PBs that seem to dominate the bidding. For each item I seem to see the same bidders on each one, and I really don't know where the little guy fits in. I have been on unemployment for over 6 months and am really looking for a way to get some special items for my family, not make a fortune on resale right now.

The best thing to do would be to research small and medium sized sites with reasonable win limits, figure out the best time to bid and against whom to bid by looking at closed auctions and actually watching the site and then have a go at bidding to get the items you want. You should be able to stretch your money fairly well this way. Good luck.

Windrider1967
  • Windrider1967
  • Members
  • 568 posts

Penmaster - thanks for the reply. That is exactally what I am in the process of doing now. Gotta wait a bit to get some money in yo get some bids, but in the meantime I am trying to assess the players, times etc .... Plus I am thinking of waiting until beginning of the year to let the after xmas rush die down a bit. Alot of above average ending prices compared to november and back.

BC1
  • BC1
  • Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

The only concern that I have is that as a new bidder I don't want to be seen as a "jumper" but it seems like there are several PBs that seem to dominate the bidding.

Most 100% BIN sites are full of jumping. It's part of normal strategy on sites like Bigdeal.com and Quibids.com. Big deal tells you when the BIN price becomes cheaper than continuing bidding and Quibids makes you stop when the BIN is cheaper than continuing. Some people wait for this to happen to jump in. Bigdeal shows you stats on the auction and with a calculator handy you can tell when a strong bidder is going to have to BIN (unless some of the bids were voucher bids that have no value towards BIN). I do not think you would get labeled as a jumper on either of these sites since it is pretty much expected. Jumping seems to be frowned upon a lot more on sites without BIN.

GoingGoingMine
  • GoingGoingMine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Bigdeal is legit but it's busy. The high end items can go for a while. I have won 4 times on small auctions and saved 80% average. You just need to commit to the auction. Some of the prices are above retail also so you need to research the item. Example: 64gb 3g wifi I pad is 899.99 and actual retail is $829.99.

op19
  • op19
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

One thing that I DO like about them is if you look at the "closed auctions" it shows not the final bid price but the total paid including cost of bids used. Gives a MUCH better view of the actual costs - now of course some of these bidders may have discounted bids from bid pack auctions, but still - it more legitamate than some of the auctions that I have seen that show $2 win and don't take into account the $60 spent on bids for the win.

I hate this about bigDeal. I don't care what the individual winner paid. I want to see in an instant the price the item went for, which equals the bidding actvity on the item. On BigDeal it says, for example, the winner paid $22. But the winner could have paid $22 by placing 1 bid after the item had been bid up to $21.25 = 2,125 bids.

NoBigDeal
  • NoBigDeal
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

What makes bigdeal unfair? There is a collusion team, they win all the big items and don't bid against each other, sometimes they go together on the same auction but just for cheating. Someone keeps bidding on 2-1 sec to get the confidence of others and other member of the team jumps and win easy with the "last second bidder" permission. Check the "win history" tab on the big items. Unfortunately BD doesn't do anything about it.

NoBigDeal
  • NoBigDeal
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Bigdeal used to be good, but right now the collusion team are dominating the site to win all the big items. What makes bigdeal unfair? There is a collusion team, they win all the big items and don't bid against each other, sometimes they go together on the same auction but just for cheating. Someone keeps bidding on 2-1 sec to get the confidence of others and other member of the team jumps and win easy with the "last second bidder" permission. Check the "win history" tab on the big items. Unfortunately BD doesn't do anything about it.

Zyekad
  • Zyekad
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

I play on BigDeal and have maxed my wins every month for around a year so I guess I would be considered a powerbidder there. A friend told me about the post from NoBigDeal and after reading it I wanted to reply in the sites defense.

It is a rough site and is very busy on the high dollar or popular items with at least one powerbidder in all those auctions. BigDeal listened and has finally put an individual item win limit in place which should help but there are still a lot of powerbidders all over the site. The best advice I could give anyone is the same that is offered all over PAW about every site. Look at the winners history if you plan on going for popular items and see who won them multiple times in the past then determine if you want to bid against whoever is in the current auction accordingly.

In regards to NoBigDeal's post I don't think there is collusion as much as there are families or small groups of friends that bid on the site. I have five members of my family that play there (not all in the same house or even the same state.) It wouldn't make sense for us to bid against each other so you never see me bidding against them. I also don't bid against anyone I consider a friend such as a PAW member I have chatted with on the boards or anyone I have spoken with or know otherwise. I don't consider choosing not to bid in an auction against someone I know or am related to collusion.

Since BigDeal went to the new design I have lost more than during the entire time I have been bidding on the site. So have family members that have told me they have the same thing happen because the clocks are horrible. I used to be able to click at 1-2 seconds all night without missing but now sometimes I click when I see 2 seconds and the auction can already be over and I lose. This causes misses at the worst times and is my only major complaint about the site and the only thing I can't defend BigDeal about because the clocks used to be the best in the PA industry and since around the time of the redesign suck badly.

I have also lost on purpose after bidding at 1-2 seconds for quite a while like NoBigDeal posted about. I do this when people are relying on my bid to save the auction but then bidding against me early every time I take the lead so I know I will never win. I also do this when the savings don't justify using the win slot or if an auction goes on too long and I have to leave. Usually the time I don't bid is strategic in regards to who will potentially win if I don't bid. It has nothing to do with collusion or teamplay and I have never lost to someone I know, but there has always been a reason for my timing. From my own observations not just on BigDeal but every other site it seems most successful bidders have very sound reasoning in their strategies and do think decisions through carefully. Rarely have I ever thought someone missing a bid had to do with collusion or teamplay, but more with their bidding strategy or it just being an accidental miss.

BigDeal is a good site if you watch for a long time and learn the site and its bidders. It is very crowded and there are a lot of powerbidders willing to go all the way. Like any PA site the best thing you can do is research the won auctions and decide who to stay away from and who to challenge if you want to win and get a good deal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beware, bid deal, penny auction ethics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users