charity auction low price nitrohawk

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

tnsko123
  • tnsko123
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

ya i like the site. won two gift cards with free bids and now the wii and have plenty of bids left over for a few more auctions woot and we know they will be around awhile cause they are making moneyyy! :cool:

Yes I saw ya tag that Wii before I could....nice win there. And Congrats to Going4itall on the Macy's win......What a battle!

rotaryguy
  • rotaryguy
  • Members
  • 1,368 posts

Yes I saw ya tag that Wii before I could....nice win there. And Congrats to Going4itall on the Macy's win......What a battle!

thank you very much! see ya on the battle field! :-33-:

tnsko123
  • tnsko123
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

ya i like the site. won two gift cards with free bids and now the wii and have plenty of bids left over for a few more auctions woot and we know they will be around awhile cause they are making moneyyy! :cool:

yes that could have been an expensive Wii lol. Sure hope this site continues to grow but without a bunch of jumpers! Only time will tell.

rotaryguy
  • rotaryguy
  • Members
  • 1,368 posts

sadly we love some of these sites and wanna keep em around but from what i have observed/ experienced in my short PA life thus far is that growth = jumpers. so it turns out to be a catch-22, we want the site and the owners to succeed and stick around cause the site is legit, but on the other hand we truly dont like it and will ultimately leave because of growth and the insane amounts of bids you have to drop to get items just to fend off jumpers. tis the life of a PA site/ bidder tho!

nitrohawk
  • nitrohawk
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Thank you for the kind words. I will be honest (as I always have been); building NitroHawk.com has been a lot of fun.

As a developer, it's always good to see people making use of the product you developed.

Speaking of developed, I'm all ears to hear about ideas you might have to prevent "jumpers".

Something we had thought of is creating an Auction Type of "Lock Down". Its where you would commit to an auction before the last 5 minutes. You would commit by placing a bid (just one) before the auction is "Locked Down". By committing, you are then enabled to bid the remaining 5 minutes of that auction.

Of course this wouldn't be on every auction, but on selected ones, similar to our Nitro Auctions.

What do you think?

tnsko123
  • tnsko123
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

That seems like an interesting twist and I think it might be good on the really high auctions. Give it a try on a couple and see how it works. Love your site Nitrohawk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scooby2003
  • Scooby2003
  • Members
  • 659 posts

This site is my favorite PA site! I have received some outstanding deals and really enjoy bidding on the site. The variety of gift cards and items they offer is increasing every day. They are very quick to respond to questions and lightning fast on their shipping! All my wins have been shipped, and I have received serveral as well.

Keep up the great work, Nitrohawk! Your customer service is outstanding!

Scooby

Scooby2003
  • Scooby2003
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Thank you for the kind words. I will be honest (as I always have been); building NitroHawk.com has been a lot of fun.

As a developer, it's always good to see people making use of the product you developed.

Speaking of developed, I'm all ears to hear about ideas you might have to prevent "jumpers".

Something we had thought of is creating an Auction Type of "Lock Down". Its where you would commit to an auction before the last 5 minutes. You would commit by placing a bid (just one) before the auction is "Locked Down". By committing, you are then enabled to bid the remaining 5 minutes of that auction.

Of course this wouldn't be on every auction, but on selected ones, similar to our Nitro Auctions.

What do you think?

I like the concept! It is very frustrating to place a lot of bids in an auction only to be "jumped" at the end!

Scooby

coolguy451
  • coolguy451
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts

What do you think?

I think I would rather see something like bargainsandfun does where it locks people out at different points of an auction based on if they have actually been participating throughout the auction. It is very frustrating, especially on a site without bid butlers to bid and bid, even past retail and finally getting to the point that you might win only to have someone new come in and cost you more bids when they hadn't been participating at all up to that point.

Momoftwo2380
  • Momoftwo2380
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

I think I would rather see something like bargainsandfun does where it locks people out at different points of an auction based on if they have actually been participating throughout the auction. It is very frustrating, especially on a site without bid butlers to bid and bid, even past retail and finally getting to the point that you might win only to have someone new come in and cost you more bids when they hadn't been participating at all up to that point.

I agree Coolguy! I had many of those and it is not funny at all... LOL!

SassyMe
SassyMe *heart*

LadyK
  • LadyK
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

yes that could have been an expensive Wii lol. Sure hope this site continues to grow but without a bunch of jumpers! Only time will tell.

OK.... Someone PLEASE explain JUMPERS to me.... I keep seeing people complain about this and I still don't get it.....

What the heck is a JUMPER.... I see Bid Buddys but I don't see any type of button for a JUMP or anything... What is it?

*huh*

tnsko123
  • tnsko123
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

A jumper is someone who doesnt bid at all on an auction until people have invested alot of time and money into the auction and then "jump" in out of nowhere to try to steal the win.

LadyK
  • LadyK
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Oh geez... thanks Tnsko.... LOL I've been looking for a darn button that says JUMP...
OMG... thanks for letting me know... I feel really stupid now.... LOL

rotaryguy
  • rotaryguy
  • Members
  • 1,368 posts

LOL I've been looking for a darn button that says JUMP...

:smilielol5: ladyk that has to be one of the funniest things I have heard someone say in awhile. :smilielol5: and dont feel stupid we all gotta learn some way some how. good luck! ;)

heres a whole thread about jumping: http://www.pennyauct...ng-jumping.html

SavvyAussie
  • SavvyAussie
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Was bidding on an Xbox tonight on Nitrohawk - and I seemed to win it. When it didn't turn up in my won auctions, I was puzzled. At the very end of the auction, another bidder came in with one letter slightly different from my bidding name: I am clembowski, and the other bidder was ciembowski.

The other bidder won with just a few bids. I didn't even realize what had happened until after the auction.

I wrote to the auction site and don't know what they'll say about it. Seems like blatant deception to me, but I'd like to know what other people think.

nitrohawk
  • nitrohawk
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

I can assure you that we are investigating the issue and will have a resolution within the next 24 hours.

That said, it will still be interesting to hear people's opinions, so let them rip.

coolguy451
  • coolguy451
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts

I can assure you that we are investigating the issue and will have a resolution within the next 24 hours.

That said, it will still be interesting to hear people's opinions, so let them rip.

As unfortunate as it is for clembowski (sorry :() I don't know what can be done unless your T & C specifically states you are not allowed to use names that look very similar to others (especially well-known bidders). I know I was fooled while watching the auction as I couldn't figure out how clembowski bid two times in a row.

If the auction does stand (and there were no other errors besides this deception) I hope this person is not able to change their username so that they can get what they deserve for manipulating bidders like that.

rotaryguy
  • rotaryguy
  • Members
  • 1,368 posts

Was bidding on an Xbox tonight on Nitrohawk - and I seemed to win it. When it didn't turn up in my won auctions, I was puzzled. At the very end of the auction, another bidder came in with one letter slightly different from my bidding name: I am clembowski, and the other bidder was ciembowski.

The other bidder won with just a few bids. I didn't even realize what had happened until after the auction.

I wrote to the auction site and don't know what they'll say about it. Seems like blatant deception to me, but I'd like to know what other people think.

oh wow. sorry to hear that! fooled me...i looked through the closed auctions and thought you won! :S

maybe this is a great opportunity for nitrohawk to lay down a "jumping policy" of some sort? i know you guy were entertaining the idea, if that idea were put into action im assuming this person would have been locked out cause they are a jumper?

in the mean time...idk be scared if i were the other bidder...LOL

tnsko123
  • tnsko123
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

As bad as I hate to say it, its all part of the game. I have tagged an item before and Clem, you have jumped in and cost me tons of bids before I had to give up as I knew you would keep going no matter what to win. Its no different that people who "jump" in toward the end to win or powerbidders that will lose money just to flex their muscles. Although it is ugly and unnecessary, its all part of this game in my humble opinion.

SavvyAussie
  • SavvyAussie
  • Members
  • 515 posts

This has happened to me on a couple of other sites, and here's how the owners handled it.

On a UK site that both coolguy and I bid on, the site owner first asked the other user to change his or her name. When that didn't happen, the site owner gave me an item the impersonator had won. (I actually didn't bid on any auction against the impersonator or even ask the site owner for a name change.)

In a second auction (on a completely different site) with the same situation - a change of one letter in the name - the owner voided the auction and judged it to be deception.

In a third case not involving me but with a similar one-letter change, I believe the owner voided the auction as well.

Bottom line: it seems site owners can handle the situation however they wish based on their judgment as to what is most fair to all bidders.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: charity auction, low price, nitrohawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users