gankit gankonomics

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

UltF
  • UltF
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

The site was/is experiencing some issues today. I either couldn't log in and/or it was freezing for me. According to the owners:

"We were a featured on the 10PM KHOU Houston News last night. This is caused a huge surge of traffic. We are currently working with Rackspace to get our site back up to speed. Thanks for your patience during this time!"

Here is the Houston news piece on them:
Saving green with Gankit: Houston entrepreneurs launch online auction site | khou.com | Houston News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | Technology

bigtimewin
  • bigtimewin
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I have a feeling this site might get a lot business sooner rather than later. I just saw a preview of a story for this site on my local news station here in Southern California (KCAL 9 @ 2pm) using their newly trademarked phrase Gankonomics.

Totally unrelated, but I used to work there. I don't think anyone watches. If they still have the kcbs affiliation, then it might get picked up by the CBS news service &go national. I don't think we're in trouble unless they start passing out free bids!

Thye really need more auctions if it's gonna take off!

UltF
  • UltF
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

^^ agreed. I want to see more auctions. I'm sure they have a decent plan, though, if they are getting news attention. :lurk5:

cemetery_gates
  • cemetery_gates
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

I noticed the site was experiencing big time issues the other day, that's why I didn't participate in the Xbox 360 auction. I also had a bad experience the other day when the page didn't reload and the auction ended for the iPod Shuffle I was bidding on the other day.

It figures that right when I purchase a bid pack they run an ad campaign. I've noticed that auctions are at a price point higher than what they've sold for in the past and the auction's still have hours left before they start! Oh well, the good side is there will be a lot of good "Gank" opportunities, the down side is there isn't going to be much to bid on and it may be overcrowded very quickly.

We'll have to see. Why do they run more auctions during the early afternoon and not towards the evening? It looks like a good site, but I'm not having any luck working the few auctions they have available into my schedule. I have a great deal of bids to part with if they'd ever run more auctions in the evening!

I'm done complaining for the day :)

Have a good one everyone,

CemeteryGates

UltF
  • UltF
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Oh well, the good side is there will be a lot of good "Gank" opportunities, the down side is there isn't going to be much to bid on and it may be overcrowded very quickly.

We'll have to see. Why do they run more auctions during the early afternoon and not towards the evening? It looks like a good site, but I'm not having any luck working the few auctions they have available into my schedule. I have a great deal of bids to part with if they'd ever run more auctions in the evening!

Watching the ganks is really fascinating. Funny that someone earlier said they trademarked "gankonomics". A couple times I've made the decision to pull the trigger but someone clicks before I can move the mouse over. Frustrating! Haha but that's the nature of the beast.

And I completely agree with the auction times! I have class every day 12:45 to 5 so I haven't been able to bid on anything these last few weeks. I think we just have to complain enough to convey the demand. That's how America works, right?

UltF
  • UltF
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Anyone else watching the craziness unfold? So much traffic I got a couple page errors. Some cheap ganks have been happening on the ipad auction. I raced on a couple but no luck. Looks like a server flub allowed two people to gank at $357.25 at the same time. Judge's ruling? Haha. If both people's screens indeed said the same dollar amount I hope they honor it.

startover4
  • startover4
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Watching the ganks is really fascinating. Funny that someone earlier said they trademarked "gankonomics". A couple times I've made the decision to pull the trigger but someone clicks before I can move the mouse over. Frustrating! Haha but that's the nature of the beast.

And I completely agree with the auction times! I have class every day 12:45 to 5 so I haven't been able to bid on anything these last few weeks. I think we just have to complain enough to convey the demand. That's how America works, right?

Agreed completely i need more afternoon auctions!!!

theGANKSTER
  • theGANKSTER
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

hey PAWERS, the iPads that got ganked at the same time and at the same GankIt price will be honored. this is a perfect example of "growing pains" but don't worry, we have the fix!

so... anyone dressing up as the gankster for halloween?

rotaryguy
  • rotaryguy
  • Members
  • 1,368 posts

so... anyone dressing up as the gankster for halloween?

howd you know!? i wanted it to be a surprise :smilielol5:

caveninit
  • caveninit
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts

I really wanted to Gank the Shuffle that got down below $5.00..you have to be REALLY quick to Gank!! My stupid wireless connection was not fast enough.:smilielol5:

startover4
  • startover4
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Cemetrygates... You are the luckiest man... ever

coolguy451
  • coolguy451
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts

Yeah, surprised it went through. It appears the site is having some massive growing pains.

cemetery_gates
  • cemetery_gates
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

I've got to thank my personal network connection which I just set up last night for not crashing!!!! I can't believe I got that lucky, I'm sure with all this crazy bidding madness there will be another hot deal soon. Good luck everyone!!!

$41.25 +$49.99 gank it fee = Heck of a deal!!!

Thanks gankit and to the people who introduced me to this site!

-CemeteryGates

UltF
  • UltF
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Seconded hahaha. That's nothing short of incredible. Congrats, CemeteryGates!

rotaryguy
  • rotaryguy
  • Members
  • 1,368 posts

congrats cemetery! im quite jealous of you! i kept clicking and clicking my interwebz are just to slow :(

rotaryguy
  • rotaryguy
  • Members
  • 1,368 posts

anyone else having a hard time getting back on the site?

coolguy451
  • coolguy451
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts

anyone else having a hard time getting back on the site?

Yeah I was having issues logging in, then loading the site but right now things seemed to have slowed down. Thats why I was surprised that cemetery was able to actually complete a transaction (congrats on the great gankit!).

rotaryguy
  • rotaryguy
  • Members
  • 1,368 posts

Yeah I was having issues logging in, then loading the site but right now things seemed to have slowed down. Thats why I was surprised that cemetery was able to actually complete a transaction (congrats on the great gankit!).

i think the combination of being on the news + ipad + million people trying to gankit = server overloaded?

caveninit
  • caveninit
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts

I've got to thank my personal network connection which I just set up last night for not crashing!!!! I can't believe I got that lucky, I'm sure with all this crazy bidding madness there will be another hot deal soon. Good luck everyone!!!

$41.25 +$49.99 gank it fee = Heck of a deal!!!

Thanks gankit and to the people who introduced me to this site!

-CemeteryGates

What an awesome deal!!! I'm really happy for you!! Jealous...but happy for ya!

Extraxxl
  • Extraxxl
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Nice Gank there my friend ;) that was an awsome deal!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gankit, gankonomics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users