Started by pugluv , Oct 24 2010 05:24 AM

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

pugluv
  • pugluv
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

My complaint is about the penny auction site XBids. One sleepless night, after reading an article on how to win, I decided to give a penny auction a shot. I had read that the trick was to play aggressively, so that you essentially outbid and scared off your opponents.

I was able to use the bid-buddy, that bid automatically for me. I purchased a package of bids. When I went to the site, I saw they had nothing to bid on. There were four \"prizes\" spaced hours apart for bidding. I wrote them a note asking for a refund, stating that I had planned on bidding at THAT particular time, not hours later. I got no response.

Two days later, I returned to the site and saw that there were more bids going on. So I decided to play with my existing bids. I entered into what appeared to be an exciting race for a Ipod Touch. About twelve people were betting at any particular time, but I stuck to my strategy. I bought more and more packets of bids. Finally, I was in a one-on-one race with another bidder. Then she dropped out. \"I\'m going to win!\", I thought.

Then the bidding timer froze! I watched and waited for about four minutes as my name was the only one listed, Then the clock started again and a new player \"Mohammed\" mysteriously entered the mix. Then other people with new names appeared. (I later learned from my research that the operators are able to \"stop the clock\" and control the bidding.

At that point, I had bid about half the value of the item. This site has a feature called \"buy it now\" where you can cut your gambling losses and simply buy the product. I hit the button. The computer asked for the payment of the remainder and my shipping address. I became concerned when I noticed the bidding was still going on for that item.

:mad:I checked my email, no message. I wrote Xbids again. No response. I checked my bank account, lot of money withdrawn, can\'t tell if final payment is included. Two days pass, no emails, write again, no response. No phone number listed.

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Hm, this is really concerning. I don't even see a business name on their site anywhere, yet they say they're located in Spear Tower, San Francisco and have been in business since 2005 until they recently changed to become a penny auction site. Have they responded yet?

I put their site in the WayBack Machine Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine, it looks like they were a search engine type site maybe back in 2008, with searches on UBid, Ebay, Auctions, Amazon, ebags, etc..
I'll see if I can find anything else out.

Edited by PennyAuctionWatch, 24 October 2010 - 06:39 PM.

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

According to the California Secretary of State, they are a registered LLC:

"Data is updated weekly and is current as of Friday, October 22, 2010. It is not a complete or certified record of the entity.

Entity Name: XBIDS, LLC
Entity Number: 201013410282
Date Filed: 05/12/2010
Jurisdiction: CALIFORNIA
Entity Address: ONE MARKET ST 36TH FL SPEAR TOWER
Entity City, State, Zip: SAN FRANCISCO CA 94105
Agent for Service of Process: CORPORATION SERVICE COMPANY WHICH WILL DO BUSINESS IN CALIFORNIA
Agent Address: AS CSC - LAWYERS INCORPORATING SERVICE, (C1592199)
Agent City, State, Zip: *"

Edited by PennyAuctionWatch, 24 October 2010 - 07:00 PM.

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Hmm. Read the terms & conditions...
on the bottom of this site, looks like it may be a marketer's site, but when I refreshed it went from saying one site on the bottom to another, not sure but maybe they're making many of these pages up for commissions and not changing the terms, but at first glance made it look like the site was associated with another.

helloroboto.info

Attached Files

Edited by PennyAuctionWatch, 24 October 2010 - 07:13 PM.

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

sadconsumer
  • sadconsumer
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Please continue your investigation for this website!
I was greatly disappointed when I realized that the clock for some items never really runs out. It is administratively controlled. After 2 bids and reading some of the information posted, I realized that this site adds 15 seconds after every bid before it closes out bidding. But it is hard to tell if their system stores bids or arbitrarily adds time to the clock.
I emailed and requested a refund. On their website under Returns and Refunds it guarantees refunds for unused bids. I read other complaints on web forums and discovered that Xbids, LLC has not refunded consumers' money upon requesting refunds on unused bids. I cancelled my credit card just in case they attempted to charge me again, and I plan on contesting the current charge with my credit card company unless I get a response from my email to xbids asking for a refund.
I also noticed that many of their contractual "click through terms" are very confusing and take advantage of consumers.
I would love to see this company in some legal hot water for these abusive practices.

williamxbids
  • williamxbids
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hello,
I am a customer support representitive for xBids, and I'm very sorry that our staff has not gotten back to you in a timely fashion. I would like to assure you that none of our auction timers are controlled by us, and the 15 second reset is so that every user has a fair chance at winning. This is typical on just about every penny auction website out there. Can you please message me your contact information and I will make sure that you are taken care of promptly.

MrBob111
  • MrBob111
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I just wanted to give another perspective from a penny member. This might be a bit long, so if you are not interested in the story just know that I have been successful at this site, but everyone should read the rules before buying bids. I was never forced to buy bids before starting the auction.

I belonged to another site a while back and actually thought I was going back to that site. I was discussing penny auctions with a friend and saw the marketing spam advertorial ( sorry, but that is what I think of it) and went to the site as they were promoting free bonus credits with sign up. when I saw the code was invalid, I went directly to the site to sign with out the promo link.

After signing up and realized this was not the site I previously belonged to because of the lack of items for auction. With that said I spent some time reading the site rules and just watching some of the auctions and then bought a bid package.

After watching things and understanding the sites concept, I played a bit. My biggest mistake was not understanding the daily limits. I won two small items and then had another bid sitting in que. when I went to go after the item I really wanted, I was maxed out for the day. This was really just a learning curve. As I watched the bidding and seeign the repeat bidders, it became quite an exciting event.

Yesterday, I actually won 3 auctions again, though missed out on a couple I wanted. The 15 second clock is very reasonable and reminds me of a 'Real' auction. It was very obvious and clearly in the site rules.

To those that feel they were misled or ripped off do need to understand this is not eBay and waiting for the last second to bid. It just prolongs the whole auction. With that said, I watched a 1200.00 D90 DSLR camera go for $5.52 and a PS3 for $11 and change. There is no rhyme or reason why some items get overbid and others slip through.

My one and only complaint is that the server's clock does glitch every now and then ( maybe what some said as the clock stopping), where I was outbid and saw the 15sec timer, then it froze and I lost, because the clock stopped and I could not press the bid button. The other item's time moved but not the one I was bidding on. Only happen twice when watching items and once when bidding on one, but is something the company should look into.

Sorry to ramble....

MrB

bryanrh
  • bryanrh
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Does anyone have a phone number to contact them. I really want them to have a chance to resolve the issue before I disclose to the public the issue I have with them. I firmly believe in being fair and not air bad press until all due dilligence has been completed.

Hig
  • Hig
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I can't get an email response. Anyone have another method of reaching them? williamxbids can you help?

williamxbids
  • williamxbids
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Yes, i can if you guys can provide me with email addresses since this board doesn't have PM's, I will contact you asap to get the issue resolved.

gmm
  • gmm
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Hello,
I am a customer support representitive for xBids, and I'm very sorry that our staff has not gotten back to you in a timely fashion. I would like to assure you that none of our auction timers are controlled by us, and the 15 second reset is so that every user has a fair chance at winning. This is typical on just about every penny auction website out there. Can you please message me your contact information and I will make sure that you are taken care of promptly.

What are you talking about ? You keep on extending the last 15 seconds to give every user a fair chance ? Then don't give a time limit for bids to start with. The last person who bids higher than the previous one should be the winner. You keep on extending time to keep people sucked in. You take 61 cents out of their credit card and most of the bidders run out of money bidding one cent higher than the last bidder but actually spending 61 cents on each bid.
Read all the complaints on google about your web site. If you advertise a cetain time limit for an auction then you must honor it oher wise you are making misleading and fraudulent statement.
Post the telephone number where you can be reached and the name of your CEO on this web site. I bet it will not happen

dahni2
  • dahni2
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

Williamxbids - What is your contact info? I just registered (paid $75.00) for bids and after some more intense reading have decided to close my account. I believe I had 121 unused bids...please confirm to me the amount creditted back to my card for the unused bids.

gmm
  • gmm
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

williamxbid is part of this scheme to post misleading information. You will not get a working telephone number or the address of this company or the name of the CEO. This seems to be just an internet site without any actual goods.
If you paid with a credit card you can dispute any charges with your credit card company and print and mail these complaints to your credit card ccompany. The credit card company will credit your account and if xbids wants to dispute this you can send all these complaints by other peoples and that this company has no telephone number to get in touch with any body and they have no address and no way to find out who is the owner of this company.The more people dispute these charges the sooner this scam site will shut down and will be sued by some attorney.

gmm
  • gmm
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

williamsxbids seems to have disappeared from this site.Dispute your charges with your credit card company and they will reverse the charges. Keep all these emails and the proof that they have no working telephone number and all their other illegal practices to back up your dispute. I did and my credit card company has reversed the $ 75 charge.The more people disput these charges the sooner these sites will shut down. Unfortunately they already have made millions from scamming. For example an item they claim was sold for $88.90 ( the winner did not get the item) the site made 8890 x 61cents = $5483.90.
The winner was told his winning has been cancelled. Their email always regurgitates the same message " your inquiry is deemed resolved" when will people realize that they have no actual goods to deliver.

Edited by gmm, 02 December 2010 - 03:55 PM.
misspelling

williamxbids
  • williamxbids
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I'm still here, I just got back from holiday vacation.

dahni2 i sent you an email, I will make sure your issue gets resolved.

Hig If you can supply me with your xbids username I will get in contact with you asap.

williamxbids
  • williamxbids
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

bryanrh I have also contacted you via email.

williamxbids
  • williamxbids
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

pugluv is you can provide me with your xbids username I will also get in contact with your asap. thanks

MattD
  • MattD
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I bought a bid package about a week ago for $75.00. I haven't bid on anything until this morning and I am not happy. I searched for a thread like this one, because multiple items I bid on had glitchy timers. I didn't pay that much money to be cheated out of any chance to win.

Williamxbids, if you can refund the money your company has stolen from me, then that would be great. I would prefer not having to deal with my lawyer and credit card company. I'm sure they'll find a way to get in touch with customer support.

x645547
  • x645547
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Williamxbids - What is your contact info? I just registered (paid $75.00) for bids and after some more intense reading have decided to close my account. I believe I had 121 unused bids...please confirm to me the amount creditted back to my card for the unused bids.

Williamxbids - I am in the same camp as dahni2. Signed up for a day and decided to close my account. I have ~140 unused bids and would like to be credited for the unused bids.

xBids username is the same x645547, my username for these forums.

gmm
  • gmm
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

williamx
I am still waiting for a working telephone number for this company. The address of this company and the name of the CEO. Also the first day I complained by email they asked for my telephone number so some one from xbids will call me back. It is one month already and I am still waiting for the call.
I would like the above information to be posted on this site. If not then you are part of this scam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users