Background Image

How Can I Provide You With More Helpful Info?

Started by PennyAuctionWatch , Nov 02 2010 02:46 AM

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

I just received an email from a reader stating that this site doesn't have helpful information, and hard to navigate, so I was wondering-- what should I do to provide you with more info and a better site? As soon as I am able to I will work on making the site more user friendly...

Thanks

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

AuctionJunky
  • AuctionJunky
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

I would assign moderators to move threads. Me being the "new guy" I find that you need to go into every catagory to find things such as "new sites" or reviews. People are notorius for hijacking threads here. It's not a bad thing to hijack if its informational but a mod would be able to take the hijack post and start a new thread. If you had extra help you could have a couple of your regulars move threads to there proper catagory.

BidShark started a good thread HERE but then it soon became a new site/review thread all in one. That causes people to have to go to multiple areas to track down user comments about a site.

BidShark had a great idea with this post. What would have been better was have the thread closed after his first post and BidShark would just go into his post and "edit" his list as he found more sites. So what would happen is a member would goto his post, click on a link of a site, check it out and start a thread or contribute to an already started thread about that site in the Reviews section.

I hope I didn't offend anyone ecspecially BidShark, I think he does a great job here. woot

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

I would assign moderators to move threads. Me being the "new guy" I find that you need to go into every catagory to find things such as "new sites" or reviews. People are notorius for hijacking threads here. It's not a bad thing to hijack if its informational but a mod would be able to take the hijack post and start a new thread. If you had extra help you could have a couple of your regulars move threads to there proper catagory.

BidShark started a good thread HERE but then it soon became a new site/review thread all in one. That causes people to have to go to multiple areas to track down user comments about a site.

BidShark had a great idea with this post. What would have been better was have the thread closed after his first post and BidShark would just go into his post and "edit" his list as he found more sites. So what would happen is a member would goto his post, click on a link of a site, check it out and start a thread or contribute to an already started thread about that site in the Reviews section.

I hope I didn't offend anyone ecspecially BidShark, I think he does a great job here. woot

Thanks for your suggestion. I actually never intended for there to be a list in a thread like that, but decided to let users try it and see how it went. I do agree with starting new threads just for the site names mentioned in that thread though and will do that soon.

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

jetranger
  • jetranger
  • Members
  • 696 posts

This is really clever and I like the idea a lot. I agree that BidShark did a wonderful job here. It would be cool if any of those sites not only linked to their web page but also linked to the thread where it is talked about at length. Now we would have clear lines to separate the list from the discussion of a particular site.

One thing I will say is I go into five different forums to find the stuff I want to read. As mentioned by AuctionJunkie, it is tough to know where to go to find the info you want. New sites in new sites section? Not always. Some people just don't stick to the topic headings and arbitrarily choose where they will put the new thread. While I don't mind pecking around, I imagine new people would have more of an issue since they will likely stick to the topic headings. AuctionJ made a good point about having Mods to do the dirty work.

Great job AJ. I just jumped on your bandwagon.

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Thanks, I can continue to do it. Unless I can find someone willing to help.

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

AuctionJunky
  • AuctionJunky
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

I would love to help but I think I need to put in a lot more time here first and pay my dues to the forum. Just from what I have seen so far you have a lot of very nice and helpful people here. It probably wont be that hard to get some volunteers. If you dont let me know and I would be glad to assist.

FallingReign
  • FallingReign
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Thanks Amanda for starting this thread. I have been thinking for a while about this and it seems like a brilliant idea.
Also Giving users the ability to edit their original post and append new information would work wonders. I have not started particular threads because of this reason.
Just like the aforementioned BidShark thread.

PS Amanda: You never got back to me about your logo issue, how are you coping?
Penny Auction Project Group!
Don't forget to Rep or Like if you find these posts helpful!

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Thanks Amanda for starting this thread. I have been thinking for a while about this and it seems like a brilliant idea.
Also Giving users the ability to edit their original post and append new information would work wonders. I have not started particular threads because of this reason.
Just like the aforementioned BidShark thread.

PS Amanda: You never got back to me about your logo issue, how are you coping?

Sorry about the delay in response, thanks for your offer to help I'll need help soon just haven't had the time to work on that yet. Tyvm :) I'll re-think letting users edit posts, it was removed because people were changing what they were saying, i.e. cheating sites, users, etc...

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Thanks AuctionJunky, let's see. There's a bunch of things I'd like to do to improve it here :)

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

AuctionJunky
  • AuctionJunky
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Thanks AuctionJunky, let's see. There's a bunch of things I'd like to do to improve it here :)

When I read this I thought of something my dad once said "Rob can brighten a room, just by leaving it." LOL

Anything I can do just let me know. I used to mod a forum long time ago.

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

When I read this I thought of something my dad once said "Rob can brighten a room, just by leaving it." LOL

Anything I can do just let me know. I used to mod a forum long time ago.

LOL what, don't think like that! Thanks!

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

FallingReign
  • FallingReign
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Sorry about the delay in response, thanks for your offer to help I'll need help soon just haven't had the time to work on that yet. Tyvm :) I'll re-think letting users edit posts, it was removed because people were changing what they were saying, i.e. cheating sites, users, etc...

Would be good if you couldn't edit more than 20% or something, or else only append to the edit.

AuctionJunky
  • AuctionJunky
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Would be good if you couldn't edit more than 20% or something, or else only append to the edit.

I don't know if that's an option. Usually you edit a post it will have a notation at the bottom saying "Post last edited xx/xx/xx @ 00:00"

FallingReign
  • FallingReign
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

I don't know if that's an option. Usually you edit a post it will have a notation at the bottom saying "Post last edited xx/xx/xx @ 00:00"

Yeah, its not an option, I'm just saying it would be good if their was.

neverwalks
  • neverwalks
  • Members
  • 1,571 posts

I would be inclined to agree with Amanda on the ability to edit a post. I have been a member on many forums over the years and have seen many users say things and then edit them to something completely different when challenged LOL. Even worse is the delete... sheesh I lost count of how many times users would say stuff and then completely remove their post. An open timed edit ability is almost as bad as delete because a user although maybe unable to completely remove a post could still potentially just delete everything within that post and just type "hello everyone" :smilielol5:

I personally like things just the way they are as far as editing goes... maybe a slight extension to the time allowed to edit... maybe 10 minutes or something? but unlimited :eek: not a good step in the right direction LOL.

I'm actually quite surprised that anyone has problems navigating the forum here on PAW and to say that there isn't helpful information here is absolute balderdash LOL.

Admittedly some threads could be merged as many questions are asked over and over, but then if users weren't so damn lazy and used the search function, then again, there shouldn't even be any need for that because the same questions wouldn't be asked in the first place LOL.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] :12: Bid Long and Prosper :12:

dt2
  • dt2
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Did you read my post here? http://www.pennyauct....html#post93762

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users