Background Image

GetAwayBids.com is LIVE - The First Travel Penny Auction Site!

Started by getawaybids , Jan 03 2011 05:10 PM

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

getawaybids
  • getawaybids
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Hello, from GetAwayBids.com which is the first travel penny auction site that offers vacation packages to Mexico, Caribbean, Las Vegas, Florida, and more.

All travel packages include airfare and hotel accommodations. Check us out and see all our vacations available.

GetAwayBids.com

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

Welcome to PAW

I really like your concept; however these are relatively higher end actions, so with all due respect it might help if you could answer a few questions for all the members here on PAW

1. I see you are located in Illinois (according to your T&C) however the State of IL shows no registered business under the name getawaybids.com can you explain.

2. Having some past insight into the travel industry you need to be licensed to sell travel Packages like this, are you licensed and if not what was your workaround on this. I realize this is a penny auction format but at the end of every auction is an item price to be paid and that constitutes a purchase so technically this is a sale.

3. With such high end items up for auction and the potential for a lot of money to be spent, your site provides NO contact information would you consider providing it for us (like owner name, business address, Phone, ASTA# if applicable)

4. The script you are using unfortunately has been used by several PA's that have taken our money and ran, and I have yet to see this script run without a lot of issues (not saying that it will) so with that said with such high end auctions what is your confidence level that it will function properly. I could be wrong but I belive this script has a bot auction is there any assurance that this would not be used if it exist

5. With all of the above concerns/questions I would like to know what your refund policy is on banked bids that are not used?

6. If one were to win any of your auctions and most are for 2 people what if you wanted to take your kids, is that an option (up-charge of course)?

[FONT="][FONT=Arial]Thanks you in advance for your answers personally I look forward to bidding on your site assuming everything checks out, please understand this is not a premature witch hunt however many if not most here at pay have been screwed by one or more PA's on the past so we simply have to be vigilant and we simply ask the legit PA's to be transparent. I assure you that by answering the above questions will definitly drive more traffic to your site[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Edited by realbidtowin, 03 January 2011 - 07:36 PM.

thisonesmine
  • thisonesmine
  • Members
  • 2,165 posts

And, BTW, I must add that you are not the first as you claim.

getawaybids
  • getawaybids
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Thanks for your questions and I'm happy to answer them for you.

Welcome to PAW

I really like your concept; however these are relatively higher end actions, so with all due respect it might help if you could answer a few questions for all the members here on PAW

1. I see you are located in Illinois (according to your T&C) however the State of IL shows no registered business under the name getawaybids.com can you explain. Our business name is registered as a LLC with DBA GetAwayBids.com which is registered in Iowa. We have physical locations in IA and IL.

2. Having some past insight into the travel industry you need to be licensed to sell travel Packages like this, are you licensed and if not what was your workaround on this. I realize this is a penny auction format but at the end of every auction is an item price to be paid and that constitutes a purchase so technically this is a sale.
We do book the travel packages with a licensed travel agent.

3. With such high end items up for auction and the potential for a lot of money to be spent, your site provides NO contact information would you consider providing it for us (like owner name, business address, Phone, ASTA# if applicable)
We are available for support 24/7 via email.

4. The script you are using unfortunately has been used by several PA's that have taken our money and ran, and I have yet to see this script run without a lot of issues (not saying that it will) so with that said with such high end auctions what is your confidence level that it will function properly. I could be wrong but I belive this script has a bot auction is there any assurance that this would not be used if it exist
We've tested the script thoroughly going through many hours of testing and debugging. Be assured it is not right out of the box with bugs. We don't use bots.

5. With all of the above concerns/questions I would like to know what your refund policy is on banked bids that are not used? Currently we do not offer any refunds.

6. If one were to win any of your auctions and most are for 2 people what if you wanted to take your kids, is that an option (up-charge of course)? Yes, we can accommodate that as listed in our "How it Works" section.

[FONT="][FONT=Arial]Thanks you in advance for your answers personally I look forward to bidding on your site assuming everything checks out, please understand this is not a premature witch hunt however many if not most here at pay have been screwed by one or more PA's on the past so we simply have to be vigilant and we simply ask the legit PA's to be transparent. I assure you that by answering the above questions will definitly drive more traffic to your site[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Can you please list them?

thisonesmine
  • thisonesmine
  • Members
  • 2,165 posts

Sure- OffAndAway.com, ItsyBid.com, and I believe there is another but can't remember? Perhaps Amanda can clarify.

I see that GAB offers airfare as well. That is different, I believe? I like that a LOT because what is the fun of winning if you still have to pay hundreds of dollars in airfare?

I love travel auction sites! Just saying you're not the first.

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

The first what? not sure what you are referring too...

eta420
  • eta420
  • Members
  • 523 posts

The first what? not sure what you are referring too...

BTW= by the way in this community BTW=lose your money you dig?

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

Sure- OffAndAway.com, ItsyBid.com, and I believe there is another but can't remember? Perhaps Amanda can clarify.

I see that GAB offers airfare as well. That is different, I believe? I like that a LOT because what is the fun of winning if you still have to pay hundreds of dollars in airfare?

I love travel auction sites! Just saying you're not the first.

I agree that is what makes this one a bit different, itsy & offandaway is good but hotel rooms only, then there was vacations4pennys which went under, there is also a old standard skyauction.com little different format though but reliable been around nearly 10 years. The trouble with travel auctions is they do not promote residual bidding, how many vacations can the average person take? We travel alot or atleast have the time too so this site peeks my interest.

thisonesmine
  • thisonesmine
  • Members
  • 2,165 posts

Oh, sorry Bid2Win. Yes, I meant "by the way". Thanks for clarifying, eta.

getawaybids
  • getawaybids
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Thanks for sharing those sites as I should of clarified ours is "complete" travel with air and hotel.

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

Thanks for your questions and I'm happy to answer them for you. Can you please list them?[/

Not sure how you want them listed as they already are. what you can do is go to the post select "reply with Quote" once you have the text box up select "go advance", then you can highlight the question and select the wrap icon at the top and that will preovide the quote then type your answer underneath each question. or just answer by question # in a seperate post.

Edited by realbidtowin, 03 January 2011 - 10:33 PM.

getawaybids
  • getawaybids
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Sorry, I replied to you directly after your questions in my post.

2Rich4U2Win
  • 2Rich4U2Win
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Quick question, if I want a certain trip can i request it or if I won a trip listed could you then apply the actual cost of what that trip would be to a different location. The big thing is that I want a trip to Disney World and I dont see one lol. I am sure there will be more auctions available, I am just impatient.

flostradamos
  • flostradamos
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Thanks for sharing those sites as I should of clarified ours is "complete" travel with air and hotel.

man oh man i hope this site is the real deal and no fishiness on it cause im diving in head first on this one i've been waiting for a site like this :) you got a customer for life if your sites legit :)

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

okay got a few questions, hate to be a sh*t head that always points out something not quite kosher but i gotta throw these questions out because i'm really wanting to bid on your site, but with such high dollar items, there are big bid packs that would have to be bought and i think other paw members will agree with me on this one theres some things missing on your site.

1st with such high dollar items where's your guys contact number? on the contact form i'm only able to send an email and there is no direct contact v.i.a address or phone number, but only through the site?

2nd in your T&C you list Online Web Ventures, LLC as your company i looked that up it shows that it was a company created in washington and was dissolved in 2001, i can't find any listings of that company doing business in illinois.

3rd thing is your domain name, i did who is searches on several different sites and you have a who is guard on, that you paid for to hide the identity of your site?

only reason why i bring these points up is because if im going buy a butt load of bids on your site i would at least like a phone number where i can contact someone, an address for the place of business so i could verify it, and with both the phone number and address then i could verify the business and see if the business is at least listed with the BBB or if not how long its been around and who and where the people im giving my money to are.

cause honestly certain bidders on this site buy 50% + retail in amounts of bids before they go into a specific auction, with some of your auctions hitting the 2k + mark, you really expect people to just hand over that much money to someone they have absolutely no information on, and can't get any information on?

just food for thought hope a reply comes back before your auctions go live :)

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

damit i need to start reading previous posts but yea what realbidtowin said in some of his questions above
My mom got in an argument at the car wash other lady said "get out of my face i don't know you" my mom said "google me b%tch" rofl she's 65 LOL

getawaybids
  • getawaybids
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Quick question, if I want a certain trip can i request it or if I won a trip listed could you then apply the actual cost of what that trip would be to a different location. The big thing is that I want a trip to Disney World and I dont see one lol. I am sure there will be more auctions available, I am just impatient.

Yes, we will accommodate trip changes as long as any difference in price for the airfare, hotel, etc. will be paid by the winning bidder.

We will be adding more auctions as you said in the future to places like Disney World, but in the meantime, we will accommodate your changes.

fields23
  • fields23
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

flostradamos--------
2nd in your T&C you list Online Web Ventures, LLC as your company i looked that up it shows that it was a company created in washington and was dissolved in 2001, i can't find any listings of that company doing business in illinois.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Where can you find this information at? Is there a certain website that you put in a company name and it tells you everything about them?

"America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people." President George W. Bush

:patriot:

wyzguy88
  • wyzguy88
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

I love how he responded but totally neglected florsta's comments...

SuzieQ
  • SuzieQ
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Yikes.. all of the questions should be easy to answer if you're legit.

getawaybids
  • getawaybids
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Most of those questions were already answered in this thread above, and it was recognized by the florsta.

"Where can you find this information at? Is there a certain website that you put in a company name and it tells you everything about them?"

Our company is registered in Iowa and I'm not aware of any site that shows what your asking, but perhaps others might.

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

Getawaybids, please understand with all these questions it is simply because you will be in trust with our moneys and becasue these are high end auctions this requires more due-dilligence on our behalf. This is not like winning a macbook that after you win it ships out the next week, vacations are most often booked out well in advance and there are many horror stories out there of Travel companies going out of business and leaving the customer screwed. Considering that you offer airfare as well as accomodations you have no control over your cost to me that spells disaster in any business model when you are essentially collecting funds in advance.

Anyway you seem to be avoiding the real questions especially the ones about who you are, This seems very shady, I asked about your company and you say that you are an llc but getawaybids is only a DBA what is the Legal Name and address of your business. Since you operate out of two states you must have a Foriegn corp in one of them? However, Flos did some homework and there was no record of you, whats up with that? Once again I also asked about your licensing to sell travel which is required, you cannot advertise and sell travel without the licensing, you admit that you do not have this and that you will use a travel agent out side of your company, unfortunatly the company selling the travel is required to be liscensed and bonded.

Personally based upon your responses or lack there of I would not touch this site the timeline is too far out to actually collect the prize thus too much risk of them dissapearing especially since they clearly will not provide business details and contact info.

Edited by realbidtowin, 14 January 2011 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users