what i would love to see

Started by rexter65 , Jan 15 2011 03:43 PM

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

rexter65
  • rexter65
  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

i would love to see a new site when you you sign up ask you what forum you belong to and send them a email checking your info to to make sure your not stealing someone name that has a good rep. as we all have seen this week and months past it is getting bad so its a win win for the site and the forums.the forums user base goes up and the site finds out if they have the real deal if they go and buy a bunch of bid packs and will help put scammers out of there game and give more peace of mind to bidders *heart*

Windrider1967
  • Windrider1967
  • Members
  • 568 posts

If there was a logistical way to make this work it would be great. The issue I see is that with many different forums out there it would be difficult to coordinate. As well many sites have privacy policies that would make this questionable. And while I admit that most heavy hitters belong to at least one forum, it is not required to bid and would in effect make the forum owners clearing houses for bidders info. I would love to know that the "rexter65" I am bidding against is actually YOU I don't know how this could work in real world

rexter65
  • rexter65
  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

it simple the site email the ip to the forum and they check email them back if it checks out there good to post the name they want.its more work but its shows everybody they can trust what going on because with each passing week i am wanting to put less into sites accept the one i trust that have a good track record

Edited by rexter65, 15 January 2011 - 04:20 PM.

triggertre
  • triggertre
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

it simple the site email the ip to the forum and they check email them back if it checks out there good to post the name they want

Not that simple IP changes regularly. My power went out about an hour ago, just long enough for my router to turn off. When it came back up my IP was different.

IP's are not a sure fire way to be sure that a user is a user lol.

Windrider1967
  • Windrider1967
  • Members
  • 568 posts

Not that simple IP changes regularly. My power went out about an hour ago, just long enough for my router to turn off. When it came back up my IP was different.

IP's are not a sure fire way to be sure that a user is a user lol.

Also you have users who may be on a shared system - like college students or folks who may use their computer at home, work and at a wifi hot spot. IP is not a surefire identifier like a lot of ppl think it is. There are too many variations. Email would be the only true identifier.

rexter65
  • rexter65
  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

ok they email the forum the forum can email the real person like amanda ask the realbidtowin he said no he is not on bidwat so if i want to join a site instead of them checking my email . most big bidders have been with forums a long time so that would be simple hey youtrying tojoin thissite yes or no.and ok dont no much about computers but there has to be a way of checking alittle better then just getting aemail saying ya thats my email

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

If there was a logistical way to make this work it would be great. The issue I see is that with many different forums out there it would be difficult to coordinate. As well many sites have privacy policies that would make this questionable. And while I admit that most heavy hitters belong to at least one forum, it is not required to bid and would in effect make the forum owners clearing houses for bidders info. I would love to know that the "rexter65" I am bidding against is actually YOU I don't know how this could work in real world

hey wind if im out bidding on a site im out here to so if you ever want to no if its me just ask

Windrider1967
  • Windrider1967
  • Members
  • 568 posts

hey wind if im out bidding on a site im out here to so if you ever want to no if its me just ask

LOL - I just watch the bidding patterns ... but yea if I ever have a question about who I am bidding against I will definatly ask.:wink:

And if nothing else I may not have a "kick butt" user name - but it is definatly unique enough that the odds of it being in use on a site - not by me is less likely

BIGGGLE
  • BIGGGLE
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

User names are interesting...they help establish a reputation...but then the reputation can be used by others?

I am sure I am not the first owner to think about assigning usernames each time you log in? Thoughts?
Open Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday Nights
www.bigggle.com
support@bigggle.com

fields23
  • fields23
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Why not just make all auctions "blind" auctions and only show the real username once they win and auction is over? This way, there is no way for ones "reputation" being at risk.

"America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people." President George W. Bush

:patriot:

thisonesmine
  • thisonesmine
  • Members
  • 2,165 posts

Why not just make all auctions "blind" auctions and only show the real username once they win and auction is over? This way, there is no way for ones "reputation" being at risk.

BidCity does that. Nailbidder does that on some auctions.

Most of the time, it deters people from bidding because everyone assumes they will be bidding against a PB.

Windrider1967
  • Windrider1967
  • Members
  • 568 posts

BidCity does that. Nailbidder does that on some auctions.

Most of the time, it deters people from bidding because everyone assumes they will be bidding against a PB.

After getting my butt handed to me bad on my FIRST blind auction (against a bidder I NEVER would have gone up against knowingly) I can second TOMs statement on blind auctions. I know I won't be doing them anymore. It is onething to go in planning on spending retail when you can see who you are up against - another when you can't see that the bidder is one that will take it to 2x-3x retail.

rexter65
  • rexter65
  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

i did it and a couple time i found out it was clem and jetranger and vib and couple other names and it cost alot lol i want to no who i am going agianst

nixnutz7897
  • nixnutz7897
  • Members
  • 627 posts

User names are interesting...they help establish a reputation...but then the reputation can be used by others?

I am sure I am not the first owner to think about assigning usernames each time you log in? Thoughts?

LuckyBossBids did that...they're not running auctions right now. Might want to consult them to see what impact it had on their site. I've still got bids there and when they went to "Bossxxxx" userid's (the "xxxx" is a number assigned to each bidder), I didn't go back. Not sure if they'll ever re-open...

silence4me
  • silence4me
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

One problem I have with assigned names is I forget the name! I was always trying to log into LuckyBoss with my regular bidding name & password only to get a message the "log-in was invalid". I would try again thinking the password was mis-typed. I would finally press the "forgot password" button and wait for the email, only then to be reminded of the Boss### name. It was a pain! Not an issue you want to deal with when in a hurry to sign in for an auction.

CentWar
  • CentWar
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

How about no names just numbers ? That would make a level playing field like a real auction .

nixnutz7897
  • nixnutz7897
  • Members
  • 627 posts

How about no names just numbers ? That would make a level playing field like a real auction .

I think what S4M was saying was that you should still be able to pick your userid and log in with it. Don't assign userids, be they #'s or a combination of letterns & numbers. They're too easily forgotten, which makes for login problems.

I'm not a big fan of bind auctions...that's just the opinion of one person tho.

Guest_LOVERBABY_*
  • Guests

Hi Dear
so nice to say,
i am new person in this forum , i want to search friends because friendship is a wonder full experience in the world but you do not know,,] Fun Diaries ORC Studio
]Stop Smoking

Edited by PennyAuctionWatch, 28 January 2011 - 06:26 PM.
links removed

flostradamos
  • flostradamos
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

I think what S4M was saying was that you should still be able to pick your userid and log in with it. Don't assign userids, be they #'s or a combination of letterns & numbers. They're too easily forgotten, which makes for login problems.

I'm not a big fan of bind auctions...that's just the opinion of one person tho.

almost every site i have seen that had blind auctions or where full blind auctions have taken large losses or have shut down, the benefit of it is that you have no idea who your bidding against so there really is no such thing as auction marking in that sense. On the other hand the fact of not knowing who your bidding against if you see an aggressive pattern or maybe a you think you see a powerbidder bidding pattern you might be scared off and not bid against them because you think it is a powerbidder and some auctions reveal the names after words and some just leave it as is but blind auctions end up going for alot cheaper than regular auctions because people don't want to participate in them.

a recent site that i have seen that suffered these problems was bullionbuyz.com i don't know if thats why they shut down or not but i do know that everything that they where selling in the blind auctions was going for almost 99% and most people won these blind auctions with free sign up bids.
My mom got in an argument at the car wash other lady said "get out of my face i don't know you" my mom said "google me b%tch" rofl she's 65 LOL

jetranger
  • jetranger
  • Members
  • 696 posts

i did it and a couple time i found out it was clem and jetranger and vib and couple other names and it cost alot lol i want to no who i am going agianst

It is no picnic finding rex and vibb and various other names like cg and nw behind the curtains. That one site sure was fun even though we had about 100 battles rex...

I am not sure there is a way to do what you were originally requesting. If we made a true depository for names linked to some information that could be checked. But, the issue is getting everyone there first and who the first person to signup to that depository could claim to be the real one. It would be a lot of work to actually go to different sites to confirm.

jassaal
  • jassaal
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

All members loves with me because love is life but are you know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users