Started by rexter65 , Jan 15 2011 03:43 PM

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

bidbull
  • bidbull
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

What a great forum. As a new PA site opening, suggestions like these are very important. However I would agree with the previous statement about privacy. One of the keys to any successful business is transperancy, honesty and respect of privacy. I would take it as a compliment if your "username" is being used by a phony, but unfortunately unless it is tm it is fair game. Just make sure you make a better one and kick their asses to give them a reminder of the Real "username" . Happy Bidding!

lukescooto
  • lukescooto
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Im still unclear about one thing, and maybe its just my noobishness, but why would someone bid 2x or 3x's the retail price of something? Why not just go and buy it at 1x retail at the store? Am I being TOO noobish with that question? Lol.

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Im still unclear about one thing, and maybe its just my noobishness, but why would someone bid 2x or 3x's the retail price of something? Why not just go and buy it at 1x retail at the store? Am I being TOO noobish with that question? Lol.

Great question! It has to do with economics & sunk cost. Sunk costs are sums that have already been spent and can't be recovered. Let's say I am bidding and I spent $150 on a $175 valued item-- in most cases I'll bid $250 and get the item and lose $75 before I'll lose $150, etc... This may seem irrational but sometimes it's not.

See also:
Not All Penny Auctions Are Scams: Let’s Set the Record Straight | Penny Auction Watch
An All-Pay Auction in Practice | Penny Auction Watch
Penny Auction Bidding: Bid to Bid or Bid to Win? | Penny Auction Watch
Hope these help!

Edited by PennyAuctionWatch, 22 February 2011 - 01:15 AM.

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Also: Penny Auctions: The War of Attrition in Practice | Penny Auction Watch
Studies on Penny Auctions | Penny Auction Watch
Stay On Top | Penny Auction Watch
Penny Auctions a Mix of Game Theory and Psychology | Penny Auction Watch
Is There an Effective Strategy to Winning Penny Auctions? | Penny Auction Watch

There's lots more in the forum & on the blog too. Let us know if you have any questions. Always remember to keep track of what you're spending!

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

blockedhen
  • blockedhen
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

i would love to see a new site when you you sign up ask you what forum you belong to and send them a email checking your info to to make sure your not stealing someone name that has a good rep. as we all have seen this week and months past it is getting bad so its a win win for the site and the forums.the forums user base goes up and the site finds out if they have the real deal if they go and buy a bunch of bid packs and will help put scammers out of there game and give more peace of mind to bidders *heart*

im hoping amanda will agree to this

At the moment im working on a site that im sure will put a lot of sites to shame, heres the answer to everyone in regards to people stealing someones elses nick. first i would ask for the nicks of all paw members from amanda, then when people signs up i would cross reference with the list then i would post in here asking if that person has signed up, i could double check against email address also.

coolguy451
  • coolguy451
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts

I must have missed this thread. I actually don't think anyone owns their bidding name and part of what makes PA's entertaining is signing up for a new site and trying to figure out who is who with regards to the name they chose (and if their bidding patterns match those of that name from other sites).

In my opinion, a site is signing their own death wish if they implement a system similar to the ones suggested in this thread. All this system would accomplish is help secure many more easy wins for those who are established, while scaring off any new customers before they even sign up.

blockedhen
  • blockedhen
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I must have missed this thread. I actually don't think anyone owns their bidding name and part of what makes PA's entertaining is signing up for a new site and trying to figure out who is who with regards to the name they chose (and if their bidding patterns match those of that name from other sites).

In my opinion, a site is signing their own death wish if they implement a system similar to the ones suggested in this thread. All this system would accomplish is help secure many more easy wins for those who are established, while scaring off any new customers before they even sign up.

coolguy, the thread is not about being a pb, but about ruining someones reputation by using their names on another site.
for example i could go sign up on any site using coolguy451 and slamming your name to the ground,with some ideas implemented, it could cut down on reputations being maliciously ruined not as a power bidder but ruined as a person

TyWin7
  • TyWin7
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • 921 posts

Wow blockedhen surprising as i did not get that from what he was saying.....If someone steals your name BIG DEAL.......It happens and there is nothing we can do about it......Your talking about a virtual reputation wow and where are you heading with this......A powerbidder can let there name get so called tarnished and GUESS what they will still win alot of auctions.....Who cares.......IMHO
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!!!:iamwithstupid:

BucknBuff
  • BucknBuff
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I started reading this post thinking what a great idea. Than I remembered think before you post so I did. I don't think it is such a great idea.

Would you sit down to a poker table with Hellmuth, Negraneau, Ivey, Fergusson etc.....?
Would you sit at that same table if they had 10 times your chipstack?
What if you found out their names were Fred Hellmuth, David Negraneau, Beverly Ivey, Bubba Fergusson?
If there were such a data base or site with all of your names on it? It would detract from the game.
If I see blockedhen plays on A-R sites and is a PB has won 2000 auctions pays 2x retail. Whenever I see blocked hen bidding i won't bid. So all of the newbies and small fish go to sites where they can win. All the big fish end up competing for the same food. You don't get the deals you want and PAs don't make the money they want.

So some idiot steals your name and gets a good deal. It doesn't rash your rep any. Even if they make a stupid play all any of y'all are going to say is blockedhen had a brain fart.
Blockedhen I used your name in this post cause you were the last one for the idea.

TYWIN7 GO POKES

lvgilmour
  • lvgilmour
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

BucknBuff-from a fellow Tulsan, I wish you the best in your new business venture.

BucknBuff
  • BucknBuff
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Thanks and THUNDER UP
Danny Buckner
SRVP/Site Control:11:
Bucknbuff@XLBIDS.COM

candy
  • candy
  • Members
  • 2,195 posts

I agree that bidder names should not be assigned or masked. If someone is seriously concerned about their reputation/bidder name, copyright it. I just don't think it is a PA owners responsibility to make sure no one copies a bidder's name. Maybe individuals could e-mail the Pa's where their bidder name has been taken & ask the owner if he will request they change their name??

I don't think Blind Auctions are the solution either, although I have played & won & played and lost in these type auctions.

Sometimes it is rather fun watching the fakes come out to play & seeing them go head to head with the real one :smilielol5:

Doofard Auctions
  • Doofard Auctions
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I agree that bidder names should not be assigned or masked. If someone is seriously concerned about their reputation/bidder name, copyright it. I just don't think it is a PA owners responsibility to make sure no one copies a bidder's name. Maybe individuals could e-mail the Pa's where their bidder name has been taken & ask the owner if he will request they change their name??

I don't think Blind Auctions are the solution either, although I have played & won & played and lost in these type auctions.

Sometimes it is rather fun watching the fakes come out to play & seeing them go head to head with the real one :smilielol5:

How about someone does auctions where the "fake" and "creator" of the ID battle it out. Whoever wins gets the right to the name on that site...

bclair
  • bclair
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

How about no names just numbers ? That would make a level playing field like a real auction .

I personally would forget a number and its more difficult to remember the people I'm playing against. Its not a common practice on any web site to provide a number as a username so people would probably start using their phone numbers or soc sec number in fear that they might forget their ID because as already mention who wants to take the time to click "forgot user ID or password" and wait for an email to logon.

Just1Penny
  • Just1Penny
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

I started reading this post thinking what a great idea. Than I remembered think before you post so I did. I don't think it is such a great idea.

Would you sit down to a poker table with Hellmuth, Negraneau, Ivey, Fergusson etc.....?
Would you sit at that same table if they had 10 times your chipstack?
What if you found out their names were Fred Hellmuth, David Negraneau, Beverly Ivey, Bubba Fergusson?
If there were such a data base or site with all of your names on it? It would detract from the game.
If I see blockedhen plays on A-R sites and is a PB has won 2000 auctions pays 2x retail. Whenever I see blocked hen bidding i won't bid. So all of the newbies and small fish go to sites where they can win. All the big fish end up competing for the same food. You don't get the deals you want and PAs don't make the money they want.

So some idiot steals your name and gets a good deal. It doesn't rash your rep any. Even if they make a stupid play all any of y'all are going to say is blockedhen had a brain fart.
Blockedhen I used your name in this post cause you were the last one for the idea.

TYWIN7 GO POKES

LOL, like how you integrated the poker pros. i would have to agree with you on this whole statement. yes, certain bidders work hard and spend countless dollars to establish thier name, but they will only bid against the real bidder once when you go 3X retail price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users