Background Image

Im posting a copy of a Swoopo auction, you decide for yourself....

Started by lukescooto , Mar 09 2011 05:09 AM
apple auctions ipad penny swoopo

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

lukescooto
  • lukescooto
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

:S Im going to just post a quick copy of an auction from Swoopo.com that ended on Feb 24th for a 64GB Ipad. Keep in mind also that this isnt the Ipad 2, its the original version. I wont say anything besides what im about to post, you draw your own conclusions.....

Chairman7 won with 1864 Bids
and saved 0% !

Savings:Price:$799.99Placed bids (1864):$1,118.40FreeBids (0):$0.00Auction Price:$93.92Savings:$0.00

lukescooto
  • lukescooto
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

I can probably get a screenshot if anyone wants and doesnt believe what I posted above...

chibrook
  • chibrook
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Do you think people won't believe that? I've seen much worse. How about this one . . . Cheap Apple iPad | Penny auction - #1004199

I'm speechless . . .

lukescooto
  • lukescooto
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Well it just makes you wonder thats all. At least the one I posted makes SOME sense, lol. The one you posted has me tripple baffled, and ill explained all three...

1st baffling.) How does the below math make sense on any level?

The winner, notgonnastop, used 7380 bids, which cost $4587.81.
MSRP Price:$499.00
Current Price:$170.19
USA S&H*:$9.98
TOTAL: $180.17

You're Saving: 99%

*If the price is $500, and the winning bidder got it for $170.19, how is that saving 99%? No seriously, how is that saving 99%?

2nd Baffling) Why would someone purchase 7,380 bids, for a total of $4587, and then use them all to win an item valued at $500? I understand that SOME of those are promo/free bids, but not all.

3rd Baffling) A ultra bid package, which is 800 bids, cost $500. Why not just take your $500 and purchase the ipad in a store? Then you get your own receipt, you can return it if theres problems, to the store you bought it from, you can try it out in the store, etc etc.

Very strange. I just reviewed a couple gift card auctions from that same site. I couldnt see why so many bids were used for items that cost only a little more then the price of the purchased bids. It seems that a majority of the auctions there go for more then I normally see on other sites. But ive bid against notgonnastop on a few different sites, and i know him on facebook, hes a real person. Unless someone used his name on that site and thats not the real notgonnastop.

Both of our auctions have me very baffled. The only reason I could see either auction going as high as they did, is if the winning bidder gets all his bids back. Then I can understand mine, but yours, spending $4,500? Thats a tough one to wrap my head around sorry.

lakers24
  • lakers24
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

As notgonnastop quoted on FaceBook, (I asked the same thing, lol) reputation. :cool:

rexter65
  • rexter65
  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

Well it just makes you wonder thats all. At least the one I posted makes SOME sense, lol. The one you posted has me tripple baffled, and ill explained all three...

1st baffling.) How does the below math make sense on any level?

The winner, notgonnastop, used 7380 bids, which cost $4587.81.
MSRP Price:$499.00
Current Price:$170.19
USA S&H*:$9.98
TOTAL: $180.17

You're Saving: 99%

*If the price is $500, and the winning bidder got it for $170.19, how is that saving 99%? No seriously, how is that saving 99%?

2nd Baffling) Why would someone purchase 7,380 bids, for a total of $4587, and then use them all to win an item valued at $500? I understand that SOME of those are promo/free bids, but not all.

3rd Baffling) A ultra bid package, which is 800 bids, cost $500. Why not just take your $500 and purchase the ipad in a store? Then you get your own receipt, you can return it if theres problems, to the store you bought it from, you can try it out in the store, etc etc.

Very strange. I just reviewed a couple gift card auctions from that same site. I couldnt see why so many bids were used for items that cost only a little more then the price of the purchased bids. It seems that a majority of the auctions there go for more then I normally see on other sites. But ive bid against notgonnastop on a few different sites, and i know him on facebook, hes a real person. Unless someone used his name on that site and thats not the real notgonnastop.

Both of our auctions have me very baffled. The only reason I could see either auction going as high as they did, is if the winning bidder gets all his bids back. Then I can understand mine, but yours, spending $4,500? Thats a tough one to wrap my head around sorry.

i have only seen you on here for a couple of weeks so you have not been doing this that long . start google bidders names and you will find out that it goes on alot more then you think . this way you can see just how far that bidder is willing to go and if you think you can take them down but you will not get a deal on it and pay way over retail and look in a closed section of a auction if you see the same name getting things cheap there is a reason you can bid agianst who ever you like but it is about getting the best deal for cheap

lukescooto
  • lukescooto
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Well I dont know where I said ive been doing anything "that long". But, I can tell you one thing, ive been using penny auctions alot longer then ive been posting here on these forums. And to be honest, now that I see theres censoring going on here, I doubt ill be posting much more anyways. Didnt take long.
As far as notgonnastop paying $4500+ for a $500, im sorry, thats not about "reputation", theres something going on there. What I have no idea, but no person in thier right mind pays $4500 to win a $500, it just doesnt add up. And its not like someone seen his name and just stopped bidding. He still paid $170 in the auction itself. The newer bidders have no clue about him, so the "reputation" excuse doesnt float with me.

BigHumpDaddy
  • BigHumpDaddy
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Yeah, I've tried to use PA's as a way to get some good deals, not establish a reputation - but that is just me. Spending 4500 on a 500 item, to me it doesn't make much sense because I don't have that kind of disposable dollars, to those who want to be feared in the PA world and have disposable income, it makes total sense (I guess).

I guess it comes down to the fact that it is their money, and they can do what they want with it.

Personally, I am more than happy to receive a 10-25 dollar gift card, and greatly rejoice when I get a 50 dollar one!

rexter65
  • rexter65
  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

Well I dont know where I said ive been doing anything "that long". But, I can tell you one thing, ive been using penny auctions alot longer then ive been posting here on these forums. And to be honest, now that I see theres censoring going on here, I doubt ill be posting much more anyways. Didnt take long.
As far as notgonnastop paying $4500+ for a $500, im sorry, thats not about "reputation", theres something going on there. What I have no idea, but no person in thier right mind pays $4500 to win a $500, it just doesnt add up. And its not like someone seen his name and just stopped bidding. He still paid $170 in the auction itself. The newer bidders have no clue about him, so the "reputation" excuse doesnt float with me.

there could of been the person that he has bidding agianst could of did somthing in the past may have even jumped him in the past you never no or they just didnt like each other and for the bids you dont no how long they been on the site and how many bid specails they bought in the past have stock piled up

jets5000
  • jets5000
  • Members
  • 758 posts

....And to be honest, now that I see theres censoring going on here, I doubt ill be posting much more anyways. Didnt take long.

Don't really know what you mean by this comment. The only "censoring" I am aware of pertains to personal contact info, bid balance/purchase references (primarily to eliminate intimidation), current or future auction discussions, and personal attacks at other bidders/forum users. These guidelines are far from onerous, though you certainly have the right to your own opinion.

The term PB was initially coined to describe bidders that will win at all costs. NGS is one such bidder. Whether he was revenge bidding, establishing his reputation, or just determined to win is immaterial. He is a legitimate bidder - a real, live person who bids on multiple sites.

Many new bidders do not do any research prior to bidding. They do not watch many (if any) auctions prior to bidding. They do not browse through the closed auctions. They do not research any bidders. They look at the items up for auction, buy into the sales pitch that they can win that iPad for a buck and start throwing in bids. Many times they wipe out their accounts with nothing to show for it and cry they were cheated. They simply do not understand the current mechanics of penny auctions.

Because you do not understand the actions of other KNOWN bidders is not a reason to insinuate something wrong is going on. I emphasize KNOWN because frequently on new sites the behavior of unknown bidders raises red flags. You may not agree with others' bidding strategies and those strategies may not be, for whatever reason, for you - but those strategies are used by legitimate bidders.

ProtoProtoss
  • ProtoProtoss
  • Members
  • 743 posts

You can't really count that stuff on Swoopo. Swoopo offers 750, 500, etc. bid packs around the clock. If you win a 750 or 500, you can just go down the line and pretty easily scoop up the rest of the big bid packs because everyone whom seen you win it aren't gonna wanna waste bids. A friend of mine accumulated over 10k bids within 2 months starting from a $100 investment. Now he just pretty much wins whatever he wants.
Disclaimer: All of the text stated above is MY own personal opinion... so for those of you who seem to always find something or have something negative to say about anything I seem to type... :lurk5:

You can't control the flock without the fear of the wolf.
---

karesless
  • karesless
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Whew. I have a lot to learn. Saw what I thought was the one and only PA on a MTV commercial a couple nights ago. Logged in and ended up winning 3 auctions. lol had to be a fluke. have since cleaned out my savings buying bids to try to do it again. Whats the trick? It tells me I am one time bidding? or something like that. well yeh I am. how else do you bid? one at a time right? ok. I am paying attention now checking out other PA's and have signed up here to watch those of you with some exp to see how this is done. Thank you for any help you can give me. If that is Run !!! I will . lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: apple, auctions, ipad, penny, swoopo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users