• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

We're back!

As many of you have seen, and may be wondering why we were down for the past 2 days. Penny Auction Watch℠ was the victim of a malicious cybercrime, a DDoS attack.

In case you’re unfamiliar with the lingo, DDoS stands for Distributed Denial of Service. Without getting into too many details, basically what happened is the perpetrator forcefully attacked us causing the site to go down.

DDoS defined:

“A denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users.”-Wikipedia

Though the possibilities are endless as to who could have initiated the attack, it’s likely that it could have been a party who is a competitor to this site, an exposed penny auction site, or anyone else that holds a grudge against this site for any other reason. Many in both groups have been on a campaign to discredit this site, in an effort to carry out their agendas and/or further steal from consumers.

Authorities have been notified and there is an investigation underway, hopefully the perpetrators will be brought to justice in a short time.

In the past, penny auction sites have also been victims of DDoS attacks.

Thank you for bearing with us in this time, we’re glad to be back!

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

TyWin7
  • TyWin7
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • 921 posts

I am sorry to hear that...Hope you find out who did it

Edited by TyWin7, 15 March 2011 - 04:39 AM.

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!!!:iamwithstupid:

MidPennyBill
  • MidPennyBill
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • 1,665 posts

You know who I suspect....

lukescooto
  • lukescooto
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

That stinks. The really crappy thing is those are the easiest types of attacks to use against almost any website. Although since the big one against Amazon years ago, all the larger companies have set up defenses against it. What suck is nowadays, even a novice computer user, with a few weeks of stud and prep time, can launch a ddos attack on almost any computer in the world. Although it may or may not be successful. There was a very recent one against a large company that I think was somewhat effective, it didnt take down the site, but slowed it down dramaticlly. Ill try to google it to see if i can find out what site it was.
Alot of the attacks are done using zombie computers, infected with backdoor trojans that are asleep, and woken up on a pre determined specified date in the future, all at the same time, and set to all go to the same site. Thats why I say that it takes a considerable amount of prep time. The larger the website, the larger zombie computer force you need, thus the longer the prep time. Smaller sites dont need this amount of prep obviously. Alot of them are getting caught though lately. Not exactly sure how, but i believe they find the original source code of the trojan that was written to take over the unknowing zombie computers, and can find the culprit that way. Fight fire with fire, thats what I say.
www.funnymoneytree.com *Under Construction, check back soon!
http://stores.ebay.com/Parts-World-USA <---Need cheap used auto parts?
I have 2 podcasts under construction, stay tuned.

lukescooto
  • lukescooto
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

What I would do, is go back about 2 or 3 months ago, and see who you might have upset in that month. You might stumble across the culprits, as they probably thought you forgot about them, or him, or her, or whoever.
www.funnymoneytree.com *Under Construction, check back soon!
http://stores.ebay.com/Parts-World-USA <---Need cheap used auto parts?
I have 2 podcasts under construction, stay tuned.

Chris @ Penny Purses
  • Chris @ Penny Purses
  • **Forum Sponsor**
  • Members
  • 1,071 posts

When I did my investigation of the site this weekend I found that the DNS was resolving to a different IP address. That would not normally be the result of a DDoS attack.
PennyPurses.com The ORIGINAL penny auction site for purses.

eta420
  • eta420
  • Members
  • 523 posts

When I did my investigation of the site this weekend I found that the DNS was resolving to a different IP address. That would not normally be the result of a DDoS attack.

Thats what I saw too..

Chris @ Penny Purses
  • Chris @ Penny Purses
  • **Forum Sponsor**
  • Members
  • 1,071 posts

Maybe the host redirected the traffic to save the server.
PennyPurses.com The ORIGINAL penny auction site for purses.

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Maybe the host redirected the traffic to save the server.

Yes.

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

linkz2188
  • linkz2188
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I think the IP address you may be looking for is 70.66.218.155
I would contact Cheetahbids.com who also was attacked this weekend for more details.
There were several PA sites that were attacked.

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Where did you find that ip?

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

nit2winn
  • nit2winn
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

What were all the attacked sites?

I think the IP address you may be looking for is 70.66.218.155
I would contact Cheetahbids.com who also was attacked this weekend for more details.
There were several PA sites that were attacked.

nit2winn
  • nit2winn
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Anyone?

What were all the attacked sites?

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Anyone?

I didn't know anyone else was attacked. Linkz, can you please get back to me when you see this? Thank you!

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

nit2winn
  • nit2winn
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

He said Cheetahbids and I read on here freezula also. They both use the same script which happens to be a company you exposed on here. It would be interesting if other sites using that script were also attacked.

Just saying...

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

He said Cheetahbids and I read on here freezula also. They both use the same script which happens to be a company you exposed on here. It would be interesting if other sites using that script were also attacked.

Just saying...

Hmm.. yeah he said several others. I wonder who else.

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

linkz2188
  • linkz2188
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

It took a few days but I have ascertained the owner of that IP as Josh McDonald, who is the owner of PennyAuctionSoft. Sorry but I don't have a list of all the sites that were attacked but I understand there were several. I understand that Freezula had his entire database wiped, as well, by a "delete" backdoor command that was in the PennyAuctionSoft script.

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

It took a few days but I have ascertained the owner of that IP as Josh McDonald, who is the owner of PennyAuctionSoft. Sorry but I don't have a list of all the sites that were attacked but I understand there were several. I understand that Freezula had his entire database wiped, as well, by a "delete" backdoor command that was in the PennyAuctionSoft script.

Are you saying PAS sold scripts and then wiped the databases out?

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: attack, cheat, criminal, cyber crime, ddos, fraud, penny auction, scam, steal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users