bigdea.com buy it now ipad ipad penny auctions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

pennyauctionstudy
  • pennyauctionstudy
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I am doing an academic study of penny auctions, using BigDeal.com as an example. I have a couple of questions to ask those who have bidded on BigDeal.com.

First, have you used the Buy It Now (BIN) option? What is your rule of thumb for exercising the BIN option? After the value of your bids exceeded 20% of the retail price?

Second, was the BIN option ever made available to iPad in 2010? When did BigDeal.com make the BIN option available to iPad and iPhone in 2011? Around mid May?

I would appreciate it very much if you could provide any information.

Thanks

Ben

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Hi Ben,

I guess I could say I used BIN after my bids exceeded 20%, in many cases I used BIN on the majority of items I bid on. BIN was available on iPad's from the beginning I believe, then removed for a period. I think it came back around March or prior. I would have to double check a few articles I've had to see if I wrote about it. Have you bid there?

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

samuel4fun
  • samuel4fun
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

>First, have you used the Buy It Now (BIN) option? What is your rule of thumb for exercising the BIN option? >After the value of your bids exceeded 20% of the retail price?

I don't understand why the 20% rule. Frankly I bid all the way to retail. That's because even if I bidded all the way and still did not win, I'd only be paying the retail price they set for BIN. But if according to your rule, I hit BIN when it exceeds 20% of the retail (i.e. I hit BIN when it reaches $20 for a $100 item), but I lost the chance to win if somehow I can win the auction when it reaches $30 or $50, which is still a significant discount to retail. And that's the whole point of BIN. It allows any player to not worry about losing money and they can go all the way to the end. I used BIN when my bid cannot win and it reaches BIN. Bigdeal.com would stop and won't let you bid because you exceed the BIN price and you will just pay that.

Now here's another reason...SALES TAX!!!! I did this on a Macbook $1200 and I only got 4% discount when I won the auction. I pay no tax. My bids are $0.75 each but whatever item I win, no tax on the bids. BUT if I do BIN and let say I used $240 of bids (i.e. 20% of $1200) and then paying $960 (i.e. the BIN price), the $960 would incur a 9.25% tax for California. Again, why use BIN????

Second, was the BIN option ever made available to iPad in 2010? When did BigDeal.com make the BIN option available to iPad and iPhone in 2011? Around mid May?

iPad had BIN only in 2011, it was earlier than mid-May, maybe even January. In Jan, they did not have iPhone, only iPad 1. Before 2011, no BIN was available

pennyauctionstudy
  • pennyauctionstudy
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thank you so much for replying to my question. Yes, I have bidded on BigDeal.com, but not much. If you could provide any further information on iPads, I would be really grateful. What articles may contain in formation on iPads at BigDeal.com?

By the way, Wayback machine shows the following information about BIN on iPads at BigDeal.com:

* iPad 3G 64GB BIN not available: 05/22/10,11/11/10,
* iPad 64GB Wi-Fi BIN not available: 08/19/10,
* iPad 32GB Wi-Fi BIN not available: 11/10/10,
* iPad 64GB Wi-Fi available on 11/13/10, 11/22/10, 11/28/10, 11/30/10,

In addition, I am pretty sure that BIN was not available for iPads from late March this year through mid May this year.

My database indicates that at least two members of Penny Auction Watch (Zyekad and letsplay) are top earners at BigDeal.com. Is there any way I could contact these two very successful bidders at BigDeal.com? They should have good knowlege of iPads at BigDeal.

Best,

Ben

pennyauctionstudy
  • pennyauctionstudy
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi, Samuel4fun,

Thanks a lot for replying. I appreciate your answers.

BIN on iPads: Given your answers and my findings, it appears that BIN was not available for iPads at BigDeal.com before November 13, 2011? Yes, my datebase confirms that BigDeal did not have iPhone before 2011. Anyone has more information on this?

BIN in general: I did not make my point clear here. I understand perfectly your argument that a rational player should bid all the way to retail price for auctions for which BIN is available, if this bidder planned to buy the product any way. However, most bidders at BigDeal only bid a few bids for a typical auction. Those bidders probably did not plan to buy the product either through bidding all the way or exercising the BIN option. Consider this example Amazon Kindle w/ Leather Case - BigDeal.com The product is an Amazon Kindle with leather case (retail price is $285 at BigDeal, but Amazon retail price is only $198), and the auction id is 21177. The table below shows the summary information about this auction:

[TABLE="width: 180"]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl64, width: 64, bgcolor: transparent"]# of bids[/TD]
[TD="class: xl64, width: 81, bgcolor: transparent"]# of bidders[/TD]
[TD="class: xl64, width: 94, bgcolor: transparent"]total # of bids[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]1[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]17[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]17[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]2[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]8[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]16[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]3[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]3[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]4[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]5[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]11[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]11[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]18[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]18[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]19[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]19[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]24[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]24[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]42[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]42[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]76[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]76[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]85[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]85[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]139[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]139[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]152[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]152[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]204[/TD]
[TD="class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent"]204[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent"]Total[/TD]
[TD="class: xl65, bgcolor: transparent"]41[/TD]
[TD="class: xl65, bgcolor: transparent"]829[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent, colspan: 3"]Note: auction price is $8.29. [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

As you can see, 17 out of 41 bidders for this auction submitted only 1 bid, and 8 bidders submitted only 2 bids.

Among these 41 bidders, who may have bought the product through BIN? My guess is that those who bidded only a few bids are very unlikely to use BIN. The bidders who have used over 100 bids probably have opted to use BIN. What about those bidders in between?

Best,

Ben

op19
  • op19
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

The past tense of bid is bid. You sound like poorly educated 8-year-olds.

MidPennyBill
  • MidPennyBill
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • 1,665 posts

The points they are making are valid... We dont need a bunch of insults here.

BabyFidgette
  • BabyFidgette
  • Members
  • 1,154 posts

The past tense of bid is bid. You sound like poorly educated 8-year-olds.

I'm a teacher and can understand how these things may make you cringe. First of all, nobody is perfect. Secondly, as Midpenny stated, no need for insults (unless someone was insulting you first LOL).

Honestly, bidded is used so much, it sounds normal...even to me. I guess that's like when people say "irregardless, don't instead of doesn't, gonna, ain't, etc." We aren't writing a dissertation here, we are just on a social forum.

BabyFidgette
  • BabyFidgette
  • Members
  • 1,154 posts

Ooops, wrong thread....

pennyauctionstudy
  • pennyauctionstudy
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi, all,

Based on the information provided by Samuel4fun, the administrator, and other sources, I have figured out when BIN was made avaialble for iPads at BigDeal. Thanks. This is a good forum.

I still need information on whether you use BIN and under what conditions.

Thanks

Ben

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bigdea.com, buy it now, ipad, ipad penny auctions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users