penny auction penny auction gold

• Please log in to reply
394 replies to this topic

ProtoProtoss
  • ProtoProtoss
  • Members
  • 743 posts

LoL <-- BiddingTilWin here.

I won 4 auctions today but that bid pack cost me... Only started today so learning who to go against/not go against right now.

Question for ya two... seems the silver stuff often goes way less then the gold stuff... just a first days notice but your thoughts?

Hey, and welcome to the forum.

As for your question, it really kind of depends honestly. I can't really speak for other people in their reasoning, but I actually like silver, gold, and platinum. For the most part, I just pick my items based off the designs (i know that sounds retarded, but I'm serious) and/or which ones would be the most meaningful to me or others in association. Like for instance, I take care of four girls, so I wanted a panda for each one of them which is why I aimed all panda stuff last friday and tagged 1 more. Didn't care what metals they were, as long as they had pandas!

For me it's kind of like eating food. If the food is ugly, I won't eat it, so if the coin is ugly... I won't bid on it no matter what it's worth. Others only aim for silver, while some will not touch anything that isn't gold.

The other thing to consider is the sizes... A lot of people want the gold because although it's offered in smaller quantity, it's worth a little more. That being so, it's easier to store it vs the same value of silver being much bigger. you have to keep in mind that a lot of these bidders are not really into precious metals like some of us and have no idea why they are even bidding, they just know it's fun. Others are really wanting to acquire it to hold on to for years, so you never know which few people are going to clash on what pieces.

Disclaimer: All of the text stated above is MY own personal opinion... so for those of you who seem to always find something or have something negative to say about anything I seem to type... :lurk5:

You can't control the flock without the fear of the wolf.
---

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

LoL <-- BiddingTilWin here.

I won 4 auctions today but that bid pack cost me... Only started today so learning who to go against/not go against right now.

Question for ya two... seems the silver stuff often goes way less then the gold stuff... just a first days notice but your thoughts?

I am into both they are only going to go up. Gold is bouncing more to the upside though but silver is also a safe investment.

ProtoProtoss
  • ProtoProtoss
  • Members
  • 743 posts

I will only go at bidpacks when they are directly infront of high end auctions I want. up until today I won a few large BP for a few cents, plus the complaining about hogging all the big stuff I tried to tone it down.

Yeah, I actually do that too, but I didn't think that's why you were going for it though, haha. I figured you were on it early and just wasn't going to back off of it since you'd already gone so deep in it. I thought you were going all the way to recover some of the bids back while depleting other's bids a little in hopes that they won't come onto one of your other auctions. I know I try to keep other auctions going just to divert attention away from mine if the person is someone I think might get involved. New people usually focus 1 thing and go hard on it as opposed to trying to get in on multiple. At least from what I've noticed.

You should check out that link I posted up there. The calculator is kinda nice. You can plug in all your bullion you have and find out how much it's worth.

Edited by ProtoProtoss, 09 August 2011 - 03:46 AM.

Disclaimer: All of the text stated above is MY own personal opinion... so for those of you who seem to always find something or have something negative to say about anything I seem to type... :lurk5:

---

Randomguy
  • Randomguy
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Nice link! Helpful indeed!

Yeah I focused on two gold auctions and won them early.. bidpacks are a pain sometimes..

I also like the idea of shopping based on looks vs price... ppl dont realize how much better it is if you enjoy the item vs just shopping/bidding @ random.

Thanks for the welcome. Gluck with your bidding :)

iwontgiveup
  • iwontgiveup
  • Members
  • 908 posts

Then the site kept freezing and I couldn't get any bids to register. Sometimes it would pop back in then I'd go to the auction to put another bidbuddy before it would do it again and it wouldn't load. I tried to throw some singles in from the front page, but they never went through and when the auction finally came back, it showed it had closed. :-(

So the site froze for you too?? It kept freezing for me probably every 15-20 minutes! I was not impressed with that at all and it caused me to lose a couple auctions because of it! I was getting so frustrated because every time it froze, I would refresh the screen and the site wouldn't actually refresh for several minutes each time. My internet connection was completely fine and I wasn't running any other programs other than Skype. I even tested out my connection speed online to see if the problem was on my end. When the screen would finally refresh, the auction would display but would be frozen at like 2 seconds but it wouldn't accept any of my bids or autobidders because it was already over. This whole freezing thing happened probably 7-10 times if not more. Cost me to lose about 3 auctions. :mad:

Randomguy
  • Randomguy
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

I noticed a 'freeze' (unable to load) during the higher peak times also...

Since i'm not a widget guy or do any type of coding as far as sites I don't have any real theories but one would hope the site could handle traffic/scripts from a large number of people...

BidWealth
  • BidWealth
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Hi All
WOW what a night!
First we would like to apologize for the freeze issue
Initially our system operator thought it was the widgets, as it was giving an error relating to them when the clocks would stop. We had noticed that once last week while auctions weren't running the widget, while not receiving data from it's server for approx 20 minutes had caused them to stop. We still believe it has something to do with the widgets, (which REALLY ticks me off because they were MY idea I like having them there).
It definitely isn't server overload. BidWealth.com is on it's own dedicated servers and even the past 2 Mondays, (which have been our most heavily trafficked days thus far) the servers were at less than 10% capacity. As a result, to determine WHAT the true cause was, you may see an hour or so of down time today, so our technicians can investigate and resolve any issues.
We are also as a result of last night as well as some requests from you, looking at changes to our BidButlers...
One thing we are discussing is a rapid or zip butler, currently they are set to randomly place bids between 3-9 secs, these as you know would zip through the bids loaded if 2 butlers are active together...
This would also speed things up considerably. I'm quite interested in hearing your input regarding this.
We are sorry for any inconvenience from last evening and are doing everything possible to see to it it doesn't happen again
Secondly regarding the battle between Proto & RBTW... It was like Clash of The Titans!Attached File  bidwealthlogobig.jpg   43.8KB   4 downloads

Randomguy
  • Randomguy
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Hi All
WOW what a night!
First we would like to apologize for the freeze issue
Initially our system operator thought it was the widgets, as it was giving an error relating to them when the clocks would stop. We had noticed that once last week while auctions weren't running the widget, while not receiving data from it's server for approx 20 minutes had caused them to stop. We still believe it has something to do with the widgets, (which REALLY ticks me off because they were MY idea I like having them there).
It definitely isn't server overload. BidWealth.com is on it's own dedicated servers and even the past 2 Mondays, (which have been our most heavily trafficked days thus far) the servers were at less than 10% capacity. As a result, to determine WHAT the true cause was, you may see an hour or so of down time today, so our technicians can investigate and resolve any issues.
We are also as a result of last night as well as some requests from you, looking at changes to our BidButlers...
One thing we are discussing is a rapid or zip butler, currently they are set to randomly place bids between 3-9 secs, these as you know would zip through the bids loaded if 2 butlers are active together...
This would also speed things up considerably. I'm quite interested in hearing your input regarding this.
We are sorry for any inconvenience from last evening and are doing everything possible to see to it it doesn't happen again
Secondly regarding the battle between Proto & RBTW... It was like Clash of The Titans![ATTACH=CONFIG]1126[/ATTACH]

Glad to hear all is going well with the site.

I personally like it when two parties have bidbutler set to just 'blow' through them. The way it see it, both have committed those bids to the auction, you can't stop the butler, drain them both, and show who came out on top :) One it speeds up the auction, provides a better chance for the one who committed more to have a quicker chance at winning an auction. Obviously the longer an auction drags the more chances for other people to jump in on (which is better for the site) but it isn't always as great for those who have invested in the auction.

Just my 2 cents tho :) Thanks again for listening and caring about us.

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

clearly there were some issues even though I did win it had a major influence on my bid strategies as I was unable to stop the autobidders and single bid in fear that the site was lagging so bad that I might not get a bid in on time and lose. So this essentially forced me to stick with the autobidder and potentially use more bids. I mostly use increments of 10 bids per set and add multiples of that and it allows me to dropout and back in as needed I was unable to do that last night becaause of the freezing. I did win the auctions so my losses were minimized and I broke even for the night meaning value versus bids used so I technically have no loss except I may have used more bids than needed that is all speculative of course.

To be fair you may want to consider those that are emailing you and complaining about the issues being voiced and consider voiding those auctions. Please keep in mind if you give anyone bids back you must refund all involed in the given auction and void the auction, it sounds like this may apply to a couple auctions last night. Bidders like to know that sites are accountable for server side issues especially with this much $$$ involved as your site experiences.. This will also promote good faith and customer retention.

On a brighter note I must give kudos to bidwaelth for the great communication, fast shipping, this site is at the top of my favorites list. For a startup the site has ran flawless with exception of the above issues which are simply growing pains

In my opinion the issue is related to the autobidder I have seen this happen too many times to count, your server will look like it is untaxed however the script is struggling. Sellmoo who uses this same script struggled with this same issue and they went to the zip butler. Autobidders are the nessasary eveil and need to exist.

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

One other comment you should allow bidders to cancel thier autobidders once activated otherwise many new bidders will set them thinking they can be canceled and will be turned off when they discover all there bids are commited and they have no control over that. It is also unfair to the opposing bidders becasue their bids are being used up when unsupecting bidders place autobidders they do not realize they cannot stop. The zip-butler will minimize that but it is still relevent

ProtoProtoss
  • ProtoProtoss
  • Members
  • 743 posts

Or at least put a notice under the bidbutler button to show that once activated, it may not be cancelled.

---

iwontgiveup
  • iwontgiveup
  • Members
  • 908 posts

Seems like all we are getting is just an "apology" for Monday's freezing issues. Still haven't received a response to my email.

BidWealth
  • BidWealth
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Hi All
We have been rebuilding our servers and installing additional security
measures as well as updating our BidButlers including a limit to the amount of bids
that be placed as well as the number of BidButlers that can be utilized at one time
We have held back placing the orders for Mon auctions, so till we can see how many auctions were
affected. It is likely we will cancel those auctions and replace the bids
.Attached File  bidwealthlogobig.jpg   43.8KB   1 downloads

iwontgiveup
  • iwontgiveup
  • Members
  • 908 posts

The site has finally loaded for me, but none of today's auctions are displaying any longer. Anyone know if tonight's auctions have been cancelled?

iwontgiveup
  • iwontgiveup
  • Members
  • 908 posts

Is anyone hear seeing any auctions running? I see none. This message displays: "No live auctions to display".

ProtoProtoss
  • ProtoProtoss
  • Members
  • 743 posts

They are dealing with server issues still and re-crediting everyone's bids that were lost during the reset. Don't think auctions are going to run tonight.

---

iwontgiveup
  • iwontgiveup
  • Members
  • 908 posts

I'm still waiting for them to get back to me about Monday's freezing issues. They replied back saying they will cross reference the troubled auctions when their server would go back up, but still nothing...

And yeah you're right Proto, no auctions for today. Will resume Friday. Waste of time today that's for sure and I wont be able to bid Friday, so good luck to everyone.

Cheers.

BidWealth
  • BidWealth
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Hi All
As Proto mentioned we aren't able to hold auctions today...
We were up and running but were receiving emails from some that they
weren't seeing the auctions, or weren't able to get the site up.
We paused auctions and will resume back to our normal schedule
Fri 5pm EST
Thank you for your understanding and we are sorry for any inconvenience
Attached File  bidwealthlogobig.jpg   43.8KB   2 downloads

Randomguy
  • Randomguy
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Wins reset @ a certain day (ie sunday) or based off time?

ProtoProtoss
  • ProtoProtoss
  • Members
  • 743 posts

Sunday

---

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: penny auction, penny auction gold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users