Started by diehardbluesfan , Aug 05 2011 05:05 AM

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

diehardbluesfan
  • diehardbluesfan
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I always see this site being advertised on TV and in ads on the internet and was wondering if it is legit or a scam? I've read mixed reports on it, some say its a scam and others say its good as long as you know what you are doing.

If somebody that has bid over there give me and others some info, that would be very helpful!

Thanks!!

DriftingZ
  • DriftingZ
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

I have bid a little on Quibids and gotten all my items. (Gift cards). I haven't tried for anything big yet. I am just not ready.

You said you read reports. I am not sure of on this forum or on sitejabber.com etc.

Have you searched for the term Quibids in this forum? I am pretty sure you will get detailed experiences.

iwontgiveup
  • iwontgiveup
  • Members
  • 908 posts

They have been proven to be legitimate from many bidders here within the forum. The only thing that no one likes about Quibids is their "trap page" techniques.

I have noticed a MASSIVELY HUGE influx in Quibids advertisements now that they have expanded to Canada. Almost every site I visit, no matter what time of day, Quibids will have a Google Adwords/Adsense running. Their advertisement bill must be intense, but their profits will also go much higher now that they've expanded.

Quibids is the site that Swoopo tried to be but failed miserably.

The only thing that I hate about Quibids' practices is their affiliate ads, and their semi-deceiving landing page QuiBids - Shopping Redefined

Mig Glasser
  • Mig Glasser
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

you can start small and win some gift cards . i won a wii in a couple bids . but i definitly got sent to the trap pagers also and lost alot of bids i dont bid there often anymore. it seems anything i have to actually bid for ends up takin all my bids if im gonna win there its by luck

824addiction
  • 824addiction
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Hi Blues. I started on the Penny Auction scene with Quibids and became addicted because of them. :-) I initially supported them, because they were a group of Oklahoma guys, and I'm an Okie :-). But, less than a month after starting, I was quickly addicted to the deals and product offerings. Everything in my house, almost, has come from Quibids! LOL! I am still a PA newbie of sorts--I didnt realize, until recently, that there are actually sites lke APA that monitor all of your PA activity...I was greatly surprised that I had made it to the ranks of number 10 on all time winners-especially since I had only started playing 6 months prior... I, hopefully, have fallen off that radar as I have taken the past couple of months off....I dont see that as a badge of honor-rather a sign of extreme addiction! :-0 So with that said, I can tell you that, yes..they are legitimate. They are super fast at product shipment..and they always seemed to have way better merchandise-and more of it-than any other site I had seen. And, the customer support is pretty great-aside from a troll named Efrom..:-) So, now the not so great side...Yes, they do have a trap door, so to speak. Once you win certain items--gift cards, mostly..and enough of them, you get placed into a narrow field where you are limited on the items you can see. They will give you all sorts of explanations as to why this is...But I believe the bottom line is a profits and loss type thing. They aren't getting discounts on gift cards, hence the bigger potential for profits loss. They also monitor your win ratio..If you are a newbie starting out, and you are posting impressive wins with little input, you'll find yourself thru the trap door quickly...But, in that respect, I think that it isnt such a bad thing...Bots, program assists etc are so hard to detect that playing habits are taken into account. if you find yourself in the trap door auctions...know this...it is cyclical. You wont stay there forever. The best way to stay out of the trap door? I give you this secret for free..lol....bid on a wide variety of items. Dont limit yourself to one thing. They have lots of great things. I used to fight against the trap door constantly until I discovered the way to avoid it. I called them, backed them into a corner, out talked them or wore them down until they put me back into gen pop( and that was in the days before they wanted to openly admit they had the trap door)...Of course, the first impressive GC win threw me right back to the dark side..lol...In my opinion, the trap door has become an essential non issue...What I do find a major issue, at the moment is that they have advertised the hell out of their site. The traffic on there is a nightmare. And, instead of increasing their products to allow for it..it seems as if they have decreased them! When I first started, they would list 20 or so ipads a day, for instance...These days, it seems they are lucky to have 3...and those three are going for heinous prices (well from the PA standpoint, anyway). Gone are the days when the ipads averaged $13. I won an Imac for $7.14 no too long ago..But it seems they rarely list them anymore--so..once again...way high prices. The gift cards have gone for super high prices on average as well--Im not sure what is going on? I am hoping its temporary growing pains and that they will revert back to the Quibids that I loved and loyally supported. Until that happens...I will say, bid with extreme confidence in the site..but really study --do your homework as to the best times to bid. Good deals still exist..they are just becoming harder to find. good luck! Id be happy to give you any helpful tips I can.

tnvolfan2
  • tnvolfan2
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

824addiction that is a great post and right on the money. The new trick on gift cards are putting the little bid packs with them to run up retail so buy it now it less profitable. I use to find 2 to 3 pages on ending auctions when I logged on, now less than half a page. I guess I will all ways bid there, but I have sure cut back. Gone are the days when I could not wait for one of my win limit slots to open back up :)

Empiricist
  • Empiricist
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Be Careful to UNDERSTAND the terms and conditions- most newbies dont- Ididnt. Know they use "trap" pages heavily! The terms and conditions read: "QuiBids attempts to limit some auctions to participants of comparable skill, as determined by QuiBids, to enhance user experience and maintain a viable business model. In so doing, QuiBids may limit which auctions are available to particular users based on any factors deemed appropriate by QuiBids in its sole discretion, including experience of the user, historical success of the user, demographic factors, prior bidding and spending activity, and other factors. In particular, QuiBids may limit certain auctions to less experienced or successful users in any manner QuiBids deems appropriate to optimize the overall user experience of all QuiBids users. You acknowledge that You may be, and You consent to being, excluded from auctions at QuiBids discretion."
What this means to you is that after watching them for a while, and thinking they have some neat stuff- you join, buy bids..and then CAN NOT participate in any auctions EXCEPT what they decide you should bid on!!..Its really important that you know this first. Most of us didnt understand exactly what this meant. It kind of goes down hill from there in other ways too. Im a researcher so I watched and read, and watched and read some more searching around the internet for a couple of weeks prior to joining. I still am "locked out" of the items that I originally joined for. the next "blow" was to buy more bids after a couple of wins on my first day. I was bidding on bid packs- and realized if I didnt win, I could "Buy it now" for the remaining amount above the bids I'd spent. I did that- and charged a debit to an account for a new bid pack. to MY GREAT SURPRISE- these "purchased" bids where in fact "voucher" bids- not "real" bids. SO they dont have the same weight as real bids- although they "should" as they were in fact "bought" at full price.
If you know what you're getting into, you'll probably avoid them.
I really HOPE you read this, ad that it helps!

• pugluv likes this

deenie61
  • deenie61
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Personally, I love Quibids. Though I swear, when the timer gets down to 1second, it takes much longer getting to 0 for me than it does for some others. When it's not my name up there, I can't get to the bid button fast enough. Too many jumpers usually, but at times not as bad. For a long time I thought weekdays, mid-afternoon was the best time to bid. But sometimes, in the evening, even with more people it can be good too, as there are more auctions and it's all moving so fast you might just get lucky and hit a really good deal. Recently I had one of those awesome runs that made me really wish I could win more than 3. 100 bids ended at .04(2 bids) WalMart $25 + 25 bids .15(4 bids) and 25 bids .03(1 bid). And some days I can't win to save my life! What I like the most though, is that unlike the smaller sites, I can go after larger giftcards and have an equal chance. On small sites, the largest and best giftcards are always tagged(& won for pennies) by powerbidders, while the rest of us try for the spoils. For this reason I've quit bidding on most of the smaller sites, even though I do like them. And Quibids shipping is amazing! I'm just one state over from the Quibids, so once they are shipped I get them a couple days later. Total time, 5-7 days after winning, I have them. I can pretty much plan a trip to Walmart, and swing by the mailbox for my giftcard on the way there, they are that reliable!
  • moose1515 likes this

BabyFidgette
  • BabyFidgette
  • Members
  • 1,154 posts

I love quibids for the gift cards. I also won a Margaritaville Concoction Maker, but practically went to retail bc I would have done buy it now anyway. The trick is, buy your bids and if it's a high priced item, bid on what you are willing to pay retail for. I did that twice with the gift cards. Bid up to $25, and did BIN. They actually don't let you keep bidding over the retail of the cards once you've hit your limit. Be careful if you win vouchers. Those don't count toward BIN.

Empiricist
  • Empiricist
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Personally, I love Quibids. Though I swear, when the timer gets down to 1second, it takes much longer getting to 0 for me than it does for some others. When it's not my name up there, I can't get to the bid button fast enough.

Deenie
PLease read http://www.pennyauct...o-attached.html

You're not alone...many of us have had the issue, (different post) of the Timer suddenly coming to a hang.
This member took a video! Watch it carefully and see it stay at 1 second for more than 5 seconds.
I wish I could share your love of Quibids, I really do, but Im just a hard working woman that needs to budget,
and spend wisely. I need a fair and honest playing field. GIftcards are nice, but is that the only reason of joining?
SOunds like maybe they've also trapped you in a mirror site?

Let us know if you sitll have 7 to 8 rows of auction items on your home page. Best of luck, and enjoy your bidding.
  • pugluv likes this

Jonasquinn
  • Jonasquinn
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I signed up with quibids recently. I haven't had any issues with the site yet. After reading the terms and conditions.... "the explanation of the trap", what can you do? it is what it is. Now some have stated that being in the trap is not permanent. I hope that's the case. Have any other members experienced this to be the case and what do you think may have caused you to be removed from the trap? Is is possibly a number of day? Losing ( haha )? Or possibly just bidding on a wide variety (types of items) of auctions? I'd love to hear your experiences. Thanks. :cool:

Royal Kingbids
  • Royal Kingbids
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

hi sorry about the problem come check out our new site at----Royal King Bids we got wii black console for sale too........

cward78
  • cward78
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I always see comercials on tv about this site and I wonder if they are legit?

DrMath
  • DrMath
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Quibids is what I would call 'mildly' ethical. They do reveal, someplaces, that you will only be able to bid on the things they want you to see. As an example, suppose you want to bid on gift cards. You can go to the 'Quibids Live Auctions' tab, and see the cards that are available.

If you have never won, you will see a bunch of gift cards available, some with vouchers, some without. If you have won, and are logged in, you will see far fewer cards available. Based on your past activities, they will limit significantly the auctions you can participate in. So a person who has never won an auction has a pretty good chance of winning their first auction. This is because they are competing with others who have never won before.

After your first win, Quibids simply hides those auctions. You don't typically know they are not available, and so don't realize what has happened. What has happened is that there are now a higher number of people bidding, all with at least one win, bidding on fewer products. Your odds have just significantly decreased.

Is this legitimate? Well, they do include these details (kind of) in the small print. Is it really ethical? Well, they want to make money. Does the average person come out ahead on Quibids?

Of course, they are in business to lose money, aren't they?

It seems to me their business model is to give people a quick victory, and then let people lose money slowly. You are allowed to purchase items you bid on, using the 'buy it now' feature. If this is a gift card, that will result in approx. $2 added expense to you. If it is a gift card with vouchers, you will later use those vouchers, bidding against other people with vouchers. But you won't get the money back that you spent on vouchers, so you will lose any money spent for vouchers, unless you win something with them.

Quibids is a business. They have advertising, personnel, shipping, buildings, equipment, etc. to pay for. Someone has to provide the funds for that. Most of your bids will go into helping them pay for those expenses, while some of your funds will be used to purchase products. But most people will lose money using Quibids, otherwise, they couldn't stay in business.

So my advice is, do the math. Some people will do well on Quibids, but the average person has to lose.

bidaddict
  • bidaddict
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thank you for your great explantion as far as hiding certain items...I won almost $100 worth of Starbucks Gift Cards. Somehow there where easy to win for me..now I don't see them anymore on Quibids.
I still don't understand the "trap" page. How do I know I am on it?
Thanks
Marion

824addiction
  • 824addiction
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Hi Marion, the quickest way to know if you have fallen through the trap door is to look at your bid voichers..Do you see two of the 250 bid vouchers come up within minutes of each other? If so, you've eluded the trap door. I would say go to the 100 and up gc to see if there are a lot less than normal, but if you are new to the site, you wont know what is normal. Bid on a varoety of things and you should be able to avoid the trap. :-)
  • pugluv likes this

Riffington
  • Riffington
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Hello All,
We run a penny auction site called Riffington. We are still new and hoping to get the word out that we run a site that specializes in designer items and gift cards. This week we have Hunter rain boots (the fall season is approaching!), a Holt Renfrew or Neiman Marcus gift card as well as a Louis Vuitton Neverfull. Our prices are much lower than Quibids as we are new and still making our way out of the gutter. Joining gives you 3 free bids and we are very open to suggestions. If you want a specific item, email us and we will do our best to put it up.
All the best,
The Riffington Team
Handbags, Jewelery | Riffington
jessicak@riffington.com

Riffington
  • Riffington
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Hello All, We run a penny auction site called Riffington. We are still new and hoping to get the word out that we run a site that specializes in designer items and gift cards. This week we have Hunter rain boots (the fall season is approaching!), a Holt Renfrew or Neiman Marcus gift card as well as a Louis Vuitton Neverfull. Our prices are much lower than Quibids as we are new and still making our way out of the gutter. Joining gives you 3 free bids and we are very open to suggestions. If you want a specific item, email us and we will do our best to put it up.
All the best,
The Riffington Team
Handbags, Jewelery | Riffington
jessicak@riffington.com

DrMath
  • DrMath
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thank you for your great explantion as far as hiding certain items...I won almost $100 worth of Starbucks Gift Cards. Somehow there where easy to win for me..now I don't see them anymore on Quibids.
I still don't understand the "trap" page. How do I know I am on it?
Thanks
Marion

Rather than calling it a "trap" page, I'd prefer to think of it as being "locked out". Use only one type of browser to bid on QuiBids. Lets say you are using Internet Explorer. Then also load the QuiBids site using FireFox or Google Chrome, but DO NOT LOG IN on that browser, ever. If you do this, you will probably see more items available on the non-logged in browser than on the logged in browser. This indicates that you have been locked out of that category. This will only be true if you have already won something. A

fter my first auction, I happened to use a different browser, and then after seeing what I wanted to bid on, logged in. I was no longer allowed to bid on the item I had just seen. I'm not sure you can always avoid the "trap" page. I have sometimes copied the link from the non-logged in browser over to the logged in browser. At that point, it will show the item, but the 'Bid Now' button was grayed out, with a message telling me I couldn't bid on it (I think I got the message when I tried to bid).

A new user will see a lot of gift cards without vouchers. Users who are trapped will see primarily gift cards with vouchers. As I mentioned in another post, almost everyone who wins cards wins these vouchers, and then uses them against each other. So even if you win, you have to waste vouchers against other people who have probably won vouchers. You won't necessarily win more, you just won't necessarily lose as much.

Thanks,
Dr Math
  • pugluv likes this

bidaddict
  • bidaddict
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thanks all to help with Quibids....I still think there are "the best gig in town" so far. At least there OPEN 24/7 and I don't have to set up my alarm clock to remind me an auction will start in 23:34:13 LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users