Background Image

Lowest unique hints from Smartbids wrong.

Started by Avatarrxxxx , Nov 08 2011 08:01 PM

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Okay joined this site yesterday both here and TheSmartbid.com sigh lost most of my first $50 investment, expected that though trying to learn a new bidding format though.
What I did not expect was for the site that offer you a bid range hint for the lowest unique bid as a hint when you bid to lie about it.
$25 bid pack I started at 11 no, HInt between 1 and 6cents; bid 3 same hint bid 5 same hint bid 6 same hint; bid 2 not the lowest but I knocked the lowest off, new hint Lowest unique is between 7and 14 cents.
I bid 12cent s same hint pops up but now I cannot bid because the auction is closed. winning bid was "4cents" What why did it tell me to try between 7 and 14 then.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Are there any warnings about this site?
I haven't be able to find anything yet other than they are slow to ship.
Thanks,
Richard
BTW
if the site owner is sees this you should create a better FAQ listing length of time to pay and better contact info.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Correct that, first bid was 8cents not 11

SmartBid
  • SmartBid
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Hi,

Welcome to SmartBid! Thank You for trying our auctions - this is a great question. Let's see if I can answer this properly.

The hints are always shown around the current lowest unique but it doesn't guarantee there are no holes - what I mean by that is when you were bidding no one had bid on 4 cents. And at that time, current lowest unique was indeed 2 cents. When you bid 2 cents, that no longer was unique and the current lowest unique (LU) shifted to 7 cents - not 4 cents ( since no had bid 4 cents!). So the hint was correct about where the current lowest unique is. After you bid, dman came in and bid a bunch including 4 cents which no one had bid and was lower than current LU 7 cents - so it became LU.

Now, the question is how dman did it?? Here is the secret of winning - you always want to make sure there are no holes in the board. So what he did like most other smart bidders do, bid in range (meaning bidding in sequence without any holes). This can be costly but very effective in exposing holes which other bidders might have skipped. Hope this explanation was clear - feel free to ask any question.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks for responding, While I understand what your saying it doesn't mean that it is not wrong or deceptive practice and it should be fixed. It cost me a bid package that I was after and to tell the truth your program flat out lied. The current "LOWEST UNIQUE" was 4 not 7 so the hint should have started at 4, no matter how you try to explain it.
If your program had not misled me I would have bid the 4cents before moving on to the 7 cent mark. I am on PA sites to save money as much as possible not waste it so multibidding is counter productive to that end for me; if 3 bids are left in and auction why would I want to bid 5?
I am already concerned that of the $80 bucks I've spent on your site that the one thing I have gotten is a $10 Amazon e-card that for some reason I still have not received. these should be sent out rather quickly in my opinion I should not have to wait more than a few hours, I mean you have already got the money from the auction and its not like someone has to purchase and mail a physical card. Its been over 48 hours since I won the auction at the time I am submitting this post.
A better resolution to my issue needs to be found.
Unsatisfied,
Richard B.

Chris @ Penny Purses
  • Chris @ Penny Purses
  • **Forum Sponsor**
  • Members
  • 1,071 posts

As a third party here is my opinion. I see how you could have misunderstood the clue provided, but it does not appear that it was intended to trick you. SmartBid can learn from this and make the clue easier to understand.

As far as what they do to resolve the misunderstanding is completely up to them.

Just thought I would be nosy since I am supposed to be doing really boring paperwork.
PennyPurses.com The ORIGINAL penny auction site for purses.

BabyFidgette
  • BabyFidgette
  • Members
  • 1,154 posts

Richard, I understand it is frustrating, but it really does take time to learn a strategy on smartbid. I've won many great items, but people hardly ever win with one bid. Most wind up spending $250 or more to win an iPad, say. It is a costly site, believe me. And the hints take getting used to to understand too, but once you "get it" (and I haven't fully yet), it gets easier. This is the moat strategic site IMHO.

muchomaas
  • muchomaas
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

I agree with BabyFidgette. It's a lot different than other sites, and you have to remember that other players will be playing off of your moves. A lot of times, it might not appear anything is going on, but when you come in toward the end and start bidding, other players who have set the board up have laid out a strategy and are quickly moving to execute it. Believe me, the first few times I played on Smartbid, I got crushed, and had no idea how it happened. The hints are just part of the puzzle.

FrogGal
  • FrogGal
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I used to like this site, too. I sent them an email about a malfunction type thing that happened and they never responded and that was weeks ago. They managed to respond to the other emails I sent them around them same time about something completely unrelated to the malfunction but not the malfunction type thing.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hey guys Thanks for your comments and opinions , The problem I was having with the hints is that the way they word the hint i.e "Lowest unique range 7 to 14 cents" implies that there are no lower unique bids below 7, this is a false statement .
If their was only one unique bid on 4cents or even if there was no bid on 4cents and it was the lowest open bid the range should have been expanded to include that number or the bid range provided is entirely false. While 7 was indeed a unique bid it was a higher available unique bid and not the lowest. If the hint had read Lowest unique range 1 to 14 for example that would have been a true statement.
As to what they also said about dman coming in after had bid that was also false as he was most likely bidding at the same time since all this happened in a matter of a few minutes.
I will even concede that dman may have placed the 4 cent winning bid before or as I placed the 7 cent bid, because when I placed that bid I immediately went to place my next bid when i saw the hint had not changed and the auction had closed.
Either way, the hint should still have been expansive enough to include the 4 cent bid.
As I stated earlier I expect a learning curve before I can start to succeed with any amount of success I just expect that the information provided to me by the company to not be false or misleading, I can fail well enough without their help.

muchomaas
  • muchomaas
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Avatarrxxxx, I think I get where you are coming from, but go back and re-read Smartbid's post. There's a difference between the lowest unique bid, and the lowest available space on the board. Let me give you an example from an auction from a few months ago. I mix up my strategy from time to time. Every now and then, I will just unload. I was playing against a couple of heavy-handed players, and I figured that everyone would have 1-5 covered. I covered nearly everything, at about 65% of retail from 4 up. I won, but I was shocked when I found out that nobody had 1 or 2 covered. Point is that the "hints" will tell you where the lowest unique BID is, not the lowest unique space on the board.

From a strategy perspective, you plan what you are going to cover, and leave open, and when you are going to cover it, based on who you are playing against, and how you want to try to win. The hints only report what is going on, at the time you place your bid. Usually, things change quickly as the auction approaches its end. That's what makes the play so challenging.

Edited by muchomaas, 10 November 2011 - 11:46 PM.

Chris @ Penny Purses
  • Chris @ Penny Purses
  • **Forum Sponsor**
  • Members
  • 1,071 posts

If it were my site, and I felt you honestly misunderstood what happened, I would return at least some of your bids.
PennyPurses.com The ORIGINAL penny auction site for purses.

SmartBid
  • SmartBid
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Thanks folks for explaining the situation here - muchomass gave an excellent explanation actually. We think about what the hint should provide a lot at SmartBid (as you can tell!) and there is a finer nuance about whether the hint should provide the current lowest unique bid or the current lowest unique hole. The reason we provide the former is because it can be part of a bidder's strategy to intentionally leave hole and plug them later. If we give it away - it takes the whole fun away of making smart strategies at SmartBid. Here is an excellent article written by muchomass - Tips to Win on SmartBid

Having said this, Avatarrxxxx let's talk about what can we do here in the support email. We appreciate the hints discussion here in PAW and would be open to hear more opinions around it. This is one of the reasons we love PAW memebrs so much! We are celebrating "Veteran's day" tomorrow and giving away "VETERAN" coupon code for 10% bonus. And muchomass and babyfidegette, we haven't seen in a long while! Everything good at your end?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I wish I had read Muchomass' article first would have saved me a few bids coming from Quibids into this format. Nice writing by the way.
Smartbids I sent you a email in customer service.

Thanks again all for you help.

BabyFidgette
  • BabyFidgette
  • Members
  • 1,154 posts

Everything good here, thanks for asking! I'm moving, so spending time doing that (mortgage process is long here in Jersey) and some time on PAs trying to win stuff for my house!

BabyFidgette
  • BabyFidgette
  • Members
  • 1,154 posts

I wish I had read Muchomass' article first would have saved me a few bids coming from Quibids into this format. Nice writing by the way.
Smartbids I sent you a email in customer service.

Thanks again all for you help.

He gave a great example!

KafkaA
  • KafkaA
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Here is the piece that you are missing I think Avatarrxxxx. 4 was blank when you received your hint that the current lowest unique bid was between 7 and I think you said 14. In other words, there was no check mark on #4 because no one before you had bid on the #4 and hence, it is logically impossible for #4 to be the number that is the lowest unique bid when no one has bid on it. This is the strategy that was played against you. While you were bidding and locating the first two lowest unique bids, the person that won, who had set that board up to be the winner before you came along (by leaving the #4 blank, but then placing lower unique bids on higher numbers than #4, specifically something between 7 and 14 and probably after this long string of numbers filled with blanks for you to find until he knew that you had placed enough bids to have carried the auction so close to closing that he could safely return to the board, bid on the #4, thereby taking over the lowest unique bid and winning the auctionn without you ever even receiving the clue to find the #4 as the new lowest unique. This person is really, really good and counting bids to do this, because I have been up searching for lowest unique's in the 100's and received my next clue and its back to being between 1 and 5 again. In this case, someone was playing the same strategy, but not counting the bids as well as the contender that you met up with.

They still won however, as they left other blanks in the board to protect themselves...so each time I was bidding on numbers higher than a blank they had held onto, they would click that blank and do this again and again, until they won. Its a tricky strategy and very impressive indeed.
Thanks and I hope this helped a bit.

Whomever it is that set the board up like that probably left holes all through the board, in case his bid on #4 failed to end the auction, in which case, SMARTBID should have then provided you with a clue to find that #4. This has happened to me so many times. I thin I am getting closer to winning and then suddenly, the clue drops back down to the single digits!! Live and learn.....so they say, but in all honestly I still can't beat this is many cases and don't know if there is really a way to do so, other than to bid every number on the board between your last clue and your next. Which another earlier respondent pointed out an commented on how horribly expensive it is to protest youself.

lizzo101
  • lizzo101
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

KafkaA, holy crap thank you so much!!! I have studied, observed and read, for countless hours, trying to grasp the art of LU auctions. And my success in doing so has
Been less than zero. But your explanation
Made it crystal clear and I "got it" just wanted to say thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users