Started by PennyAuctionWatch , Feb 08 2012 10:21 PM

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

As many of you know Penny Auction Watch has come under attack countless times since I launched this site in '09. The DDoS attack that we experienced on Monday is not the first instance of attack. I am also being barraged with false reviews on the popular website reputation review site Web of Trust. The reviews that have been left there falsely state that this site is a phishing/malware scam site, promotes penny auction sites that I own, which I do not, never have owned a penny auction site aside from our free practice demo bot site shillo.com, and that I am a scam affiliate marketer. There are many affiliate marketing blogs that rank high for penny auctions, Penny Auction Watch is not one of them. I strongly believe in principles and I will continue to fight for consumers by warning others and providing a platform for bidders, eventhough doing this is super cutthroat and a lot of my time feels to be wasted and for vain, I know it's not. I want PAW to continue to be a place where you can voice your reviews/opinions here. I do not gain very much from this, nor am I asking to. All I am requesting from you right now is that you please please please go pennyauctionwatch.com | WOT Reputation Scorecard | WOT (Web of Trust) and register then leave a true review of PAW for the world to see. I am currently rated as highly poor/untrusted a a site for malware, which as you know it is now. Thank you so much for your help and appreciation.

With gratitiude,
Amanda
PennyAuctionWatch.com Founder
  • AnniesBid likes this

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

MidPennyBill
  • MidPennyBill
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • 1,665 posts

My goodness...
I went down the line for PA sites and forums on WOT, and I didnt find anyone in good standing, and all of the reviews are by the same people and saying exactly the same thing... I gave you a good review, please do the same for midpenny.com...

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Thanks Bill, I really appreciate it! Will see what your's is too. Notice the jonvkmedia commentor? He was affiliated with the site I exposed and is now gone (BidMacs.com) he left two comments. 1 negative for PAW, 1 positive for his own business!

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

tnvolfan2
  • tnvolfan2
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Happy to post for PAW, it is a great site.(and for you to Bill :) )

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

My goodness...
I went down the line for PA sites and forums on WOT, and I didnt find anyone in good standing, and all of the reviews are by the same people and saying exactly the same thing... I gave you a good review, please do the same for midpenny.com...

I notice they are going down the line basically and are putting bad scores for any site that has anything to do with penny auctions or have penny auction in the domain. You may want to flag these comments as spam because that is all they are. This is doing a great disservice to the internet community.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

BabyFidgette
  • BabyFidgette
  • Members
  • 1,154 posts

I will do a review too! Just give me a bit. I wanna go to the real computer. I noticed that the reviews are bad bc "all PAs are scams." People need to shut up when they don't know what they are talking about! We are trying to OUT them! Duh!

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

I will do a review too! Just give me a bit. I wanna go to the real computer. I noticed that the reviews are bad bc "all PAs are scams." People need to shut up when they don't know what they are talking about! We are trying to OUT them! Duh!

Thanks! Yeah that is all they are doing, well except for the retaliatory comments...

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

MidPennyBill
  • MidPennyBill
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • 1,665 posts

Thank you!

kimbers
  • kimbers
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

OK, I did my part. And i was very truthful and honest by the way.

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Thank you kimbers!

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

pichicago
  • pichicago
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Done

BabyFidgette
  • BabyFidgette
  • Members
  • 1,154 posts

Done! For PAW and MPB! Man I should have checked my grammar and spelling first! Oopsies. :redface: Oh, and Amanda, I wouldn't worry too much about this website! Quibids has a poor rating too! We all know this is one of the top PA sites.

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Here we go .. again.. couldn't be further from the truth what he's saying about me and realbidtowin. I don't get free bids from sites either. Gah. pennyauctionwatch.com | Forum | WOT (Web of Trust)

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Oh I'm not worried BF (thanks ;)), been there, done that been bashed, hacked, sued, ddos'd, don't even have the t-shirt, whatever! :) Thanks guys. Now let's start a fun thread, anyone want to start it?

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

BabyFidgette
  • BabyFidgette
  • Members
  • 1,154 posts

Obviously concerned-me knows the name RBTW and his real name so has been in the PA world and probably been burned by him and is now taking it out on you. Real mature.

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

Obviously concerned-me knows the name RBTW and his real name so has been in the PA world and probably been burned by him and is now taking it out on you. Real mature.

He is so wrong. I haven't actually won anything now in quite awhile - LabelDoll was the last site I won items on and did I ever get free bids from them? NOPE> I no longer can afford to play penny auctions because I lost too much money and I can't keep up with users using bot scripts, etc and I don't let my bidding name be known to anyone not even as he says my "buddy" RBTW so yet again another instance of malicious lies posted by someone this site has exposed.

Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

realbidtowin
  • realbidtowin
  • Members
  • 2,272 posts

For the record I have never revieced a bid that I did not pay for, receive for a auctions error (like others) or win from any pa site, it has been offered many time but I refused, am too much under the microscope to accept free bids. As far as my knowing Amanda we have never met, never talked, occasionally an email regarding a scam site, infact my last comminication (email) with Amanda was back in Oct regarding the BID-bob scam. It just so happens that I an nothng but one of the 1st members of PAW when it started up nearly 3 years ago that the only reason why it is suggested I have a vested interest, fact is I am nothing more than a loud mouth member with no interest what so ever in PAW.

Look for yourself I doubt I have initiated a recommendation for maybe 3 sites in 3 years, clearly since 95% of all sites go out of business in a short time I have a policy of not recommending sites besides the last thing I want to do is create competition for my self. I do embrace PAWS vision and i have outed and torn apat many PA's over the years but everyone of them (do your homework) ripped off the bidding community. I will comment on a sites shipping, management, and site in a positive manor but those are not recommendations but observation provoked by discusion of that site.

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

Your very welcome Amanda,

For the record we all need to work together on this. Not only to clear PAW's name but also to clear the fake/fraudulent fly by night ratings and posts that were posted by those who simply do not like this industry. I'm recommending the following to all those who would like to help.

1. Sign up for mywot
2. goto the sites you want to help
3. FLAG all posts that are done with the mass submit tool (most are just a link calling the site a scam based on a forum post on mywot)
4. VOTE DOWN: the same comments that you just flagged
5. Place your own factual review
6. Place your own Factual VOTE
7. Vote UP the comments you agree with

We all need to work together since the entire industry is suffering from this lack of understanding by those on that site. If someone has the mywot toolbar and searches PA sites in google they will see a red ring (untrustworthy) rating and may skip the site for that reason alone. I have also been told that somewhere within facebook there is a similar connectivity where it could actually popup a warning about your site based on the reviews found on mywot (however i've been unable to replicate this one)

Again - WE ALL need to work together to fix this growing problem before it's too late.

Chris @ Penny Purses
  • Chris @ Penny Purses
  • **Forum Sponsor**
  • Members
  • 1,071 posts

https://www.mywot.co...urses.com<br />
Please do the same for us. What a joke. I admire the idea of this website but this is crazy that they lump all penny auctions together.
PennyPurses.com The ORIGINAL penny auction site for purses.

AnniesBid
  • AnniesBid
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

WOT is a good tool to identify sites with poor standards & practices, but what it is doing now is not reasonable: i.e., voting down an entire industry provided that we actually do what we promise and don't mislead.

So you all know, none of these votes matter much - WOT weights your vote based on how many other ratings you've made. Of course, if everyone who cares about this issue can rate 1,000 sites we will have critical mass to counter act the effects. I know another forum owner that worked to get all the forums including PennyAuctionWatch treated better in the ratings since they are not penny auction sites themselves. AFAIK this did happen. They are trying to get the CEO of WOT to handle this better also for all of us. If that does not work, then we'll need to organize! :o

I hope that bidders participate. As much as it may seem good to bidders to have a situation like this that discouraged newcomers to PA sites (which will limit competition), keep in mind that the vitality of PA sites depends on new bidders and you'll only hurt the industry as a whole and the ability to continue to get deals by not participating.

Bargainsandfun
  • Bargainsandfun
  • Members
  • 546 posts

WOT is a good tool to identify sites with poor standards & practices, but what it is doing now is not reasonable: i.e., voting down an entire industry provided that we actually do what we promise and don't mislead.So you all know, none of these votes matter much - WOT weights your vote based on how many other ratings you've made. Of course, if everyone who cares about this issue can rate 1,000 sites we will have critical mass to counter act the effects. I know another forum owner that worked to get all the forums including PennyAuctionWatch treated better in the ratings since they are not penny auction sites themselves. AFAIK this did happen. They are trying to get the CEO of WOT to handle this better also for all of us. If that does not work, then we'll need to organize! :oI hope that bidders participate. As much as it may seem good to bidders to have a situation like this that discouraged newcomers to PA sites (which will limit competition), keep in mind that the vitality of PA sites depends on new bidders and you'll only hurt the industry as a whole and the ability to continue to get deals by not participating.

Wot may indeed be a great tool - but it is being abused and that is the problem. Here's why this all matters.Look at the users who have rated every single PA site out there - they are considered platinum users within the wot community. Since they are considered platinum users the ratings they place and comments they make are given more credit than that of anyone else. What this means is that if you go and vote for say tiddlywinkauctions.com and one of these platinum users has voted exactly the opposite (lets say they rate it all at 0 and you rate it all at 100) in a perfect concept that would give you a reliable score of around 50. However since these platinum users have more weight to their scores than you do - it takes you 100 or more users to counter act one of these users. Multiply that by the 7-10 that have commented on EVERY SINGLE Penny auction and now you need 700-1000 users just to correct the fraudulent activities of a few.These platinum users don't even have to enter each site manually like the new users signing up. They are given a Mass Rating Tool - which in essence allows them to enter a list of domain names (like the one posted in the forum there) and submit to all of them at one time. Thereby compounding this problemNow lets do a little bit of math here on one specific person who is a platinum user and tell me something isn't a little fishy - They have been a member for about 2 years (lets call it 2 years) 365 * 2 = 730 - this specific user has over 430,000 ratings and 460,000 posts - so lets add these together making it 890,000 entries. Divide this by 730 = 1220 entries in a single day or 50 per hour or about 1 a minute. That means he is working 24 hours a day 7 days a week for 2 years with no sleep, no holidays, no time off what-so-ever. I know myself I can not view that many sites in a day and form an opinion of them (not an honest one anyway). Let alone have any actual interaction that would justify any type of comment what-so-ever. Even if I could, how much time would that leave for actually placing the review and comment.Just some food for thought -

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

sorry guys - don't know why but the site threw that entire last post into 1 paragraph - i tried to edit it but it did the same thing again!

Edited by Bargainsandfun, 16 February 2012 - 07:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users