Background Image

Newbie! Start up advise? Aussie based! :)

Started by Aussiepennyauctions , Apr 09 2013 12:08 PM

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Aussiepennyauctions
  • Aussiepennyauctions
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi all

I am in the processs of setting up a penny auction site in Australia. One thing I am having trouble with is scripts? As there isn't really this kind of thing here I am torn as to weather I should use a brought script through somewhere like penny auction wizard. Or see a developer to try get them to design and build the site from scratch?

Any recommendations? How much roughly will it be for script or development of the site? I am super excited to get this going here but the most crucial part is getting the site right and something capable of the traffic and speed. I've spent the last 2 hours going through all the threads trying to find information but no luck :(
Thanks in advance for any replys :12:

Tristan

PennyAuctionWatch
  • PennyAuctionWatch
  • PAW Founder
  • Administrators
  • 6,091 posts

You can try posting to sites like elance/scriptlance and get quotes from developers who have set up sites before! Also phpPennyAuction is a commonly used script.. Let us know what you find out and if anyone has any advice or tips please chime in here! Welcome! We look forward to learning more about your site.

I believe that the more penny auction bidders that come together and post their honest experiences, exposing the shady-scam penny auction sites, the less and less shady-scam sites will stop being the majority in the penny auction industry. Stand with me.

Penny Auction News, Reviews, Directory & Discussion!
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!

To the Scam Artists: Enough is Enough

Aussiepennyauctions
  • Aussiepennyauctions
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I'm currently looking at -
Penny auction wizards (having quite a bit of trouble getting anywhere with them though)
Your pa script
Php penny auction
And beyond solutions- I quite like the responce from this one, personalized and looks quite professional. Has anyone used them?

Aussiepennyauctions
  • Aussiepennyauctions
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Thanks for that, I swear I replayed earlier?

Ive narrowed down to -
Php penny auctions
and your pa script

Anyone have any feedback on either?? And without sounding stupid, why is php so cheap? I feel like there must be a massive catch and I don't want to be using something not as good?

Anything in particular I need to check for on software?

KuduBids
  • KuduBids
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

I would recommend you hire a developer & a designer to do the site rather than buying a script if you have the budget. Don't take what may seem to be the easy way and hire one person to code and design the site. Coding & designing are two different things and while people say they can do both, the quality of work will not be the same as hiring someone specializing in one field from my experience with 15 years of managing teams.

Php penny auctions is a decent script. It does have the least amount of bugs than we have seen in other scripts. There are a few great programmers that know the script very well and can help you with any changes/fixes you need for it. From what I read, support from the company is not really there but that seems common with most of the script providers.

As far as a script being able to handle traffic, look and invest more into a decent server and setting it up correctly. Most of the scripts can handle traffic but if you don't have a good server setup in the most efficient way it wont really matter what script you have.

Good-luck on your venture!
"The Most Trusted - Top Rated Penny Auction Website"
www.KuduBids.com

Aussiepennyauctions
  • Aussiepennyauctions
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I've decided too use php penny auctions professional package, seems to be the most positive feedback and Duncan has been great answering all my questions I've bombarded him with and helped me pick a good web host. I tried finding a decent web designer / developer but everything here was very expensive (about 15 times the cost) and My dad works in IT and can do programming so I will get him to look over it if anything needs to be done.

Just waiting for my accountant to finalize my company details and then I will start getting it all together :D

Baddad65
  • Baddad65
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Tristan,
Have you considered purchasing a working PA site? We have one that utilizes a well known script from the US, but is now owned by an Australian company. We have also had extensive front end work done by our own programmer. To see the site go to www.FUNderBID.com.

iwontgiveup
  • iwontgiveup
  • Members
  • 908 posts

Have you got your merchant account setup already?

Aussiepennyauctions
  • Aussiepennyauctions
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Not yet no

iwontgiveup
  • iwontgiveup
  • Members
  • 908 posts

I highly suggest you start looking for one NOW before you do anything penny auction related. Above all else, it will most likely be one of the hardest things to obtain. The penny auction industry is flagged immediately as VERY HIGH RISK and no merchant processors will approve you. Going with just PayPal alone as your payment gateway is a very big gamble and I highly recommend against it. If and once you do find a merchant processor who is willing to accept you, the 2 payment gateways that seem to be most popular and most credible within this industry is PayPal and Authorize.net. PayPal underwrites their own transactions, therefore you don't need a merchant account with them, but Authorize is just a payment gateway and nothing else, therefore you do need a merchant account.

Just my two cents on helping ya out in case you didn't already know! I wish you all the successes in life no matter which path you choose!

God Bless!

Aussiepennyauctions
  • Aussiepennyauctions
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I've started looking, PayPal is the most known payment gateway here. Hopefully in Australia it's not to hard, I haven't heard of the others, hopefully I will find something that's more commen for Australia. Thanks for the heads up!

bill21
  • bill21
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

you bought the pack of Php penny auctions?? i want to setting up a penny auction site ...any feedback???

bill21
  • bill21
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

if anyone can help me with my new site...

Aussiepennyauctions
  • Aussiepennyauctions
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Feedback on php- you get what you pay for.. Over a month still not up, takes them 3 days to reply to me when I ask what the hold up is.. Great support UNTIL you pay, I've requested a refund 3 times with no reply only that have I changed my password
As they can't get in anymore to my server. Couldnt afford to keep waiting with that kind of service. I Have cut my losses and gone with Anthony from your p.a great service so far. Will let you know how I go. :)

bill21
  • bill21
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Feedback on php- you get what you pay for.. Over a month still not up, takes them 3 days to reply to me when I ask what the hold up is.. Great support UNTIL you pay, I've requested a refund 3 times with no reply only that have I changed my password
As they can't get in anymore to my server. Couldnt afford to keep waiting with that kind of service. I Have cut my losses and gone with Anthony from your p.a great service so far. Will let you know how I go. :)

almost to buy the package until I read your answer, can you recommend the page you are using or script please ??

Aussiepennyauctions
  • Aussiepennyauctions
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I went with Anthony from your pa script. He's fantastic, great support and my site is actually up! Within a few days! Not compete but not far away I can not reccomend him highly enough! Still no reply from php about a refund either :( good prices but no service when you need if..

bill21
  • bill21
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

[quote name='Aussiepennyauctions']I went with Anthony from your pa script. He's fantastic, great support and my site is actually up! Within a few days! Not compete but not far away I can not reccomend him highly enough! Still no reply from php about a refund either :( good prices but no service when you need if..[/QUOTE

can you give me the page or anthony contact please???

ronniece
  • ronniece
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Need to check also your law whether its permited or not

iwontgiveup
  • iwontgiveup
  • Members
  • 908 posts

Need to check also your law whether its permited or not

Laws don't really mean anything. Government complains, then simply base the company offshore and the government you currently have gets no tax money from you any longer nor can they heckle you for a single issue either. Of course if it's really bad, then they will not permit you at all, or permit anyone from their country to access your site. If it gets to that point, and they win their case, you will simply block anyone's IP who is trying to access from that country.

Anthony Rosner
  • Anthony Rosner
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

[quote name='bill21'][quote name='Aussiepennyauctions']I went with Anthony from your pa script. He's fantastic, great support and my site is actually up! Within a few days! Not compete but not far away I can not reccomend him highly enough! Still no reply from php about a refund either :( good prices but no service when you need if..[/QUOTE

can you give me the page or anthony contact please???[/QUOTE]

support [@]your-pascript.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users