Is WellBid.com a Legit Penny Auction? 23 Items Active Now

wellbidWellBid.com claims to have completed an absurdly high number of penny auctions, a banner on the top right corner of their website states: “385,813 Finished Auctions even 95% cheaper.”

Is WellBid a Legit Penny Auction?

WellBid is owned and operated by Welmory Limited, with registered offices based in Nicosia, Cyprus.

Operator - Welmory Limited with its registered office in Nicosia (Cyprus) P.C. 1065 Arch. Makariou III, 2-4/703, formed under the laws of Cyprus and registered in the Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Tourism, Department of Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver Nicosia, under No. HE 245903

According to a LinkedIn page for Welmory Ltd the company owns other penny auctions as well as WellBid in a number of other countries and languages. Each site claims to have offered the same 385,813 completed auctions, but the active items all all different across each site.

Their domain products include the following:

• za1cent.sk
  • por1centimo.es
  • 10forintert.hu
  • za1cent.sk
  • za1korunu.cz
  • per1cent.it
  • us.wellbid.com
  • wellbid.de
  • wellbid.fr

“The Operator of the Service is the company Welmory Limited with its registered office in Nicosia (Cyprus) P.C. 1065 Arch. Makariou III, 2-4/703, formed under the laws of Cyprus and registered in the Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Tourism, Department of Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver Nicosia, under No. HE 245903 with an initial capital of 1,001,000 EUR (one milion one thousand euro), conducting auctions in Europe (United Kingdom, France, Italy, Hungary, Poland, Czech, Slovakia, Spain, Portugal, Russia), Asia, and the Americas. WellBid.com Service is systematically developed. Our goal is to offer users the most interesting forms of competition for exhibited items as well as to provide the most attractive prices of items and services auctioned.”

According to Alexa, WellBid’s traffic ranking is 305,237. WebsiteOutlook says the site is hosted in Poland at Beyond.pl sp. z o.o data center and is “most popular in the United Arab Emirates.”

Have you bid on WellBid?  One bidder claims to have won items but not receive them:

The following review was posted to ScamBook:

“Wellbid.co.uk

Complaint 150782 Details Scan your bills for fraudThumbs up 0 Thumbs down Flag
Date Occurred: 08/25/2012Reported Damages: $494.00

Welmory Limited, trading as wellbid.co.uk.

An online auction site for which you purchase bids which are then used in auctions. If you win the auction, you pay the current bid price (in addition to the cost of the bids used) and any postage specified and then should receive the goods.

But you don’t get the goods and they never reply to emails, messages sent via their help pages or even to the dispute resolution service run by PayPal (through which the payments are made).

A quite sophisticated scam; the clues are there that it probably is a scam (bad spelling and grammar used throughout the site) but the use of PayPal lends it an air of respectability – that’s what fooled me.”

Do you have a similar less than favorable experience with this penny auction site? Let us know, discuss WellBid and all penny auctions with us in our Penny Auction Forum!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

18 comments… add one

• fernando manuel santos estrela July 30, 2013, 4:15 pm

fis uma compra no bidou bids inc.no valor de 2.69.cad,e descontarao 39.98.euros,e nao recebi nada.o que posso fazer,? nao cosigo,contacto telefonico.pesso,AJUDA.OBRIGADO.o meo contacto e 931947909 portugal

• Wellbid Portugal August 12, 2013, 2:36 am

Olá Fernando,
    se você tiver qualquer dúvida ou problema com o nosso Site, por favor entre em contacto com o nosso Atendimento ao Cliente através deste endereço e-mail: supportpt@wellbid.com.
    A equipa do wellbid.com está sempre disposta a lhe ajudar.
    Com os melhores cumprimentos,
    a Equipa do wellbid.com

• pgarret09 February 4, 2014, 5:43 pm

I joined Wellbid .com last week and won 3 small auctions . (3 x amazon gift cards)
    A lot of emails went to and fro and i feared the worst but today i got a phone call from their office in Cypress to confirm my id etc. Within 15 mins i received my auction wins in cash value to my pay pal account ,so thankfully i have to eat my words. They are legit and even tho it took a little time for verification all ended wwll.

• pgarret09 February 4, 2014, 5:46 pm

sorry i meant to add that i am not a wellbid employee . I was stung by Bidrivals (remember them) a while back and was just quite weary .

• Bidwinner February 26, 2014, 12:05 pm

I’ve played on Wellbid.com’ and earlier today won a £15 amazon voucher and 200 bid pack. After the win I received and email I’m not impressed with. You have to verify your account and suggests including photo ID via driving licence, passport, utility bill, bank statement. You have about 10 days to reply or your account is blocked!! I’m not sending then anything like the above and have emailed then to ask why they require it after theyactivated my account, allowed to to buy bids with a verified PayPal account. You even have to add your address to register so what more do they need. It might be genuine but I’m sending nothing and will stick to ebay.. There is even a win limit to keep an eye on. Be warned!

• Raymond Tierney March 31, 2014, 10:06 pm

You gave me a code to activate have tried lots of times to activate this with no success. What do I have too do??????????

Reg’ds Ray

• Amanda Lee April 9, 2014, 10:14 am

Ray, not sure what you mean? I didn’t give any codes to activate anything as I do not own this penny auction site just informing users about it!

• JAX April 2, 2014, 5:07 am

i have wasted around 300 pounds on well bid and i haven’t won any item. i have observed and i am sure that the auction is operated by auto bots. Auto bots automatically bids in auctions until the desired price is reached. its a nice way of looting money. you just spent money on bids but u cant get anything.

• Amanda Lee April 9, 2014, 10:13 am

:( @JAX – that can be the case.

• Krzysztof from Poland July 21, 2014, 12:23 pm

You are absolutely right.

The Wellbid auctions are tun by robots.

When you look at statistics you will see the hundreds or thousands of bids spent for one auction – those are true.

On other side you will see very funny – small and cheap finished auctions – those were won by robots and those actions are fake.

More over the price of items shown by by Wellbid of all items is 2 times bigger than on the marked.

I had lost 130 Euro and I’m win nothing except the bids, and I have same amount of bids as at the beginning.

Do not use it.

• Clive May 5, 2014, 9:46 am

I was interested in wellbid but when I started to check the auctions I could not find any bidders that were not using auto bid . I would state that this is not normal activity as you will always find bidders bidding manually

To find no users bidding manually can only mean that this is a scam and to be honest needs to be shut down for the sake of the genuine operators in this industry

Or the operators need to explain themselves

• Lynda Bayliss May 5, 2014, 5:35 pm

I have just joined wellbid and was just sat here watching some people bidding for about 5 mins well its a scam unless your bidding by your self for the last 3 bid gonni1 has bid it up with no one else bidding when it gets to 1 second left there he goes bidding again
    no one else stay away i know i will.

• Garry June 29, 2014, 7:39 pm

Garry,
    For people who are afraid that quickly lose their bids proposing deals:
    going with this link you will receive in 2000 bids in price 1000 bids
    come in. and see! only for new players who register for the first time.

• jotaman August 19, 2014, 11:21 pm

I have spent many hours studying, observing and monitoring countless auctions on wellbid.com, before plunging in with my own hard earned BIDs. And the site is plagued with bots. The only legit, bot-free, auctions seem to be the ones for begginers (users that have never won an auction). All the others have bots appearing whenever a human user is left alone at the auction (or is about to be left alone and win). Bots have the ability of knowing how many autobids you have left and so if you are in a autobid war with another human and you only have 5 bids to go and the adversary has 10, a bot will appear so that none of you wins the auction.
    They are fairly easy to spot too because of their computer generated nicks. Humans normally go for meaninful or at least “readable” nicknames whereas bots usually have random spelling and common formats, like: “agaekiert84″, “hicjitin29″, “aktywista”, “laselus86″, … But the easiest way to spot a bot is by seeing a nick like these ALWAYS PLAYING AGAINST A “NORMAL” HUMAN NICK/USER!!

It’s a shame that no one can bring this scam to a halt. It’s a fun method of bidding because it envolves strategy, but not like this. You are defeated right from the start. Nevertheless I recommend people to subscribe the initial bid package, win a begginer’s auction and cash the profit directly to PayPal and never play again because you will not win anything before you spend much more than the value of what you win!

• Lewis September 6, 2014, 3:15 am

They are a FRAUD – they would not verify auctions I had won until I provided them a copy of a photo id (they requested a drivers liscense or passport) and verification of an address & this they even suggested I send them a copy of a bank statement have nothing to do with them

• Amanda Lee September 6, 2014, 11:57 am

Wow really!? Do you have the email from them?

• Mr Harbour September 28, 2014, 7:16 pm

Wellbid is a blatant rip off, I’ve spent £300 trying to win on 2 items only to be outbid any normal person sat at home would have backed down ages ago, but they just kept bidding. These are either bots or staff bidding against you. Also the items are vastly overpriced by at least 30%

If you have a Facebook account. out them and warn others, also write to Google so they lose their page rank.

The ridiculous part is, they’d make a lot more money if they just played legitimately.

I will never return

• bluebellhill October 2, 2014, 1:42 pm

Last went on the site on 26th September, On the 1st and 2nd October there were 4 attempts to ger money from my Paypal account.
    Reported it as a fraud to Paypal they so not enough evidence.

Don’t get involved.